Hi fish ID please

Caught a fish and you don't know what it is? Ask here...
Tonyzee
Rank: Australian Salmon
Rank: Australian Salmon
Posts: 356
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:56 pm

Hi fish ID please

Postby Tonyzee » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:20 am

Caught this last night
20181120_111348.png



Remove these ads.

User avatar
cahoona
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 350
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:49 am

Re: Hi fish ID please

Postby cahoona » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:30 am

Jackass morwong

Tonyzee
Rank: Australian Salmon
Rank: Australian Salmon
Posts: 356
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:56 pm

Re: Hi fish ID please

Postby Tonyzee » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:48 am

Edible?

greggo
Rank: King George Whiting
Rank: King George Whiting
Posts: 520
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:05 am
Location: Berwick

Re: Hi fish ID please

Postby greggo » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:48 am

I cant understand why so many fishos on here kill the fish, take a photo, then ask if it's edible. What if it's not edible...do you throw the dead fish back?
I reckon if you're unsure of the fish, take a photo, chuck it back alive, then ask the question.

repspec
Rank: Cephalopod
Rank: Cephalopod
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:28 am

Re: Hi fish ID please

Postby repspec » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:56 am

greggo wrote:I cant understand why so many fishos on here kill the fish, take a photo, then ask if it's edible. What if it's not edible...do you throw the dead fish back?
I reckon if you're unsure of the fish, take a photo, chuck it back alive, then ask the question.


:good:


I cant understand how so many people can see so much detail and assume so much from 1 line and 1 photo.

The photo looks like its from a pier, fish is blury(ish) in the photo...makes me think its still alive and went back. Where did he say he killed it?

greggo
Rank: King George Whiting
Rank: King George Whiting
Posts: 520
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:05 am
Location: Berwick

Re: Hi fish ID please

Postby greggo » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:12 pm

repspec wrote:
I cant understand how so many people can see so much detail and assume so much from 1 line and 1 photo.

The photo looks like its from a pier, fish is blury(ish) in the photo...makes me think its still alive and went back. Where did he say he killed it?

The dorsal fin has flattened which is usually a good indicator of a dead or nearly dead fish.



Remove these ads.

User avatar
Trumpeter
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 546
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:37 pm

Re: Hi fish ID please

Postby Trumpeter » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:23 pm

The eye looks like it still had life in it and they're not bad eating either.

User avatar
hornet
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 2615
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:55 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: Hi fish ID please

Postby hornet » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:35 pm

cahoona wrote:Jackass morwong



I think your right...

http://www.ausph.com/forum/photoholics- ... ss-morwong

User avatar
Kimtown
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 1353
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:29 pm

Re: Hi fish ID please

Postby Kimtown » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:57 pm

greggo wrote:
repspec wrote:
I cant understand how so many people can see so much detail and assume so much from 1 line and 1 photo.

The photo looks like its from a pier, fish is blury(ish) in the photo...makes me think its still alive and went back. Where did he say he killed it?

The dorsal fin has flattened which is usually a good indicator of a dead or nearly dead fish.

May have been gut hooked too and died just after photo was taken

Hey look, we can all make assumptions based on limited info. This isn't a facebook fishing page. Let's give our fellow members the benefit of the doubt hey.

User avatar
cahoona
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 350
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:49 am

Re: Hi fish ID please

Postby cahoona » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:19 pm

Tonyzee wrote:Edible?

yes taste alright



Remove these ads.


Return to “Fish ID”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests