heading out the entrance

Flinders, Shoreham, Point Leo, Balnarring, Merricks Beach, Somers, Stony Point, Crib Point
rb85
Rank: Gummy Shark
Rank: Gummy Shark
Posts: 1622
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:08 pm
Location: The Ocean

Re: heading out the entrance

Postby rb85 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:49 pm

phil1818 wrote:
4liters wrote:I've done it in a kayak in 2.5m swell coming in against the tide, you'll be fine


Now iam just embarrassed :o_0:


What are you targeting offshore Phil? Other option is head to the eastern entrance if you didn't have specific marks in mind.



Remove these ads.

phil1818
Rank: Cephalopod
Rank: Cephalopod
Posts: 147
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:42 pm

Re: heading out the entrance

Postby phil1818 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:53 pm

Had a good chat with Gawaine Blake the other week and want to target offshore gummies but slipped my mind to discuss with him going out and coming back in iv done it through the rip in PPB but bit unsure about the Western entrance

blacklab99
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 539
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:41 pm
Location: malvern east

Re: heading out the entrance

Postby blacklab99 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:02 pm

phil1818 wrote:
4liters wrote:I've done it in a kayak in 2.5m swell coming in against the tide, you'll be fine


Now iam just embarrassed :o_0:


Bud, nothing what so ever to feel embarrassed.
I grew up on small, dangerous bars back home, they were dangerous things, with sand bars changing consistantly.
So I guess, I could say, for near 20 years, every launch involve these bar crossings. It was a done thing back home, to go out with someone. Sometimes when u head in after a day out, there were boaters, new to the area waiting, which you immediately unloaded your boat then take them out for a bar crossing, so they could navigate safely, it was the done thing you did.
Hey, when I got back into fishing a few years back here, I had to ask for help on a drive on trailer !!! never ever done it before after 30 plus years boat ownership................

Col

rb85
Rank: Gummy Shark
Rank: Gummy Shark
Posts: 1622
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:08 pm
Location: The Ocean

Re: heading out the entrance

Postby rb85 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:03 pm

phil1818 wrote:Had a good chat with Gawaine Blake the other week and want to target offshore gummies but slipped my mind to discuss with him going out and coming back in iv done it through the rip in PPB but bit unsure about the Western entrance


Gawaine fishes a lot of ground that can be accessed by either the eastern or western entrance. Theres no secret to what he's doing he does it well mind you. Theres very good ground all the way between the eastern and western entrance so theres an alternative to the western if your not keen on going out the west. Full respect for asking the question rather than take a risk.

phil1818
Rank: Cephalopod
Rank: Cephalopod
Posts: 147
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:42 pm

Re: heading out the entrance

Postby phil1818 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:07 pm

rb85 wrote:
phil1818 wrote:Had a good chat with Gawaine Blake the other week and want to target offshore gummies but slipped my mind to discuss with him going out and coming back in iv done it through the rip in PPB but bit unsure about the Western entrance


Gawaine fishes a lot of ground that can be accessed by either the eastern or western entrance. Theres no secret to what he's doing he does it well mind you. Theres very good ground all the way between the eastern and western entrance so theres an alternative to the western if your not keen on going out the west. Full respect for asking the question rather than take a risk.



Cheers mate, I take it the eastern entrance is a bit more tame?

phil1818
Rank: Cephalopod
Rank: Cephalopod
Posts: 147
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:42 pm

Re: heading out the entrance

Postby phil1818 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:08 pm

blacklab99 wrote:
phil1818 wrote:
4liters wrote:I've done it in a kayak in 2.5m swell coming in against the tide, you'll be fine


Now iam just embarrassed :o_0:


Bud, nothing what so ever to feel embarrassed.
I grew up on small, dangerous bars back home, they were dangerous things, with sand bars changing consistantly.
So I guess, I could say, for near 20 years, every launch involve these bar crossings. It was a done thing back home, to go out with someone. Sometimes when u head in after a day out, there were boaters, new to the area waiting, which you immediately unloaded your boat then take them out for a bar crossing, so they could navigate safely, it was the done thing you did.
Hey, when I got back into fishing a few years back here, I had to ask for help on a drive on trailer !!! never ever done it before after 30 plus years boat ownership................

Col

Cheers man, all gotta learn somehow :a_goodjob:



Remove these ads.

rb85
Rank: Gummy Shark
Rank: Gummy Shark
Posts: 1622
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:08 pm
Location: The Ocean

Re: heading out the entrance

Postby rb85 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:13 pm

Its very easy follow the channel markers head out. Swell wraps around it doesnt hit as direct as the western entrance and is very protected from most prevailing winds.

cobby
Rank: Gummy Shark
Rank: Gummy Shark
Posts: 1976
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:39 pm

Re: heading out the entrance

Postby cobby » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:17 pm

In your yank lake boat just make sure you have the bilge pumps running... Heading out stick to the starboard side of the actual shipping channel bouys, between them and the middle bank (those breaking waves) down to bouy 5 before cutting in towards Flinders, or drifting across the other way towards Seal Rock. Doing that means you avoid the absolute worst of it no matter the tide, but basically the ground goes all over the shop from 35m-12m continually and it's a similar result to what happens in the rip with regards to waves. But yes once around the back of Flinders or seal rock it does flatten out a bit.

For anyone with adequate boating experience with some offshore experience going down the western entrance is a piece of cake. I think I've turned around twice, both times bouys 12 and 8 were under white water and vision that wasn't walls of water was sweet fa

User avatar
Mattblack
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 954
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:08 pm
Location: South East Suburbs

Re: heading out the entrance

Postby Mattblack » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:18 pm

phil1818 wrote:Had a good chat with Gawaine Blake the other week and want to target offshore gummies but slipped my mind to discuss with him going out and coming back in iv done it through the rip in PPB but bit unsure about the Western entrance

Think I'd rather tackle the Western Entrance over the rip....my only worry would be a wave coming into the front of the boat (always put me off bowriders).

User avatar
ducky
Rank: Premium Member
Rank: Premium Member
Posts: 3694
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:17 pm

Re: heading out the entrance

Postby ducky » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:29 pm

cobby wrote:In your yank lake boat just make sure you have the bilge pumps running... Heading out stick to the starboard side of the actual shipping channel bouys, between them and the middle bank (those breaking waves) down to bouy 5 before cutting in towards Flinders, or drifting across the other way towards Seal Rock. Doing that means you avoid the absolute worst of it no matter the tide, but basically the ground goes all over the shop from 35m-12m continually and it's a similar result to what happens in the rip with regards to waves. But yes once around the back of Flinders or seal rock it does flatten out a bit.

For anyone with adequate boating experience with some offshore experience going down the western entrance is a piece of cake. I think I've turned around twice, both times bouys 12 and 8 were under white water and vision that wasn't walls of water was sweet fa


Listen to this man. Avoid mchaffies and middle bank. The entrance itself is a non event. The dangerous ground is well before the entrance.



Remove these ads.


Return to “Flinders to Hastings”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests