Getting on with boat re-build

blacklab99

Re: Getting on with boat re-build

Postby blacklab99 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:23 pm

cobby wrote:The cutting and grinding out the old stuff, the layup of new glass is all fairly quick and easy (itchy though). It's the touch-ups, the rubbing back, the retouch-up, rub back, spray, touch up, rub back, final spray, rub back that's the worst

Cobby, the inside flow coat is a shocking yellowish colour, the shelves have flow coat chipping/peeling off and the edges are down to ply, there's no swelling or rotting, so I want to paint/ protect them. If I also decide to paint out the complete sides, am I better to re do with flow coat, or can I get away with something else ?
I've sanded down the shelves already, so all the loose stuff is off, but have a fair bit of exposed marine ply now.

Col

Remove these ads.

blacklab99

Postby blacklab99 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:28 pm

IMG_0944.JPG

You can see the yellow colour I want to swap out on the sides. I will be carpeting the shelf bottoms, so that's just for protection, but would now prefer to paint out the sides in a grey as well. ???

Col

cobby

Postby cobby » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:33 am

Flowcoat for sure, bit of adding things and you also have gelcoat for any repairs or touchups if needed down the track. Using something like 2 pack poly might be a bit less technical, spray a little easier and initially look better it's not as hard wearing. Bits like the shelf ends or other out of the way things just sand back with 80 or something else coarse to save prep time, the bleeding obvious in your face areas you'll want to get as smooth as possible whilst removing as much of the crappy colour you hate. Old school Haines boats group on sookbook is an absolute mecca of information for this kind of stuff, I'm pretty much at the end of useful information I can give

blacklab99

Postby blacklab99 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:19 am

Thanks Cobby,
That's helped heaps.
Was googling flow coat up and most of what I was reading sais that applying with a roller or brush actually comes good.
The shelf's them selves have the fronts, which I'm re making new ones, they will be carpet covered, as well as the shelf bottoms, so not exposed, but I have to change out that yellow colour. I'll check out the Haines page for ideas.
Thanks mate, appreciated.

Col

smile0784

Postby smile0784 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:43 am

Can you line it with alloy sheet to keep water off it and ad you rebuild it

blacklab99

Postby blacklab99 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:49 pm

smile0784 wrote:Can you line it with alloy sheet to keep water off it and ad you rebuild it

Smile, its a fibre glass boat !
covering up marine ply wont stop it from eventually rotting, the ply must be treated and sealed.
lining with alloy sheet ? = weight.
Flowcoat has lasted 30 years, would make sense to me to do the same again, it protects and doesn't corrode.

Col

Remove these ads.

Return to “Boating”