Under Powered Or Not?

Turtle

Under Powered Or Not?

Post by Turtle » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:03 pm

I'm looking at buying a new boat. Upgrading from my tinny to something bigger. At the moment I'm looking at a 6m Glass half cab boat with a 140hp 4stroke outboard on it. Its a mid 80s savage surveyor hull so a bit heavier than todays boats. The motor is a 2007 model with low hours. Plan to do bay work and offshore. Just wondering what people opinions are on this and maybe if there are any ways of making this setup work.

Cheers
Last edited by Turtle on Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: Under Powered Or Not?

Post by Nude up » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:10 pm

What hull is it, there are lots of 6mt boats with 140 to 150 if you are only going in the bay I am sure it will be ok but I would like to have more power if I was going to go off shore I have a 6.5mt with a 200 hp I wish it was a 225

scott__henning
Has liked: 1 time

Post by scott__henning » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:49 pm

Ive got a 175 on my 6m Seafarer and that seems to match pretty well, I would think 140 would be a fraction lower than what I would go for. (though ive got a 2 stroke, and as i understand you can't really compare 2 strokes and 4 strokes side by side like that)

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:53 pm

I probably no 4 or 5 guys with 6 metre boats all with 140 "s on the back of them and all go off shore at Portland or bermi,
I would not discount the boat because of this, remember, off shore is more about reliability, a lot of trolling, your not going to be wot that far out. one guy has the evolution, the widest allowable trailerable, cant remember the model, but they are heavy, it performs well.
you could probably easily go larger, but remember those older boats had ratings which are different, they were rated basically to 2 strokes, so if its rated to say a 150 hp work out the weight differential from the old 2 strokes to a newer 4 stroke.
still think you'de be fine with the 140

good luck

Return to “Boating”