Graphite Surf Rod for casting distance?

hangsta*

Re: Graphite Surf Rod for casting distance?

Post by hangsta* » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:22 pm

raco09 wrote:
Mick.S wrote:Comes down to what you want use the surf rod for, spinning, bait fishing (light) or bait fishing heavy (6-7oz) sinkers + big bait, what type of reel you want to use etc....

I have Nitro Messiah, Daiwa rods, other 12' spin stick, and if I'm doing spinning I would be taking one of these rods, but if I am bait fishing from rocks and surf and am targeting toothies, then I pull out one of few Century rods. Best thing I have ever bought. If you are interested, check out this:

http://www.centurysea.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Quality of these rods vs the rods we locally get here on Australian market is really something.
Tip tornado sport is definitely the next rod on my purchase list. Best rod I've used. (Thanks to Pete) :a_goodjob:
the century rods are something else

Alwaysloud

Post by Alwaysloud » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:52 pm

I'm thinking of going with a 15lb Brad PE line and also with a mono leader around 20-30lb. How long should the leader be ?. Is there any other Brad lines that are finer,slicker specifically surf casting ?.

Thanks guys

sal.fonzi

Post by sal.fonzi » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:43 pm

I love frog but it is very pricey.. sunline have another braid called castaway which I believe is available in 8lb,12lb, 16lb, and 20lb I think??? Maybe someone else would know more than me about it.. only down side is I have only seen it in 150m spools.. also good to look at is the daiwa sensor braid in 20lb and another jap brand I like is gosen.. too many posibilities and it comes down to budget.. if u look through the forum im sure there are threads dedicated to talking about braid

sal.fonzi

Post by sal.fonzi » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:47 pm

Leader length is also different from person to person.. generally I keep my leader knot out of my guides. So I personally go around 1m leader with easy rig down to a snap swivel.. then I just pre tie my trace with swivel 1 end. Hook to other and just clip it on

sal.fonzi

Post by sal.fonzi » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:48 pm

If that makes sense

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Alwaysloud

Post by Alwaysloud » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:52 pm

sal.fonzi wrote:I love frog but it is very pricey.. sunline have another braid called castaway which I believe is available in 8lb,12lb, 16lb, and 20lb I think??? Maybe someone else would know more than me about it.. only down side is I have only seen it in 150m spools.. also good to look at is the daiwa sensor braid in 20lb and another jap brand I like is gosen.. too many posibilities and it comes down to budget.. if u look through the forum im sure there are threads dedicated to talking about braid
Yeah Sunline Castaway comes in 16lb and 20lb, Its one im highly considering but doesnt come in more then 150m spool. Unless I spool something else underneath and fill the rest of the reel right to the top with castaway (is that silly do that) ?.

sal.fonzi

Post by sal.fonzi » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:29 pm

http://www.japantorg.com/catalogue/fish ... cation.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sunline catalogue.. says u can get castaway in 300m spool but may have to special order

sal.fonzi

Post by sal.fonzi » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:31 pm

Most people put a mono backing behind their braid..

Alwaysloud

Post by Alwaysloud » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:20 pm

sal.fonzi wrote:http://www.japantorg.com/catalogue/fish ... cation.pdf

Sunline catalogue.. says u can get castaway in 300m spool but may have to special order

Cool thanks.... might be pricey double the price ?.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:11 pm

I think your over thinking the whole thing mate. Get your self a decent quality rod. Then learn a good technique off someone who casts well. With out a good technique youll never cast well what ever rod you use.

My suggestion is one of the new Penn Prevail rods they come in a variety of line ratings and set you back around $190. They are graphite and also ranging in action and taper. I use the overhead version. All my baiting surf rods are overheads. I also prefer stiffer rods when throwing big distances.

Get a decent reel. Then decent line. Although I love Sunline PE I have big reservations suggesting braid in the surf for beginners. Especially if you fish at night.

For lures I use an 8'6" Graphite Egi rod with a 4000 Ballistic on it running 8lb sunline pe PE. I throw 15-25g lures with it only and can cast a country mile.

It all comes back to technique though.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”