Streams and creeks in the dandenongs

If it doesn't fit in a specific freshwater fishing section, post it here
Master-pro

Streams and creeks in the dandenongs

Post by Master-pro » Sat May 11, 2013 7:34 pm

There are plenty of small creeks and streams in the dandenong ranges along the road through belgrave to monbulk and olinda. I was wondering if anyone actually fishes these creeks? They are no more than 4 metres wide in most parts. In particular I was eyeing up the one behind "micawbers tavern" in belgrave. Are there any trout or reddies in these creeks?
PB- Snapper 55cm, Whiting 38cm, Flathead 55cm, Bream 38cm, Australian Salmon 55cm, Carp 80cm

rixter

Re: Streams and creeks in the dandenongs

Post by rixter » Sat May 11, 2013 8:25 pm

There is trout in the rivers around that area (Monbulk & Olinda) , usualy around the 500-750g mark, nothing huge , but pansize and great fishing.
Cheers , Rick.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

Master-pro

Post by Master-pro » Sat May 11, 2013 9:09 pm

rixter wrote:There is trout in the rivers around that area (Monbulk & Olinda) , usualy around the 500-750g mark, nothing huge , but pansize and great fishing.
Cheers , Rick.
Do you reckon you could wade these streams and fly fish for them? Do you fish there on occasion?
PB- Snapper 55cm, Whiting 38cm, Flathead 55cm, Bream 38cm, Australian Salmon 55cm, Carp 80cm

rixter

Post by rixter » Sun May 12, 2013 1:13 am

They are only shallow creeks , wadable imo, but maybe a bit branchy for fly fishing with all the trees around. I haven't fished around there since last season when visiting my sister, although i've allways caught a few fish in these creeks when i hit them. Usualy floating an unweighted worm about 1foot under a small float works well in these small creeks, cast upstream and wind in as it drifts towards you (keep up the slack) . Repeat the process , like flicking a lure about sorta.
Cheers , Rick
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

Master-pro

Post by Master-pro » Sun May 12, 2013 11:54 am

rixter wrote:They are only shallow creeks , wadable imo, but maybe a bit branchy for fly fishing with all the trees around. I haven't fished around there since last season when visiting my sister, although i've allways caught a few fish in these creeks when i hit them. Usualy floating an unweighted worm about 1foot under a small float works well in these small creeks, cast upstream and wind in as it drifts towards you (keep up the slack) . Repeat the process , like flicking a lure about sorta.
Cheers , Rick
cheers :thumbsup:

GregExplores
Has liked: 67 times

Post by GregExplores » Wed May 15, 2019 8:43 pm

rixter wrote:
Sun May 12, 2013 1:13 am
They are only shallow creeks , wadable imo, but maybe a bit branchy for fly fishing with all the trees around. I haven't fished around there since last season when visiting my sister, although i've allways caught a few fish in these creeks when i hit them. Usualy floating an unweighted worm about 1foot under a small float works well in these small creeks, cast upstream and wind in as it drifts towards you (keep up the slack) . Repeat the process , like flicking a lure about sorta.
Cheers , Rick
Hi, i was thinking of heading down there soon. Do you think the creek is clean enough to keep fish from? it is quite close to the city so I am not too sure if it is clean enough. Thanks!!! :a_goodjob:

deathray
Has liked: 8 times

Post by deathray » Wed May 15, 2019 9:25 pm

Bill Classon did an interesting little segment casting lures in those creeks that was on the ‘The Fishing Show’ only a couple of weeks ago.

GregExplores

Post by GregExplores » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:55 am

deathray wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:25 pm
Bill Classon did an interesting little segment casting lures in those creeks that was on the ‘The Fishing Show’ only a couple of weeks ago.
Sounds cool! Do you have a link for the video?

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:06 pm

GregExplores wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:55 am
deathray wrote:
Go to aftntv and sign up, its free. Should be there.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

GregExplores

Post by GregExplores » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:01 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:06 pm
GregExplores wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:55 am
deathray wrote:
Go to aftntv and sign up, its free. Should be there.
i have made an account now and can access them but there are so many videos :rofl:

Return to “General Fresh Water Fishing”