Fly fishing help

Master-pro

Fly fishing help

Post by Master-pro » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:56 pm

I really want to get back into to fly fishing but I have no clue on fly fishig in Australia. I live in the casey area and would like to fly fish for wild trout, a max of 1:15 hour travel time would be necessary and the only decent river I can think of withing range is the yarra in warburton. Has anyone fished in warburton? Even not fly fishing is the fishing here good?
PB- Snapper 55cm, Whiting 38cm, Flathead 55cm, Bream 38cm, Australian Salmon 55cm, Carp 80cm

mcbain

Re: Fly fishing help

Post by mcbain » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:54 am

gday MP

link for some river maps should give some good info on what you are after. just look out for snakes !

http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/fisheries/rec ... ling-guide" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:42 am

get back to fly fishing? you mean you've been there?
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:48 am

I havent fished the river , but i have been there "Warburton" & it looks very nice .

wading not drowning

Post by wading not drowning » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:38 am

Hi master pro,as you might of noticed your request for info has spurred me to offer a simple how to up on the Yarra next week.I am thinking of starting after lunch and then having a fish into the evening.Hope that suits you.Have you done any stream fishing?

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:39 am

there are other areas that you can have a look at ............. the tangil......... and icy creek theat run into bluerock dam are good little streams . The tarago is also worth looking at as are all the little creeeks in the area
they may be small streams but they are full of small fish and provide a fun day catching lots of little fish
The thing i like about the smaller streams is the numbers of fish you can get and they are more than willing to rise to a dry which makes things even better
with the smaller creeks the fish are not as fussy in what they eat where in the larger rivers they can become more keyed onto what is hatching on the water
if you have any questions buzz me a PM and i will tey and help out

cheers kiwi

MrI-fish

Post by MrI-fish » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:58 am

I was going to say the same thing, from the Casey area it is not far to Noojee or even Drouin where you can start to hunt a range of fish in the local creeks and rivers. Try the Latrobe and the the Tooronga. Lots of trout and blackfish in the evening.

Master-pro

Post by Master-pro » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:29 am

thanks for all the information, yes wading i have done stream fishing in scotland with my dad although not wading as most of the times we went it was 2 degrees lol, thanks for the offer wading but i probably won't be able to make it. kiwi, are these areas easilly accessible?
PB- Snapper 55cm, Whiting 38cm, Flathead 55cm, Bream 38cm, Australian Salmon 55cm, Carp 80cm

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:07 pm

they are accesable by two wheel drive ... get some maps and have a look ............ all the creeks in the area have fish in them
the creeks are small and the casting is tight ..... but that only adds to the fun of a days fishing

Master-pro

Post by Master-pro » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:09 pm

snake hazard?

Return to “Yarra Valley and surrounds”