I need a solution to a soft plastic fishing problem

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Re: I need a solution to a soft plastic fishing problem

Post by hornet » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:45 am

What if a ball sinker of sizable weight was tied on a metre above the jig to get it out ?
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

greggo
Has liked: 5 times

Post by greggo » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:02 pm

Another thing that will determine distance is how full your spool is. Anything over about 2 mil of lip will have a detrimental affect on you distance.

If you find you cant fill your spool with the length of braid, take the braid off and start filling the spool with mono to take up the space required. Then join the braid to the mono, wind it on, and you'll end up with a nicely filled spool.

saph
Has liked: 4 times

Post by saph » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:02 pm

get a rated soft plasitcs rod and not a squid one, using lures and braid you wont have as many tell tale signs of a bite and take off if you set the drag right.

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Post by eddyt » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:34 pm

If you are just after flatties, then simple solution is slide a ball sinker above the jig head or use a running sinker rig. I used to do this with mono and it works, I still do it in the boat to get the SP down faster, the only downside is you won't get many other species. Except maybe salmon if you just do a slow retrieve. The real lure fishos will think you're crazy but just ignore them and show them the fish you catch.

Hatetangles
Has liked: 83 times

Post by Hatetangles » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:51 pm

It seems all the soft plastic rods are just over 7ft. I have looked at the Zodias rods and my concern is they are not long enough which may not help with the cast distance. I have an 8ft bream 2-4kg rated rod so I might try that and see how that goes

Hatetangles
Has liked: 83 times

Post by Hatetangles » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:17 pm

So i just experimented by casting a jig head on my squid rod and I was able to gain about an extra 10m straight away which I put down mainly to the reel (vanquish) which has 15lb braid. The soft plastics set up I was using has an Okuma flame reel which isn't the greatest . I noticed the line peeled off a lot nicer and smoother on the vanquish,but I'm not buying another vanquish for SP. I then casted a jig head on my other squid rod(same length around 8'6) but has a nasci 2500 reel with 15lb braid and I was able to cast almost as far as the vanquish (about 25m)this is using a 1/8 jig head.. so next step is to spool my nasci reel with 8lb braid and hopefully,I can gain another 10m...I would be satisfied with that(about 30m),and then if I step up another jig head size even further....

Sebb
Has liked: 3019 times

Post by Sebb » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:26 pm

Nice experiments. :tu: whichever that works for you.
I personally like 7ft2 up to 7ft10 for flicking plastic.
Squid rod is a bit more parabolic and regular taper, which I don't really like for plastic. Fast taper rod for plastic is the best (at least for me anyway).
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 798 times

Post by Seniorfisho » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:47 pm

Hatetangles wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:17 pm
So i just experimented by casting a jig head on my squid rod and I was able to gain about an extra 10m straight away which I put down mainly to the reel (vanquish) which has 15lb braid. The soft plastics set up I was using has an Okuma flame reel which isn't the greatest . I noticed the line peeled off a lot nicer and smoother on the vanquish,but I'm not buying another vanquish for SP. I then casted a jig head on my other squid rod(same length around 8'6) but has a nasci 2500 reel with 15lb braid and I was able to cast almost as far as the vanquish (about 25m)this is using a 1/8 jig head.. so next step is to spool my nasci reel with 8lb braid and hopefully,I can gain another 10m...I would be satisfied with that(about 30m),and then if I step up another jig head size even further....
The Nasci are a great reel, I have the 1000 size and it casts a mile, Go down to 6lb braid and leader and your casting and fishing will improve out of sight

Return to “General”