Mobile reception offshore?

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Re: Mobile reception offshore?

Post by ducky » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:51 pm

dmck wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:46 am
A bit late from me but back on topic....
I have worked on the technical side of all 3 mobile networks and I have never yet seen a site design where the antennas are specifically pointed to give ocean coverage. There is very little money to be made from boats! Any mobile coverage at sea is a bonus.

Re '000' calls. Emergency calls ARE ONLY POSSIBLE IF YOU HAVE NETWORK COVERAGE. If you havent got coverage from any of the providers you CANNOT call '000'
Does the same apply to 112? I was always told something magic happens to boost the signal. But always had my doubts.

dmck
Has liked: 36 times

Post by dmck » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:20 pm

Yes. Magic only happens if there is a network to connect to.

I should add, you may not know if there is a network to connect to.

Older phones used to display "emergency calls only" if the correct network wasnt available but an alternate was. I dont know what the modern "smart phones" do.

re-tyred
Has liked: 376 times

Post by re-tyred » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:28 am

Emergency alert devices. Epirb, PLB, VHF radio, phone. In that order. Phone is a very unreliable way of getting attention at sea. I carry all of them plus additional Hand held VHF.
If you have a modern VHF with the emergency button AND you connect it to a GPS AND you apply for an MMSI to enter into it. When you push the emergency button it will put up an alert on all modern VHFs in range including your position. Kayakers could purchase a HH icom with inbuilt GPS and digital emergency button.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:17 pm

I really should get a VHF marine radio licence you can’t get an MMSI number unless you have one. My VHF is connected to my GPS And my radio has the emergency button. I have a aeronautical radio licence but the marine people do not recognise it. Hopefully I will get made redundant then I will get my marine radio licence when not working shift work.

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:21 pm

Nude up wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:17 pm
I really should get a VHF marine radio licence you can’t get an MMSI number unless you have one. My VHF is connected to my GPS And my radio has the emergency button. I have a aeronautical radio licence but the marine people do not recognise it. Hopefully I will get made redundant then I will get my marine radio licence when not working shift work.
You can do it online. Just need to sit the test afterwards
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:34 pm

They won't recognise other operating certificates.
I used to hold a GMDSS certificate. That is one that allowed me to operate all communication equipment on any ship worldwide. I also held a surveyors ticket for the system. Part of my job was to fly around Australia and go onboard commercial ships of all types and size, test their comms and sign it off for another year. GMDSS certificates need to be renewed every five years at a cost of $2000. I dropped it when I stopped doing surveys. When I asked about the VHF licence they made me do the whole thing from scratch

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:15 pm

re-tyred wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:34 pm
They won't recognise other operating certificates.
I used to hold a GMDSS certificate. That is one that allowed me to operate all communication equipment on any ship worldwide. I also held a surveyors ticket for the system. Part of my job was to fly around Australia and go onboard commercial ships of all types and size, test their comms and sign it off for another year. GMDSS certificates need to be renewed every five years at a cost of $2000. I dropped it when I stopped doing surveys. When I asked about the VHF licence they made me do the whole thing from scratch
It’s a bit ridiculous I can operate aircraft VHF,HF satcom test EPIRBS fixed and mobile but I can’t operate the radio in my boat. Makes me think of money generating government departments.

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:42 pm

I've operated 2 way radio's, at work, for over 40 years & I never had a license
The company would have had one.
The S.E.C. was the most regulated (VL3HP)
With their radio system, if telecom was down, you could still ring anywhere
C.F.A. not as strict
& M.C.C. amateurish
If I put a CB in the car, I don't need a license (?)
Over & out (I still hate that)
Gra
Last edited by Texas on Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:47 pm

re-tyred wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:21 pm
Nude up wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:17 pm
You can do it online. Just need to sit the test afterwards
Is there any recommended places for this? Might as well spend time this weekend doing it. My final resin delivery doesn’t appear to have come in before the weekend. Means it’ll be a quiet weekend in terms of boat work.

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:59 pm

https://www.whitworths.com.au/online-vhf-radio-course i think there are others around as well. The exam is not online.

Return to “Boating”