Covied safe app

Fishing charters and hire boats around Melbourne and Victoria
Troy McLure
Has liked: 140 times

Re: Covied safe app

Post by Troy McLure » Sat May 02, 2020 6:39 pm

Over analysing? Some of my mates are full on paranoid about this app. This whole thing is getting ridiculous, download it and see if the information gained can help the government get on top and hopefully get us back to normal even quicker.
Then delete it and get back to our normal paranoia.

😀

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sat May 02, 2020 8:30 pm

Andrews wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 3:06 pm
I feel that concerns and hesitation towards the COVID-19 app is a genuine response and there should always be questions asked and hesitation regarding any app that can access your location.

I previously worked as a Health Protection & Emergency Management Officer in Barwon South West, Victoria and phone location data can be requested by VicPol or FedPol to the service provider helping aid in a case of emergency or missing persons. Re-tyred has given a great example of when police would request this information.

I believe there are advantages to having a federally maintained pandemic app which provides you information and alerts to an anonymous individual’s infection status and interaction. I think there should be more questions targeted towards the future of the app post-pandemic. The Government’s current statement is that users will be prompted to delete the app and all stored data will be deleted. This to me suggests that the app will remain, unless manually deleted as opposed to the Government withdrawing/removing the app once the pandemic is over. This leaves me with concern about future location access of the app without public awareness. Either way, we should all continue practicing good hygiene and physical distancing app or not.
I starting to think years of security theatre by the current government by passing new laws each year that give them greater and greater powers to collect information on people might be backfiring.

Remember when they said that a judge would need to authorise access to your metadata, then the AFP went in anyway and got into some journalists data to try and track down someone in the public service who leaked something embarrassing about the government?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Sat May 02, 2020 8:31 pm

Nude up wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 10:54 pm
Gee here’s a thing I don’t do Facebook don’t allow any app to know my location unless I say yes then turn it off. Paranoid maybe but why when talking to my wife does adverts suddenly appear on the subject we have just discussed. And amazing that the government could come up with a killer app so secure in just a short space of time probably made in India like the 737 max flight control fly by wire program gone to the lowest bidder.
How do you think you get those "special" ads solely for you when you visit this site. They know what you do, when you do it and where you do it.

I installed the app as soon as it was released. Registration had issues but was sorted in a few hours.

My phone location service is always on. If I dont go home from a fishing trip, i want them to know where I went....or where I am (or at least where my phone is)
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Stumpjumper
Has liked: 19 times

Post by Stumpjumper » Sat May 02, 2020 8:56 pm

4liters wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 8:30 pm
I starting to think years of security theatre by the current government by passing new laws each year that give them greater and greater powers to collect information on people might be backfiring.

Remember when they said that a judge would need to authorise access to your metadata, then the AFP went in anyway and got into some journalists data to try and track down someone in the public service who leaked something embarrassing about the government?
There was a recent high court ruling on that raid on Anika Smethurst by the AFP and it was ruled to have been an illegal raid. The 'leak' was about Australian Signals Directorate spying domestically on Aus citizens. The authorities did not want the peasantry to know this.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Sat May 02, 2020 8:56 pm

I don't like that they are pretty much saying, get the app to get your freedom back.. This doesn't sit well with me.

and i can't see the app working that well. If the virus is as contagious as they say it is, Why is it only logging people you're with for more than 15mins? Someone could get on the train and get off after a stop or two which isn't 15mins and give you the virus..

What if someone runs into the shops to grab something and forgets their phone in the car? What if you leave your bluetooth turned off?

I know people that don't have smart phones so they wouldn't be able to get the app..

There are too many variables for this app to work efficiently.

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Post by Andrews » Sat May 02, 2020 9:41 pm

I think the idea of a digitally accessible map targeting disease spread and prevention is a futuristic, but highly effective tool for future disease modelling and real time development. Current disease prediction modelling is limited by the amount of data accessible and this is an opportunity for us to better understand, predict and prevent future cluster and pandemic outbreaks. We use similar techniques to predict and model real-time maps for emergency events such as bushfires which are highly effective.

It sounds sci-fi, but this is the future for better understanding and preventing pandemic status events.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sat May 02, 2020 9:46 pm

Stumpjumper wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 8:56 pm
4liters wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 8:30 pm

There was a recent high court ruling on that raid on Anika Smethurst by the AFP and it was ruled to have been an illegal raid. The 'leak' was about Australian Signals Directorate spying domestically on Aus citizens. The authorities did not want the peasantry to know this.
It was an illegal raid but somehow the popo where allowed to keep all the stuff they took. More concerning is that it was illegal on a technicality and if they’d dotted their i’s and crossed their t’s better they’d have gotten away with it.

Regardless of the outcome of that case, the message was very clear to all journalists that the government is prepared to come after them if they publish stuff the government doesn’t want made public knowledge.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Sun May 03, 2020 12:25 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:
I don't like that they are pretty much saying, get the app to get your freedom back.. This doesn't sit well with me.

and i can't see the app working that well. If the virus is as contagious as they say it is, Why is it only logging people you're with for more than 15mins? Someone could get on the train and get off after a stop or two which isn't 15mins and give you the virus..

What if someone runs into the shops to grab something and forgets their phone in the car? What if you leave your bluetooth turned off?

I know people that don't have smart phones so they wouldn't be able to get the app..

Dont think its meant to be bullet proof, just simply a huge help towards tracking any outbreaks. Its all about reducing the risk, to make it all more manageable

Appreciate the reasoning for it, but once the technology is out of the bag, would be hard to put it back in.

It could however give people a false sense of security..

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Sun May 03, 2020 12:32 pm

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/202 ... s/12202876

The app has been having issues. It has many bugs such as not working efficiently on iphones unless it's constantly open on your screen and doesn't work properly in rural parts of the country where reception is limited.

I wonder if they'll change the privacy policy of the app as they update it and what that means for the people who have already downloaded it.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Sun May 03, 2020 12:40 pm

laneends wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 12:25 pm
Sinsemilla wrote:

Dont think its meant to be bullet proof, just simply a huge help towards tracking any outbreaks. Its all about reducing the risk, to make it all more manageable

Appreciate the reasoning for it, but once the technology is out of the bag, would be hard to put it back in.

It could however give people a false sense of security..
I get it as well but also, like you said, Once the tech is out of the bag..

I think the false sense of security could be damaging. People might think this app is going to save them, when in reality, you'll still get the virus. I think social distancing is the best tool we have. What i think is more important is that we keep being careful while we try to get our economy back up and running and save all the job loses that are happening and going to happen over the next 6 months.

Return to “Fishing Charters and Boat Hire”