Corona virus part 2

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Corona virus part 2

Post by purple5ive » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:43 pm

and then you have idiots like this in our own backyard!!

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/healt ... 3f2f995ac7

Not to mention supposedly caravan parks in the gippsland regions are filling up with people even though a non essential travel ban has been in place..

one of the major reasons we may fail is because of behaviour like this!

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:45 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:31 pm
purple5ive wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:48 pm
well, more stuff being shipped overseas that could have been used here, all legally done though, still a bit disappointing for the locals here

https://www.news.com.au/finance/busines ... 25c56e7cec
This stuff makes my blood boil. These overseas companies come here and take advantage of Australia in every way possible and aren't patriotic at all. This is where the Australian gov have failed.
Welcome to capitalism, enjoy your stay
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Post by croe04 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:03 pm

Gonna quickly stress two things:
Wash your hands. With soap. Lots of people seem to be under the impression it doesn't do anything, but a key structure of SARS-CoV-2 is a thing called the lipid envelope. Its essentially a casing of fats that surrounds the virus along with its other membranes. Soaps break down lipids, so by washing your hands you effectively destroy the viruses lipid envelope and break the virus apart.
Also be very mindful of misinformation. At this stage anything that isn't from a government or authoritative body should be subject to the utmost scrutiny and taken with the smallest grain of salt until you can check its legitimacy.
I really hope no one actually gargled bloody hydrogen peroxide because of that facebook post from another thread.

4liters

Post by 4liters » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:23 pm

croe04 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:03 pm
I really hope no one actually gargled bloody hydrogen peroxide because of that facebook post from another thread.
Social media quackery is going to kill so many people. It's like watching Darwin's theory at work in real time.

Someone else was saying kale or something had a pH of 22 and if you ate lots of it the alkalinity would kill the virus. Even if a substance was that alkaline, eating it would turn you into a puddle of soap. (maybe they're onto something given soap kills the virus lol)

Then there's the people chugging fish tank cleaner because Trump said something, and people in the US needing to be intubated after drinking bleach - which I assume is using up equipment that probably could be used to treat people who've been corona-ed.
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm

croe04

Post by croe04 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:04 pm

4liters wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:23 pm
croe04 wrote:
Social media quackery is going to kill so many people. It's like watching Darwin's theory at work in real time.

Someone else was saying kale or something had a pH of 22 and if you ate lots of it the alkalinity would kill the virus. Even if a substance was that alkaline, eating it would turn you into a puddle of soap. (maybe they're onto something given soap kills the virus lol)

Then there's the people chugging fish tank cleaner because Trump said something, and people in the US needing to be intubated after drinking bleach - which I assume is using up equipment that probably could be used to treat people who've been corona-ed.
A lot of these big name TV pastors in america have started spreading crap about using 'holy healing' to cure people of coronavirus. I saw a video of this wackjob using holy water to cure and bless people through a TV screen, and people actually believe it. Also no shortage of nuts on facebook spreading their own nonsense. I guess ultra-alkaline kale and bleach therapy just show how stupidity has zero bounds these days.
I don't understand the personal benefit of spreading misinformation, like what are these people gaining from potentially hurting people? Then again, how are there people who believe it??

4liters

Post by 4liters » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:24 pm

croe04 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:04 pm
4liters wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:23 pm
croe04 wrote:

A lot of these big name TV pastors in america have started spreading crap about using 'holy healing' to cure people of coronavirus. I saw a video of this wackjob using holy water to cure and bless people through a TV screen, and people actually believe it. Also no shortage of nuts on facebook spreading their own nonsense. I guess ultra-alkaline kale and bleach therapy just show how stupidity has zero bounds these days.
I don't understand the personal benefit of spreading misinformation, like what are these people gaining from potentially hurting people? Then again, how are there people who believe it??
I think (some) people like the feeling of power over other people and having a bunch of followers slavishly swallowing your bull scratches that itch.

Why people believe it? Some people want facts to match their reality regardless of how distorted it is - if they don't like some of the things scientists say (about global warming for instance) then it creates distrust of all scientists without any regard to facts. For others maybe the idea that there's a cure and it's as simple as ingesting a common household chemical is cognitively much easier to process than the fact that a vaccine is years away.
It's only wikipedia but this page makes for interesting reading and some of the ideas described might go some way to explaining it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspirac ... pretations

croe04

Post by croe04 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:48 pm

4liters wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:24 pm
Why people believe it? Some people want facts to match their reality regardless of how distorted it is - if they don't like some of the things scientists say (about global warming for instance) then it creates distrust of all scientists without any regard to facts. For others maybe the idea that there's a cure and it's as simple as ingesting a common household chemical is cognitively much easier to process than the fact that a vaccine is years away.
It's only wikipedia but this page makes for interesting reading and some of the ideas described might go some way to explaining it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspirac ... pretations
That tends to ring true in a lot of these online groups and communities that spread misinformation, usually the sole evidence and argument they have boils down to healthy portions of confirmation bias and cherry picking evidence, if there is any evidence at all. Distrust of scientific authorities is also becoming pretty common place.
That being said, you'd still figure people are smart enough to maybe question drinking household chemicals.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:54 pm

VooDoo wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:06 pm
Kimtown wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:49 am
Amber alert to my good friend Jasonfish1234

Is my boy still alive?
JsonFish1234 came through my mind when reading about the real mental issues as the consequences of being isolated from society.

Hope he is going okay in dealing with the current situation.
Yup poor bugger should of be able to return...
Meet the guy,was a nice but different guy n clearly had a disability.

All about who you know on FV it seems...
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Post by VooDoo » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:57 pm

Heard that if you do the Macarina and drinking Corona at the same time then you will be immune but not sure if it's true or not - will try this method out when the virus gets to me but in isolation. Not sure if I am comfortable to be seen doing the macarina in public thought :)

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Post by VooDoo » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:02 pm

bowl wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:54 pm
VooDoo wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:06 pm
Kimtown wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:49 am
Amber alert to my good friend Jasonfish1234

Is my boy still alive?
JsonFish1234 came through my mind when reading about the real mental issues as the consequences of being isolated from society.

Hope he is going okay in dealing with the current situation.
Yup poor bugger should of be able to return...
Meet the guy,was a nice but different guy n clearly had a disability.

All about who you know on FV it seems...
Yep Bowl - felt guilty myself that i may have partly contributed to the whole ending - Jason needed to be pulled in but perhaps some of us were a tad hard on him (myself included).

Fingers crossed he is finding the right community/government agency to seek help in the meantime.

Jason - if you happen to read this - log in and say howdy to us all - i am sure this will bring a smile to a few fellow FV members :gj:

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

Return to “General”