Cornacarpio's Cumulative Carp Culling Caper

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
Cornacarpio
Has liked: 16 times

Re: Cornacarpio's Cumulative Carp Culling Caper

Post by Cornacarpio » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:26 pm

Headed down to the creek today in (relatively) frigid conditions to try and catch a carp. In fact, the only reason I even bothered was that I got snapped off by a big Bertha the day before yesterday (Thursday), so I had some unfinished business to take care of!

My trip today mirrored my unsuccessful trip on Thursday: headed down the creek, got bored, was about to go home, when bang! My rod tip moved and I was 'on'. Only this time, he was not getting away, despite his best efforts. Just like on Thursday, he tried to get me snagged on a tree that had fallen into the water but unlike last time, I successfully managed to maneuver the (small) tree out of the way without snapping my line. From there a tenacious fight ensued, with the carp swimming at a rate of knots up and down the 'pool' before eventually tiring. It gave such a similar to fight to the one lost the other day, that I expected it to have two hooks in its mouth, but it was obviously a different specimen.

My first Carp for Autumn! I have been going out a little bit recently, but haven't managed to snag one for a while. Forgetting the 'exotic' baits much as marshmallows and the like, this one fell for bread crust on a traditional running sinker rig and came in just on 70cm!

+1

2019/20: 34 (1745)

CC

Not done with yet!
Attachments
89714835_2325399274426672_7193080759119249408_n.jpg
89571021_673574040079002_6381418384982016000_n.jpg

GregExplores
Has liked: 67 times

Post by GregExplores » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:20 pm

Cornacarpio wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:22 pm
They're in there mate, but Carp are a very underrated sportfish. You have to put in the time to catch them. I've been to Coburg Lake/Merri Creek a couple of times this summer and have only caught one eel!
Awesome! I haven't even caught an eel yet, I don't think i even want to though because it would be a pain unhooking them :rf: What rig do you recommend using for carp? I was thinking about using a small float and a hook sitting just under it

GregExplores

Post by GregExplores » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:57 pm

Cornacarpio wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:26 pm
Headed down to the creek today in (relatively) frigid conditions to try and catch a carp. In fact, the only reason I even bothered was that I got snapped off by a big Bertha the day before yesterday (Thursday), so I had some unfinished business to take care of!

My trip today mirrored my unsuccessful trip on Thursday: headed down the creek, got bored, was about to go home, when bang! My rod tip moved and I was 'on'. Only this time, he was not getting away, despite his best efforts. Just like on Thursday, he tried to get me snagged on a tree that had fallen into the water but unlike last time, I successfully managed to maneuver the (small) tree out of the way without snapping my line. From there a tenacious fight ensued, with the carp swimming at a rate of knots up and down the 'pool' before eventually tiring. It gave such a similar to fight to the one lost the other day, that I expected it to have two hooks in its mouth, but it was obviously a different specimen.

My first Carp for Autumn! I have been going out a little bit recently, but haven't managed to snag one for a while. Forgetting the 'exotic' baits much as marshmallows and the like, this one fell for bread crust on a traditional running sinker rig and came in just on 70cm!

+1

2019/20: 34 (1745)

CC

Not done with yet!
Awesome Job mate :gj: !!!

Cornacarpio

Post by Cornacarpio » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:01 pm

Carp rigs are pretty basic - small float with a hook about 30cm under it works well, particularly in warm weather, running sinker is my 'go-to' rig and of course the paternoster rig.

GregExplores

Post by GregExplores » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:26 pm

Cornacarpio wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:01 pm
Carp rigs are pretty basic - small float with a hook about 30cm under it works well, particularly in warm weather, running sinker is my 'go-to' rig and of course the paternoster rig.
Thanks mate, ill try coburg lake and the merri creek surrounding it on Wednesday since it will be pretty warm. I might flick a lure for some reddies as well even thought there is probably none in that creek :( I'll let you know how I go

Cornacarpio

Post by Cornacarpio » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:24 pm

Had a mildly productive day down at creek on Monday. Got one fairly early on (within 10 minutes) and had to wait a bit longer for the second one. They both fought well above their weight sending the rod (almost) flying into the water and the reel absolutely 'zinging'. Both headed straight upstream at a great rate of knots and around a bend - in an attempt to get me snagged - but their desperation to get away was only matched by my desperation to catch them. Wading into the murky and putrid depths of the E. coli infested Gardiner's Creek? No problem, as I waded out to the middle of the creek to negate the angle of the bend and skillfully guide them into my woefully undersized butterfly net.

I love it when I go down the creek and the fishing is 'easy'. Just chuck a line in and wait for the bites to come. Why can't it be like this all the time? I've had a bit of success with bread-crust lately on a traditional running sinker rig. The crust actually floats up off the bottom and the carp seem to find it irresistible! Was also super stocked to get more than one carp - a rare feat for me down at the creek this season! I could have nearly had 3, but missed a bite, but I guess that's just fishing!

:wt:

+2

2019/20: 36 (1747)

CC
Attachments
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:26 am

Sounds like you were lucky to land those 2 mate.
A couple of beauties!
Cheers 👍🏻

Cornacarpio

Post by Cornacarpio » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:39 am

Just the one from the creek on Wednesday, probably only 30 or 40 cms. Had to try a few spots before I got him, and - as usual; just before dark. Only a small one - but he nearly pulled the rod into the water and put up a terrific fight. This one was caught on...bread-rolls (or part thereof), as the supermarkets have been completely stripped of loaves of bread due to the coronavirus pandemic.

+1

2019/20: 37 (1748)

CC
Attachments
91057985_505898636741761_5524389181830201344_n.jpg

Cornacarpio

Post by Cornacarpio » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:14 pm

Thursday, 19th March 2020

Sick of 'self-isolating' at home, so I'd thought I'd 'self-isolate' down at the creek, so no different to what I normally do really. 30 seconds in and bang! On straight away. That's the way (a-ha a-ha) I like it (a-ha a-ha). No joke, didn't even have time to throw my second line in.

The Mirror came in at about 60cm and put up a sub-standard fight as far as carp from the creek go. Nevertheless, I was extremely pleased to net her, especially as it was in such a short amount of time. When I unhooked the hook from her mouth, I noticed my line was a little bit frayed above the sinker in my 'running sinker' rig, most likely from rubbing against a stick or something while playing the fish. I probably don't have to tell you what happens next, but I will anyway. Rather than cut the frayed section off the line off, I decided to 'risk it' and recast my line. 20 or so minutes pass before the next inevitable bite. Fish on, played it for a second or two, before the line promptly 'snapped', not so much from the enormity of the fish, but from my reluctance to cut off the damaged section of line in the first place! Lesson learnt. I could have had another 'double-up', but it was not to be.

It's been a bit of a renaissance down at the creek for me lately, usually when I'm starting to wind down (fishing) proceedings for the year. Not sure if its because I've got a lot more time on my hands with this bloody COVID-19 stopping work proceedings or if they're more 'on the chew' than normal lately.

+1

2019/20: 38 (1749)

CC

Turned the footy on when I got home...well, that was weird.
Attachments
90160014_1139635743053023_2584863102877040640_n.jpg

Cornacarpio

Post by Cornacarpio » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:39 pm

Headed out today for my legally sanctioned 'exercise' on my bicycle, observing the principles of 'social distancing' at all times. I also just happened to be pack a couple of rods as I was riding along the creek....fishing is a sport after all, and a perfectly legitimate form of exercise IMO.

It was tough going at first, with not so much as a nibble in the first spot I tried. The second spot I tried wasn't much better, although the fish were there, just not biting. I had to move around a bit, until I found a school of small Carp (around 30-40cm). This was a bit disconcerting in itself, because I have never caught a 'small' Carp from this particular spot. Of course, just because I haven't caught a small Carp before, doesn't mean they're not in there - they clearly are. This may be the result of some recent migration and/or a breeding event.

The super clear water is a bit of a double-edged sword - good because the Carp can clearly see my bait, but bad because it makes them super weary and I had to keep my movements to an absolute minimum. Eventually, when I went full on 'camo', by hiding in a dip in the bank, one took my bait. One of the many I saw...

+1

2019/20: 39 (1750)

CC

Trying to get my Carp count up!
Attachments
91093909_256466715387753_6520259464887533568_n.jpg

Return to “Other Species”