LBG live bait rig

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

LBG live bait rig

Post by DougieK » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:27 pm

Hi all,

I received a message on reddit of all places from someone who recognised me from here asking about LBG live baiting rigs. Instead of trying to describe it I had Cam helping me with some things so thought I'd just make a quick video.

Enjoy.

As always i'm happy to discuss any tactic other than exact location below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBtB36DTRH8
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Pedro

Re: LBG live bait rig

Post by Pedro » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:56 am

Thanks for this informative vid.
Regards, pedro

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:43 pm

Nice Video Doug and Cam. Thanks :tu:
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

MasterBaiter24
Has liked: 36 times

Post by MasterBaiter24 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:38 pm

How do you release undersize fish when fishing from a rock ledge?

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:39 pm

Great video thank,s for putting it up .I have a few question,s i will try to make sense of what i asking i like the idea of the rubber band for the balloon watching a winga video the other day he was ballooning of the pier using cotton to hold the balloon and said once you get the distance from the pier just reef up on the rod and the balloon will release how ?can i use rubber band,s the same way.So basically what i wanted to do was use some ducks nuts slider,s attach a balloon and at pier balloon out a baited rig a fair way out and then for the balloon release

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:49 am

dazz999 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:39 pm
Great video thank,s for putting it up .I have a few question,s i will try to make sense of what i asking i like the idea of the rubber band for the balloon watching a winga video the other day he was ballooning of the pier using cotton to hold the balloon and said once you get the distance from the pier just reef up on the rod and the balloon will release how ?can i use rubber band,s the same way.So basically what i wanted to do was use some ducks nuts slider,s attach a balloon and at pier balloon out a baited rig a fair way out and then for the balloon release

The vid from mornington jetty is different. That one is a release rig to get a bait a long way out then on the bottom. This is a live bait rig. You can absolutely use cotton for the same purpose. I tie a granny knot in the balloon around the rubber band, so when you pull, the water resistant stops the balloon from moving very fast, so you need to reel it in slowly. If you pull sharply, or a king smashed your livey, the rubber band sill just slide out. I find rubber bands easier to work with and less fickle than cotton, but you can make a choice about this for yourself.

MasterBaiter24 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:38 pm
I'm assuming this is a poor attempt at trolling, but just in case it isn't, I release almost all fish I catch, undersize or otherwise. What you do is unhook them, then put them back in the water. That is, the water in the ocean, not the water in your white bucket.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:59 pm

DougieK wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:49 am

MasterBaiter24 wrote:
I'm assuming this is a poor attempt at trolling, but just in case it isn't, I release almost all fish I catch, undersize or otherwise. What you do is unhook them, then put them back in the water. That is, the water in the ocean, not the water in your white bucket.
I was thinking he may be talking about high ledges where you are 20 to 50 feet above the water surface. Could be wrong though. Pretty strange question with no reference to what sort of ledge is being talked about.

MasterBaiter24
Has liked: 36 times

Post by MasterBaiter24 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:41 pm

DougieK wrote:
dazz999 wrote:

The vid from mornington jetty is different. That one is a release rig to get a bait a long way out then on the bottom. This is a live bait rig. You can absolutely use cotton for the same purpose. I tie a granny knot in the balloon around the rubber band, so when you pull, the water resistant stops the balloon from moving very fast, so you need to reel it in slowly. If you pull sharply, or a king smashed your livey, the rubber band sill just slide out. I find rubber bands easier to work with and less fickle than cotton, but you can make a choice about this for yourself.

MasterBaiter24 wrote:
No, you misunderstood my question lol

What I mean is if you're like 3-4m above the water on a ledge, how do you get the fish up and unhooked without gaffing (presumably killing ) the fish?

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:49 pm

MasterBaiter24 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:41 pm
DougieK wrote:
dazz999 wrote:

MasterBaiter24 wrote:
No, you misunderstood my question lol

What I mean is if you're like 3-4m above the water on a ledge, how do you get the fish up and unhooked without gaffing (presumably killing ) the fish?
If a fish is big enough to not be able to lift it onto the the ledge it's probably big enough to just cut the leader and it'll be fine. High carbon hooks rust out faster.

The legal size for kingfish in VIC is 60cm and in NSW is 65cm. Almost any fish under about 85-90 can be lifted onto the ledge if you're using quality gear, and any fish undersized is definitely liftable. I don't think there's anywhere I fish that's too high to land a fish, I don't use cliff gaffs and anything that needs to be leader / tailed is probably also big enough to be speared back into the water without killing it.

It's a valid question, but on a practical level there is almost never a way to not safely release an undersized or over sized fish.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:12 pm

MasterBaiter24 wrote:
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “General”