Gippy

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Gippy

Post by bowl » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:18 pm

I'll be heading down following weekend...
Screenshot_20200115-201504.png
Screenshot_20200115-201514.png
Screenshot_20200115-201523.png
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

CannonsJS
Has liked: 70 times

Re: Gippy

Post by CannonsJS » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:08 am

That's great to see. It's been a financial disaster for any business associated with tourism in the town.

bowl

Post by bowl » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:14 am

CannonsJS wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:08 am
That's great to see. It's been a financial disaster for any business associated with tourism in the town.
X2
I've never been to Mallacoota, plan going there once everything is sorted out.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:35 am

bowl wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:14 am
CannonsJS wrote:
X2
Be carefull, you might not want to come back after going there. It's very addictive that place.

Also yes. Def need to do our part but I'd rather attempt to spend money at the smaller towns that everyone forgets like bruthen, and the likes
The roads are still not open further east I think. Otherwise I'd be heading up bemm or cann river as they have been smashed pretty hard

bowl

Post by bowl » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:02 am

purple5ive wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:35 am
bowl wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:14 am
CannonsJS wrote:
X2
Be carefull, you might not want to come back after going there. It's very addictive that place.

Also yes. Def need to do our part but I'd rather attempt to spend money at the smaller towns that everyone forgets like bruthen, and the likes
The roads are still not open further east I think. Otherwise I'd be heading up bemm or cann river as they have been smashed pretty hard
We use to go up to bemm river when we were back in Westernport angling back in 80s/90s.
I'll prob do a short list of places to visit.

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:18 am

Orbost Marlo is as far as you can go. Lakes has a few more people here this week. Fishing is pretty good offshore and in the lake.
Lakes is producing KGW salmon and Taylor. Offshore beach , gummies, flatties. The usual on the reefs. Not spectacular but snapper are there. And of cause Kingfish, in the lake and a few at the bluff.
Shops, and eating places are begging for customers.
Still a bit smoky some days, but no fires close.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:18 am

Go to lakes every year feb/march for a week hope to this year as well if my lower back injury is better

StarrangerAU
Has liked: 58 times

Post by StarrangerAU » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:52 pm

re-tyred wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:18 am
Lakes is producing KGW salmon and Taylor. Offshore beach , gummies, flatties. The usual on the reefs. Not spectacular but snapper are there. And of cause Kingfish, in the lake and a few at the bluff.

Have been giving some serious thought to heading to Lakes either this weekend or the next, weather permitting... My intent was to have a go at fishing at/next to/near to the Lakes Bar Crossing from the sea wall.

A question for anyone that knows whats what down that way.. can you comment on whether that spot is productive, or is it just plain un-fishable? I imagine at peak run of the tide it would be useless, but at the turn it may have some promise...
Attachments
Capture.JPG

CannonsJS
Has liked: 70 times

Post by CannonsJS » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:07 pm

StarrangerAU wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:52 pm
Have been giving some serious thought to heading to Lakes either this weekend or the next, weather permitting... My intent was to have a go at fishing at/next to/near to the Lakes Bar Crossing from the sea wall.

A question for anyone that knows whats what down that way.. can you comment on whether that spot is productive, or is it just plain un-fishable? I imagine at peak run of the tide it would be useless, but at the turn it may have some promise...
The sea wall is damaged currently so there is no access so it. The beach next to it in the photo is where re-tyred recommends fishing for Australian Salmon action. I went for a walk along there about a week ago chucking a lure into the surf and got a Taylor from that spot without even really trying.
Wait for re-tyred reply, I'm sure he'll have some good info to add.

There is currently a dead whale up on Eastern Beach so for anyone into shark fishing there are apparently more of them in the area atm.

If "Deckies R Us" is still in business I could be keen to take the boat out. ;-) Send me a PM if you decide to come down and you want to go for a ride.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:56 pm

Give it a few months to fully explore to lesser lights of the region. Bruthen is great, Buchan is beautiful (even when running from a full grown male deer down the main street at 11pm...), see the caves, do the Snowy river country trail that laps the national park from Orbost, through Buchan, up to Wulgulmerang, cuts deep into the national park, detour to check the deepest gorge in Victoria and possibly see one of the last remaining wild Tiger Quolls at Little River Gorge, back on the main track to Mackillops Bridge (that was wiped out by a flood event just prior to opening in the 30s), through the Deddick Valley, turn right onto Bonang Road that leads you back to Orbost via Goongerah or left onto Delegate just over the border. Those with serious 4wds can detour further down one of the many tracks on both sides of the Snowy River. Check out the Yeerung River east of Cape Conran that would have to be the most tannin stained water I've ever laid eyes on. Then the well known places further east like Bemm, Tamboon and Coota as well. If your compass points north you've got the Great Alpine Rd from Bruthen that'll lead you through places like Tambo Crossing, Ensay and Swifts Creek before hitting Omeo.

The Gippsland Lakes including Tyers and Nowa Nowa region is a long, but easy day trip or overnighter in the meantime and has a hell of a lot of things to do as well.

Excuse the pic spam
Attachments
FB_IMG_1579175523066.jpg
FB_IMG_1579175502407.jpg
FB_IMG_1579175445540.jpg
FB_IMG_1579175433732.jpg
FB_IMG_1579175406901.jpg
FB_IMG_1579173193539.jpg
FB_IMG_1579173176183.jpg

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”