Close To Melbourne

Charlie8003

Close To Melbourne

Post by Charlie8003 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:58 pm

Hi Guys

I'm new to Melbourne and even newer to fly fishing. Can anyone recommend worthwhile rivers and streams within an hour of Preston to try?

Got the casting under control, bought a rod and a selection of Nymphs now just need a stream to give it a hard crack

Any advise appreciated

Thanks

Charlie

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Re: Close To Melbourne

Post by Sebb » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:57 pm

Charlie8003 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:58 pm
Hi Guys

I'm new to Melbourne and even newer to fly fishing. Can anyone recommend worthwhile rivers and streams within an hour of Preston to try?

Got the casting under control, bought a rod and a selection of Nymphs now just need a stream to give it a hard crack

Any advise appreciated

Thanks

Charlie
Hi Charlie, welcome.

Stevenson river is about 1.5 hr drive, a classic stream for fly fishing. About 5-6 metre wide.
Yarra river from Woori yallock upstream is also good.
They're not exactly a secret spot, so they get a bit of fishing pressure and the fish can be hard to catch sometimes. I suggest catch and release too.
Good luck!
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:13 pm

Mate abit further but head Eildon way

Charlie8003

Post by Charlie8003 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:37 pm

Thanks Seb85

I read a little about the Stevenson and might give it a try on the weekend, is it easy to access?

I only have thigh hi waders should I be ok to get away with them or is it safer to invest in chest hi.

walk the streams

Post by walk the streams » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:11 pm

From Preston id head on up Plenty rd thru Whittlesea and on to the King parrot creek. You can park at the streamside reserve behind the Flowerdale pub (kennys road). Hey you said you have your casting under control, cause it can be a little tight in places, but its a fairly reliable stream. You can wade and cast your way upstream all the way back to the general store at Hazeldene. Then there is a walking track back along the river on the opposite (east) bank. Id avoid weekends thru the summer as plenty locals swimming and splashing around. And id get in before xmas as the stream does suffer once full summer hits

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:24 pm

walk the streams wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:11 pm
From Preston id head on up Plenty rd thru Whittlesea and on to the King parrot creek. You can park at the streamside reserve behind the Flowerdale pub (kennys road). Hey you said you have your casting under control, cause it can be a little tight in places, but its a fairly reliable stream. You can wade and cast your way upstream all the way back to the general store at Hazeldene. Then there is a walking track back along the river on the opposite (east) bank. Id avoid weekends thru the summer as plenty locals swimming and splashing around. And id get in before xmas as the stream does suffer once full summer hits
Just bear in mind to release any macquarie perch that you catch :)
Its one of the last pockets where they are sustaining in the wild
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:54 pm

Charlie8003 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:37 pm
Thanks Seb85

I read a little about the Stevenson and might give it a try on the weekend, is it easy to access?

I only have thigh hi waders should I be ok to get away with them or is it safer to invest in chest hi.
Yep, one of the easiest, hence it's popular and get high fishing pressure. Good access, good open areas to cast a fly line at most areas. Check on google map between Marysville and Buxton, even further down, almost all the bridges got access to the river.
King parrot creek is probably closer but tight, can be hard to cast a fly line.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Return to “Fly fishing in Victoria”