NBN plans...

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Re: NBN plans...

Post by cobby » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:06 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:25 pm
cobby wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:33 pm
purple5ive wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:59 pm
cobby wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:40 pm
purple5ive wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:01 pm

does fibre to the house have any added benefits as opposed to the copper from the kerb connection?

yeah as you i also got the fetch as part of the broadband deal, i didnt realise you can buy the box seperately.
and what is legacy cable?
i need to get up with the times :-D
Unless you're right into gaming, transfer large files over the net for work or have a serious need for speed 100mbps+ isn't really needed so the small run of copper won't affect much. And like all government run programs or agencies the costs are seriously inflated to do the fibre upgrades to the premises.

Legacy cable is just an old plan. The comparable current plan is $90p/m. Ditch the Foxtel, buy a fetch box outright from somewhere (jb, good guys, hardly normal), mini if you don't need 4k resolution or recording, mighty if you want them, subscribe to the ultimate channel package on the fetch as that has all of the kids channels foxtel has plus a decent selection of other foxtel channels except sports and HBO, just get dumb tv's as smart tv's arent updated as frequently as the fetch if at all, and get a basic unlimited 50/20 nbn plan from a decent well known provider (Optus, Aussie broadband, Telstra, TPG) that will cost $70-$90 depending on who you go with.

Thanks mr Cobb.

Not much data use from our household.
TV is not 4k or smart capable.
How.much is subscribing to this ultimate channel package cost.

Atm im paying 70 for the broadband including fetch. Plus another 30 or so for foxtel.
Trying to avoid paying for **** I dont need at this stage as been doing that for a good 10 years now and about time I picked what I just want and saved me some $$$
It's $20 a month for all channels from the Nickelodeons and disneys, cartoon network and boomerang, discovery, nat geo, ESPN and more. My bill is $84/month, same $70 internet, phone, fetch plus the $20 ultimate channel packages -$6 credit for the free channel package optus throw in.
They now want $104 a month for the NBN changeover, to only gain 19mbps in upload speed on a network that's prone to regular drop outs.
It'll cost me $90 a month ($70 optus, $20 fetch) plus the initial $169 for the fetch box from a retail outlet to drop the Optus fetch package and migrate to the cheapest 50/20 optus nbn+phone package
Yeah going towards nbn is definitely more expensive than the current plans most people are on. Fu king thieves.

Do you just ring up optus and take the subscription for the ultimate channel.package?
I dont need a phone on my nbn. Never had a landline and wont bother with one now.
Press the menu button, the head to subscriptions, tick the ultimate box and it'll show up on your next internet bill and will continue to until you cancel that subscription. Same thing if you "rent" a movie via the movie store on the box. You go through roughly 12gb of data an hour when watching one of the channels. Plus the bonus of having the fetch app to watch the same channels on your phone (i had espn on at work during superbowl). But once you decide to leave Optus they want the box back, and it's an unusable brick soon as your account is cancelled. No matter how long you've had it.

With a retail box, fetch charge a one off $1 activation charge to your credit card, which is then used for any movies you rent or buy and any channel packs you subscribe to. You wholly own that box and can be used with any internet provider you choose and keep as long as you want. Other than that, using your credit card for any charges, the initial cost of the box ($169 mini, $449 mighty) and the fetch branding on the box they're identical to the ones provided by optus, Aussie and other internet providers.

Dunno why your fetch box is slow, mines pretty quick to load everything other than once in a blue moon loading Netflix and it's almost 4 years old. Only thing I miss from Foxtel since ditching for fetch is footy. But I get every live game plus on demand replays from games dating back over 6 years for free via my phone plan with Telstra that makes up for that aspect

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:09 pm

I'm with Telstra & have unlimited usage, plus free phone calls which includes interstate & mobile as well as the home phone rental all for $99 which I'm happy with.Oh & Netflix is also included in the $99 plus they sent me two free Telstra TV boxes as well so Smart TV is needed..
Only problem here is that when the Turnbull Govt stopped the cable layout we have to rely on a receiver on the roof that picks up a signal from a tower some eight kilometres away. Often have problems in heavy overcast weather conditions, other than that it's fine..

cheers
Adrian
Last edited by meppstas on Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:16 am

purple5ive wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:01 pm
mingle wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:08 pm
Same boat here... My current Telstra Bigpond cable plan expires at the start of October...

It's a bit annoying to be honest, as my current plan has been great. I get 130Mbps all day and 200GB of data (never reached my limit), plus home phone, all for $79 (plus calls) per month.

With NBN I can't get anywhere near my current speed - 100Mbps is the max and Telstra want $99 per month, which sucks arse...

So I'm going to get slower speeds for 20 bucks per month more - so much for the huge improvement the NBN was supposed to be...

Mike.
I'm heading the same way. Cannot get unlimited data plus fetch for the same price I'm paying ($70)
The speeds are questionable already on the cable or perhaps it's the shitty router they supplied. Always dropped signals . Hopefully the nbn is a bit better.
Agree on shitty router dropping connection.
I used my old model netgear and the drops got fixed. I plan to use the supplied router as sinker this snapper season.

On the Chromecast, it works very well for me. No issues with casting to tv.

I tossed my karaoke unit now and just use youtube karaoke instead when i feel like disturbing the neighbors and the wildlife.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:40 am

Fish-cador wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:16 am
purple5ive wrote:
mingle wrote:
Same boat here... My current Telstra Bigpond cable plan expires at the start of October...

It's a bit annoying to be honest, as my current plan has been great. I get 130Mbps all day and 200GB of data (never reached my limit), plus home phone, all for $79 (plus calls) per month.

With NBN I can't get anywhere near my current speed - 100Mbps is the max and Telstra want $99 per month, which sucks arse...

So I'm going to get slower speeds for 20 bucks per month more - so much for the huge improvement the NBN was supposed to be...

Mike.
I'm heading the same way. Cannot get unlimited data plus fetch for the same price I'm paying ($70)
The speeds are questionable already on the cable or perhaps it's the shitty router they supplied. Always dropped signals . Hopefully the nbn is a bit better.
I used my old model netgear and the drops got fixed. I plan to use the supplied router as sinker this snapper season.

I tossed my karaoke unit now and just use youtube karaoke instead when i feel like disturbing the neighbors and the wildlife.
Pester them to send a sagemcomm 5366 instead of the standard they send. I've seen some people say they've done it for those that have complained repeatedly about drop outs

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:10 am

Fish-cador wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
mingle wrote:

Mike.

does the chromecast come with netflix and such apps?
i think my old router is long gone.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:11 am

cobby wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:40 am
Fish-cador wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
mingle wrote:

Mike.

Pester them to send a sagemcomm 5366 instead of the standard they send. I've seen some people say they've done it for those that have complained repeatedly about drop outs
will keep this in mind, thanks..

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:00 am

purple5ive wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:10 am
Fish-cador wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
mingle wrote:

Mike.

I bought my chrome cast awhile ago now Steve but paid separately for the chrome cast device and a monthly fee for Netflix.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:17 am

Lightningx wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:00 am
purple5ive wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:10 am
Fish-cador wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
mingle wrote:

Mike.

I bought my chrome cast awhile ago now Steve but paid separately for the chrome cast device and a monthly fee for Netflix.

yep was just asking if it has the netflix, stan and such apps.. as i dont have a smart tv yet.

ango

Post by ango » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:30 pm

Sound like some of you are getting good deals from Foxtel, we have the Platinum package but without the movie channels in HD for $83.50/month. Internet & phone we use Mates NBN 25 + $9.00 phone plan, all up costs $78.00/month, but 1300 calls are $0.50 each. We stream TV through the internet (Foxtel has a satellite dish but streams through NBN) and we have had no issues, NBN is FTTN, previously we had Telstra ADSL2+, the Mates NBN 25 is twice as fast as the old ADSL.
Cheers Ango.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:06 pm

seem like the providers i have seen so far.

Telstra, Optus, Mate, TPG, DoDo,

all have the 40mbps plan starting between $60-65 range, with telstra being the most expensive at $75 per month
that 40mbps type seems to be the go to for an average family.
some have unlimited downloads and some have capped (like 200gig or so)

add to this foxtel if needed plus subscriptions for netflix or stan and were getting somewhere.

ive done some research, and the kids are basically just using the stan part of the optus fetch, and we use the foxtel kids channels plus some documentaries and such.

so, im thinking maybe **** the fetch box off, stay with optus NBN and do a free upgrade as im an existing customer, then threaten to leave foxtel again and get a better price and then accidently damage current tv and blame the kids so i can buy a new smart tv or make current tv smart capable.
that way i can get stan/netflix on the smart tv, plus have foxtel and kids are happy..
well thats the plan anyway..
anyone have a better idea let me know..
cheers

Return to “Off Topic Forum”