NBN plans...

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: NBN plans...

Post by purple5ive » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:00 pm

4liters wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:41 pm
I'm with Belong, they've been relatively trouble free so far.
Will check them out, thanks.

mingle
Has liked: 1 time

Post by mingle » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:08 pm

Same boat here... My current Telstra Bigpond cable plan expires at the start of October...

It's a bit annoying to be honest, as my current plan has been great. I get 130Mbps all day and 200GB of data (never reached my limit), plus home phone, all for $79 (plus calls) per month.

With NBN I can't get anywhere near my current speed - 100Mbps is the max and Telstra want $99 per month, which sucks arse...

So I'm going to get slower speeds for 20 bucks per month more - so much for the huge improvement the NBN was supposed to be...

Mike.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:21 pm

mingle wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:08 pm
Same boat here... My current Telstra Bigpond cable plan expires at the start of October...

It's a bit annoying to be honest, as my current plan has been great. I get 130Mbps all day and 200GB of data (never reached my limit), plus home phone, all for $79 (plus calls) per month.

With NBN I can't get anywhere near my current speed - 100Mbps is the max and Telstra want $99 per month, which sucks arse...

So I'm going to get slower speeds for 20 bucks per month more - so much for the huge improvement the NBN was supposed to be...

Mike.
That's what happens when you have idiot governments monopolize infrastructure to keep their purse ticking over by forcing every single dwelling and business to use it, kicked out by even more idiots who completely change the makeup of the infrastructure. Who then force those that want or need definent faster speeds to spend thousands for sometimes only 5m of fibre cable to be laid, and charge that persons rsp stupid amounts to actually use that bandwidth. NBN was a **** up when Krudd announced it, and a bigger **** up by the time its kind of finished in the next year or so.

Meanwhile those of us on perfectly good HFC cable already with 100mbps+ connections are forced to pay more for less...

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:33 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:59 pm
cobby wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:40 pm
purple5ive wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:01 pm
cobby wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:10 pm
purple5ive wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:54 pm
Thanks guys appreciate the feedback.
Does anyone here have satellite TV like optus fetch or foxtel as part of the NBN deal.
Currently have both optus fetch and foxtel one of those I will cancel eventually.
Also the connection to your house. Can you choose what type or is that dictated by where the nodes are on the network?

Thanks once again..
You can pay more to get fibre to the premises otherwise you'll likely be fibre to the curb (the Telstra pits along the nature strips) with the copper phone wiring doing the rest.

Going through the same thing, currently on the exact same Optus cable deal. Likely going Optus 50/20 unlimited for $70 without the fetch, and purchasing 2 fetch minis outright from JB HiFi for $169 each as i barely use the mightys recording functions nor do I have a 4k capable tv and there's no phone going to be connected either. Current legacy cable costs is $20 less than the NBN plans on offer with exact channel packages on the fetch and all. All it means is should Optus nbn turn to ****, I can keep both fetch boxes without handing them back and move to any nbn provider.

does fibre to the house have any added benefits as opposed to the copper from the kerb connection?

yeah as you i also got the fetch as part of the broadband deal, i didnt realise you can buy the box seperately.
and what is legacy cable?
i need to get up with the times :-D
Unless you're right into gaming, transfer large files over the net for work or have a serious need for speed 100mbps+ isn't really needed so the small run of copper won't affect much. And like all government run programs or agencies the costs are seriously inflated to do the fibre upgrades to the premises.

Legacy cable is just an old plan. The comparable current plan is $90p/m. Ditch the Foxtel, buy a fetch box outright from somewhere (jb, good guys, hardly normal), mini if you don't need 4k resolution or recording, mighty if you want them, subscribe to the ultimate channel package on the fetch as that has all of the kids channels foxtel has plus a decent selection of other foxtel channels except sports and HBO, just get dumb tv's as smart tv's arent updated as frequently as the fetch if at all, and get a basic unlimited 50/20 nbn plan from a decent well known provider (Optus, Aussie broadband, Telstra, TPG) that will cost $70-$90 depending on who you go with.

Thanks mr Cobb.

Not much data use from our household.
TV is not 4k or smart capable.
How.much is subscribing to this ultimate channel package cost.

Atm im paying 70 for the broadband including fetch. Plus another 30 or so for foxtel.
Trying to avoid paying for **** I dont need at this stage as been doing that for a good 10 years now and about time I picked what I just want and saved me some $$$
It's $20 a month for all channels from the Nickelodeons and disneys, cartoon network and boomerang, discovery, nat geo, ESPN and more. My bill is $84/month, same $70 internet, phone, fetch plus the $20 ultimate channel packages -$6 credit for the free channel package optus throw in.
They now want $104 a month for the NBN changeover, to only gain 19mbps in upload speed on a network that's prone to regular drop outs.
It'll cost me $90 a month ($70 optus, $20 fetch) plus the initial $169 for the fetch box from a retail outlet to drop the Optus fetch package and migrate to the cheapest 50/20 optus nbn+phone package

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:15 pm

Try Stan or fetch instead of Foxtel??

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:25 pm

cobby wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:33 pm
purple5ive wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:59 pm
cobby wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:40 pm
purple5ive wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:01 pm
cobby wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:10 pm

You can pay more to get fibre to the premises otherwise you'll likely be fibre to the curb (the Telstra pits along the nature strips) with the copper phone wiring doing the rest.

Going through the same thing, currently on the exact same Optus cable deal. Likely going Optus 50/20 unlimited for $70 without the fetch, and purchasing 2 fetch minis outright from JB HiFi for $169 each as i barely use the mightys recording functions nor do I have a 4k capable tv and there's no phone going to be connected either. Current legacy cable costs is $20 less than the NBN plans on offer with exact channel packages on the fetch and all. All it means is should Optus nbn turn to ****, I can keep both fetch boxes without handing them back and move to any nbn provider.

does fibre to the house have any added benefits as opposed to the copper from the kerb connection?

yeah as you i also got the fetch as part of the broadband deal, i didnt realise you can buy the box seperately.
and what is legacy cable?
i need to get up with the times :-D
Unless you're right into gaming, transfer large files over the net for work or have a serious need for speed 100mbps+ isn't really needed so the small run of copper won't affect much. And like all government run programs or agencies the costs are seriously inflated to do the fibre upgrades to the premises.

Legacy cable is just an old plan. The comparable current plan is $90p/m. Ditch the Foxtel, buy a fetch box outright from somewhere (jb, good guys, hardly normal), mini if you don't need 4k resolution or recording, mighty if you want them, subscribe to the ultimate channel package on the fetch as that has all of the kids channels foxtel has plus a decent selection of other foxtel channels except sports and HBO, just get dumb tv's as smart tv's arent updated as frequently as the fetch if at all, and get a basic unlimited 50/20 nbn plan from a decent well known provider (Optus, Aussie broadband, Telstra, TPG) that will cost $70-$90 depending on who you go with.

Thanks mr Cobb.

Not much data use from our household.
TV is not 4k or smart capable.
How.much is subscribing to this ultimate channel package cost.

Atm im paying 70 for the broadband including fetch. Plus another 30 or so for foxtel.
Trying to avoid paying for **** I dont need at this stage as been doing that for a good 10 years now and about time I picked what I just want and saved me some $$$
It's $20 a month for all channels from the Nickelodeons and disneys, cartoon network and boomerang, discovery, nat geo, ESPN and more. My bill is $84/month, same $70 internet, phone, fetch plus the $20 ultimate channel packages -$6 credit for the free channel package optus throw in.
They now want $104 a month for the NBN changeover, to only gain 19mbps in upload speed on a network that's prone to regular drop outs.
It'll cost me $90 a month ($70 optus, $20 fetch) plus the initial $169 for the fetch box from a retail outlet to drop the Optus fetch package and migrate to the cheapest 50/20 optus nbn+phone package
Yeah going towards nbn is definitely more expensive than the current plans most people are on. Fu king thieves.

Do you just ring up optus and take the subscription for the ultimate channel.package?
I dont need a phone on my nbn. Never had a landline and wont bother with one now.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:28 pm

smile0784 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:15 pm
Try Stan or fetch instead of Foxtel??
I have stan. Fetch and foxtel mate.
Dont need all.of them at once so I'm.looking at downsizing a few packs

A smart TV will defenitely negate the optus fetch box since most of the stuff the kids watch on there is via stan

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:35 pm

Who needs smartTV? If your current TV has hdmi, buy Chromecast and cast your phone or tablet to your tv.

I am with optus nbn hfc with speed pack ($120/month) with unlimited data plus fetch ($15/month) with free channel inclusions as part of package (fetch box was free). I put my mobile too on package for $84/month with free samsumg note 9 and 200GB data.

When everyone's at home and the router is churning gigs ang gigs of data due to 2 gamers plus wife on netflix, i tether my work pc to my phone and cast big bang theory on netflix from phone to my not so smart tv using Chromecast.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:56 pm

Fish-cador wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:35 pm
Who needs smartTV? If your current TV has hdmi, buy Chromecast and cast your phone or tablet to your tv.

I am with optus nbn hfc with speed pack ($120/month) with unlimited data plus fetch ($15/month) with free channel inclusions as part of package (fetch box was free). I put my mobile too on package for $84/month with free samsumg note 9 and 200GB data.

When everyone's at home and the router is churning gigs ang gigs of data due to 2 gamers plus wife on netflix, i tether my work pc to my phone and cast big bang theory on netflix from phone to my not so smart tv using Chromecast.

I have my mobile and wife's on optus as well. That's the good thing about having an all in one. You can just get one bill and usually have some savings when you bundle
Will see what plans they have atm .

Have thought about the chrome cast which was what I was going to do a while ago. But just never got there.
How do you find it? Does it load the apps quick?
The fetch box is useless In that regard, takes ages to load. Whereas foxtel is instant.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:01 pm

mingle wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:08 pm

Mike.
I'm heading the same way. Cannot get unlimited data plus fetch for the same price I'm paying ($70)
The speeds are questionable already on the cable or perhaps it's the shitty router they supplied. Always dropped signals . Hopefully the nbn is a bit better.

Return to “Off Topic Forum”