Rock life

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Re: Rock life

Post by DougieK » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:57 am

I'll do a mix of responding and posting more photos and information.

I first saw this ledge as a very heavily photoshopped image on Facebook taken with a drone and disguised to make it difficult to find. After 'some time' of playing with google maps, I narrowed it's location (if it existed at all) down to a select few stretches of coast and after a week of walking along cliff tops in the middle of nowhere, i f---ing found it within 500m of a carpark which I had first overlooked.

The image was of a stairway cut into a cliff face with a small ledge and photoshopped beach underneath it. The beach didn't exist. The cut away was so narrow I had to go down sideways and there is literally nothing to grip onto. I was using my hands to wedge myself between the two walls as the 'stairs' have long since eroded away. The ledge itself protrudes only about 4 metres from the cliff face, and there is nowhere to climb back out if you get knocked in.

I caught nothing but reef species in close in nearly 40 hours of ledge time. About midday on my second day down there a massive dark torpedo shape swam past. I'm assuming it was a Great White approx 3.5m long.

This one is unbelievably dangerous to fish and should only even be approached in absolutely perfect conditions. For obvious reasons I will not discuss the exact location of this one.

https://youtu.be/Jes1aLOuAmo
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

greggo
Has liked: 5 times

Post by greggo » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:18 pm

DougieK wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:57 am

This one is unbelievably dangerous to fish and should only even be approached in absolutely perfect conditions. For obvious reasons I will not discuss the exact location of this one.
I was told about this spot many moons ago, I've been there for a look a couple of times but was never able to fish it.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:39 pm

Whoa!! thats a crazy ledge alright..
did the stairway get cut into the rock walls specifically for LBG purposes, or was there another reason for it to be there?

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:54 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:39 pm
Whoa!! thats a crazy ledge alright..
did the stairway get cut into the rock walls specifically for LBG purposes, or was there another reason for it to be there?
Specifically. There was another famous one that parks dynamited a few years back a couple of hundred km's away after two knobs got themselves in trouble out there.

I doubt i'll go back to this one, way way way to risky and the fishing was no better than off Cape Schanck. Cool place to go once though.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:56 pm

I’ve kayaked past that ledge, stunning spot from the water.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:56 pm

DougieK wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:21 pm
Hi All,

I had some pretty positive feedback and some pm's from a long post I made about rock fishing safety in another thread

( viewtopic.php?p=304136#p304136)

so I thought I'd try and share some pics of some of the rock adventures i've had over the past 4 years of LBG fishing.

In doing this I hope to generate some discussion about Victorian LBG, which is a relatively dead sport, some talk about safety, tactics, gear etc.

Every couple of days i'll post another image from my collection and hopefully inspire a few of you to get out for a Kingie / Shark bash this summer.
I'm going away for a couple of weeks so I hopefully can work imgur and the forum off my phone during that time.

I don't mind providing information for anything other than a select few locaitons, but that goes without saying. A few of these pics peeps will have seen before if you've been reading my reports for years, but hopefully the newer members can get some thing out of it for themselves.
Good luck mate
Hope you get a few
Stay safe mate

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:07 pm

smile0784 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:56 pm
DougieK wrote:
Hi All,

I had some pretty positive feedback and some pm's from a long post I made about rock fishing safety in another thread

so I thought I'd try and share some pics of some of the rock adventures i've had over the past 4 years of LBG fishing.

In doing this I hope to generate some discussion about Victorian LBG, which is a relatively dead sport, some talk about safety, tactics, gear etc.

Every couple of days i'll post another image from my collection and hopefully inspire a few of you to get out for a Kingie / Shark bash this summer.
I'm going away for a couple of weeks so I hopefully can work imgur and the forum off my phone during that time.

I don't mind providing information for anything other than a select few locaitons, but that goes without saying. A few of these pics peeps will have seen before if you've been reading my reports for years, but hopefully the newer members can get some thing out of it for themselves.
Good luck mate
Hope you get a few
Stay safe mate
Lol, did you even read or is this just your generic automated reply to each thread? :rofl:

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:13 pm

DougieK wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:57 am
I'll do a mix of responding and posting more photos and information.

I first saw this ledge as a very heavily photoshopped image on Facebook taken with a drone and disguised to make it difficult to find. After 'some time' of playing with google maps, I narrowed it's location (if it existed at all) down to a select few stretches of coast and after a week of walking along cliff tops in the middle of nowhere, i f---ing found it within 500m of a carpark which I had first overlooked.

The image was of a stairway cut into a cliff face with a small ledge and photoshopped beach underneath it. The beach didn't exist. The cut away was so narrow I had to go down sideways and there is literally nothing to grip onto. I was using my hands to wedge myself between the two walls as the 'stairs' have long since eroded away. The ledge itself protrudes only about 4 metres from the cliff face, and there is nowhere to climb back out if you get knocked in.

I caught nothing but reef species in close in nearly 40 hours of ledge time. About midday on my second day down there a massive dark torpedo shape swam past. I'm assuming it was a Great White approx 3.5m long.

https://youtu.be/Jes1aLOuAmo
What a spot.
Looks absolutely awesome

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:20 pm

smile0784 wrote:
DougieK wrote:
Hi All,

Good luck mate
Hope you get a few
Stay safe mate
Hmmmmm yea that really didn’t make too much sense...

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:30 pm

Lightningx wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:20 pm
smile0784 wrote:
DougieK wrote:
Hi All,

Good luck mate
Hope you get a few
Stay safe mate
Hmmmmm yea that really didn’t make too much sense...

Return to “General”