Strike Tiger sp problems

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Strike Tiger sp problems

Post by croe04 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:08 pm

Hi All

A while ago I picked up some strike tiger 4 inch curly tail grubs (pictured) from my local compleat angler, and like i normally do I got a couple from the packet and tossed them in my small lure tray with some other soft plastics for convenience. The strike tiger plastics already have a scent applied to them, which makes them obviously oily when you pick them up. I thought nothing of this, and forgot about them. A couple months later (summer) I looked in my tray and lots of my plastics seemed to have almost melted or fused together. I attributed this to the heatwave and that my lures had gotten too hot somehow and unfortunately melted. I cleaned my lure tray, a bit dissapointed a few of my sp's were wasted but again thought nothing of it. Fast foward to now, winter, I looked in my tray and again, a bunch of my lures had melted. On closer inspection, they were all covered in an oily substance and had imprints from the strike tiger sp's on them, and sure enough just about the only unscathed plastics were the strike tigers. Has anyone experienced this before? Whats in the scent of the plastics which is making the other ones melt? Am i doing something wrong? I'm gonna start storing them separately so this doesn't happen again but this is pretty annoying. I can upload pictures of the damage if anyone wants to see them.

cheers

croe
Attachments
Strike-Tiger-4-inch-curl-tail-grub-blue-steel_1080x.jpg

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Re: Strike Tiger sp problems

Post by April Fool » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:22 pm

I have used the Strike Tiger plastics with success but have always kept them separate. I like the tigers! Anyway, I can't offer much to your question except to ask what plastics did you mix them with? Several different types or just one other type? I know from reading comments on different forums that ZMan plastics can not be put with anything!
Cheers
Jim

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:37 pm

I don't use SP often but I have had the opposite happen to me.

I got, what was the craze at the time some Nuclear Chicken ones (Gulp brand from memory). When I have kept them in the zip seal package, with the liquid scent that they come with, they were fine. When I left then on the jighead on the rod. Next time I went to use them they were like beef jerky, leathery and stiff. Granted some time had passed but weeks not months.

So, sorry Croe, not what you are on about but SPs are a perplexing lot

Cheers, Bug

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:20 pm

Some plastics react with other plastics including the tackle trays and melt, zmans and the old snapbacks are especially good at it. Only way to stop it is store the strike tigers in their packaging

croe04

Post by croe04 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:22 pm

cobby wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:20 pm
Some plastics react with other plastics including the tackle trays and melt, zmans and the old snapbacks are especially good at it. Only way to stop it is store the strike tigers in their packaging
April Fool wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:22 pm
I have used the Strike Tiger plastics with success but have always kept them separate. I like the tigers! Anyway, I can't offer much to your question except to ask what plastics did you mix them with? Several different types or just one other type? I know from reading comments on different forums that ZMan plastics can not be put with anything!
Cheers
Jim
You guys are right, turns out my ZMan and other plastics with the ElazTech features seem to be the issue. The materials of other plastics reacts with it and causes it to melt. Thankfully though i've found the root of the problem with you guys's help, so thanks a bunch and hopefully no more of my plastics melt

cheers

croe

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Post by April Fool » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:50 pm

Croe...what fish do you chase with the tiger plastics?

Bug...alugs, sometimes I have trouble with Gulp in their own bags!!!! The older style packaging meant that some of the tails would kink and they would not straighten. Regardless of how sealed the bag is after opening, the fu**ers still leak. They will dry out as you have found if left outside of their bag. But they do catch fish!
Cheers
Team Bender
Took an extra minute to write this post cos hot detective chick from Budget Direct ad made an appearance!

croe04

Post by croe04 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:51 pm

April Fool wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:50 pm
Croe...what fish do you chase with the tiger plastics?

Bug...alugs, sometimes I have trouble with Gulp in their own bags!!!! The older style packaging meant that some of the tails would kink and they would not straighten. Regardless of how sealed the bag is after opening, the fu**ers still leak. They will dry out as you have found if left outside of their bag. But they do catch fish!
Cheers
Team Bender
Took an extra minute to write this post cos hot detective chick from Budget Direct ad made an appearance!
The only strike tigers i have are the 4 inch curly tails, and I usually chase flatties with them as they don't seem to have an issue with swallowing the entire length of the plastic unlike others that usually just peck at the tail.

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:11 pm

Is it just other soft plastics brands the zman plastics have issues with?

Are they good to be used as trailers on a spinnerbait or chatterbait, be stored for a few months and not melt the SP skirts?

croe04

Post by croe04 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:32 pm

happyfriggincamper wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:11 pm
Is it just other soft plastics brands the zman plastics have issues with?

Are they good to be used as trailers on a spinnerbait or chatterbait, be stored for a few months and not melt the SP skirts?
I'm not sure but i read a post on a different forum by a ZMan representative saying to not put them in tackle trays or other places where they would be exposed to other plastics and to keep them in their packaging, so to be safe you should probably stick with that

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:22 pm

Thanks croe for the advice. I did a little googling and couldn't find any reported issues regarding spinnerbait skirts, so still interested to hear if anyone has first hand experienced issues (or no issues) with storage of skirts and zmans.

Return to “Soft Plastics & Lures”