Yarra season close

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Re: Yarra season close

Post by Truedogz » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:05 pm

happyfriggincamper wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:31 am
Thought it was going to a hot day after the action in the first two pools and a number of similar looking pools ahead - but the next few brought nothing, which prompted the change up of lure cycle which felt neverending and non-rewarding with no more trout or indications of interest. So i was doing something wrong no doubt
Chris, that was a good effort in what is heavily fished water. As to not getting any more there are a number of explanations. Most likely, the 'bite window' closed due to time of day etc. The fish may have been disturbed further upstream by an angler, cormorants, etc. A change of lure type or method may have made a difference, but just as likely not.

Getting trout on lures in the Yarra is never easy. Anyhow, you have September to look forward to.
hornet wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:39 pm
I feel if the factory loaded line is 12lb its too heavy for lightish ? lures, celtas / wigstans ect
Hornet, 12lb line is too heavy for lure fishing for trout, unless you fish at night or trolling heavy lures down deep in lakes. In most circumstances it is way too visible. Also heavy line can impede the action of some lures and it definitely affects casting, increasing friction off the spool and through the runners. 6 to 8 lb is most popular with some people using 4 lb on very light tackle.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Re: Yarra season close

Post by hornet » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:37 pm

Truedogz wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:05 pm
happyfriggincamper wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:31 am
Thought it was going to a hot day after the action in the first two pools and a number of similar looking pools ahead - but the next few brought nothing, which prompted the change up of lure cycle which felt neverending and non-rewarding with no more trout or indications of interest. So i was doing something wrong no doubt
Chris, that was a good effort in what is heavily fished water. As to not getting any more there are a number of explanations. Most likely, the 'bite window' closed due to time of day etc. The fish may have been disturbed further upstream by an angler, cormorants, etc. A change of lure type or method may have made a difference, but just as likely not.

Getting trout on lures in the Yarra is never easy. Anyhow, you have September to look forward to.
hornet wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:39 pm
I feel if the factory loaded line is 12lb its too heavy for lightish ? lures, celtas / wigstans ect
Hornet, 12lb line is too heavy for lure fishing for trout, unless you fish at night or trolling heavy lures down deep in lakes. In most circumstances it is way too visible. Also heavy line can impede the action of some lures and it definitely affects casting, increasing friction off the spool and through the runners. 6 to 8 lb is most popular with some people using 4 lb on very light tackle.

Best Wishes

Truedogz
Thx for the insight I had a notion it wasn't right, on the hunt now for quality 6 or 8 lb mono, I prefer clear line for fresh water.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Return to “Other Species”