Shallow Inlet Fishing

LachyBell

Shallow Inlet Fishing

Post by LachyBell » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:37 pm

Was wondering if I could get some tips for Shallow Inlet at Sandy Point near Wilson’s Prom. I went there earlier and had some bites which felt like possible flatty bites but I was wondering if there’s any thing else I should know before going in the morning

bilby

Re: Shallow Inlet Fishing

Post by bilby » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:57 pm

You can walk out to the mouth, but be VERY careful re: tides and location - especially on the Sandy Point side. The edges can turn to quicksand quite quickly as the tide comes back in. Once out there, however, casting slugs / metal lures should produce some big salmon from the channel. Failing that, closer to Sandy Point there should be trevally, flathead, whiting, etc. depending on what is around.

LachyBell

Post by LachyBell » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:18 pm

Thanks for the tips where is the closest area to the mouth that I can drive too

StarrangerAU
Has liked: 58 times

Post by StarrangerAU » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:56 pm

bilby wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:57 pm
You can walk out to the mouth, but be VERY careful re: tides and location - especially on the Sandy Point side...
A good few months ago I stopped by Sandy Point, found the carpark down the end of Sandy Point Road near the waters edge at Shallow Inlet. I took a walk towards the river mouth, just to get a feel for how far I'd need to carry my gear.... my gosh its a bleeding loong walk, I must have gone 50 minutes before I turned around, I reckon the mouth was still another 30 minutes further, its a long hike.

How long has it taken you to hike out to the mouth of the inlet? A quad bike would be useful 😊

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Post by croe04 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:11 am

Go to the end of sandy point road where all the cars are and people launch their boats, walk around the flats and pump bass yabbies until you've reached your limit. The fish there love bass yabbies to bits and i've bagged out on whiting with my mates a couple times. Keep them in a bucket with an oxygen pump so they stay alive and fresh and you'll catch fish. Usually nice sized whiting, salmon come up the inlet and are there too and there might be flatties around too but i've never caught one myself. Might flick a few lures around next time I head up there. Hopefully you can get some luck, its a great spot.

cheers

croe

LachyBell

Post by LachyBell » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:11 am

croe04 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:11 am
Go to the end of sandy point road where all the cars are and people launch their boats, walk around the flats and pump bass yabbies until you've reached your limit. The fish there love bass yabbies to bits and i've bagged out on whiting with my mates a couple times. Keep them in a bucket with an oxygen pump so they stay alive and fresh and you'll catch fish. Usually nice sized whiting, salmon come up the inlet and are there too and there might be flatties around too but i've never caught one myself. Might flick a few lures around next time I head up there. Hopefully you can get some luck, its a great spot.

cheers

croe
Cheers for the tip how far do you have to walk in to the water or how far do you have to cast out becuase all I got was more soft bites today

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:13 pm

Those soft bites could be whiting or gars or mullet

croe04

Post by croe04 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:20 pm

LachyBell wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:11 am
croe04 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:11 am

cheers

croe
Cheers for the tip how far do you have to walk in to the water or how far do you have to cast out becuase all I got was more soft bites today
You don't have to cast too far at all, bait pump around -38.841035 146.155936 and walk about 15-20m to the right and the dropoff is right there. The soft bites were probably whiting so get smaller, preferably long shank hooks and light sinkers and you'll get em. If you want salmon try walking more towards the mouth of the inlet.

rickdor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by rickdor » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:00 pm

Hi All,

I am new to the site, I hope you can give me some tips along the way.

I will be going for 4 nights to Sandy Point next week for the first time and am wondering what the fishing will be like in the colder months in Shallow Inlet
I have seen that there is plenty of whiting and yabbies to pump for bait in summer but I'm guessing that in winter it will be a bit harder to catch bait/whiting.
I will be going with a kayak on the roof, but I'm not to comfortable fishing from it just yet so will be trying from shore as well.

Regards,
Rickdor

croe04

Post by croe04 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:11 pm

rickdor wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:00 pm
Hi All,

I am new to the site, I hope you can give me some tips along the way.

I will be going for 4 nights to Sandy Point next week for the first time and am wondering what the fishing will be like in the colder months in Shallow Inlet
I have seen that there is plenty of whiting and yabbies to pump for bait in summer but I'm guessing that in winter it will be a bit harder to catch bait/whiting.
I will be going with a kayak on the roof, but I'm not to comfortable fishing from it just yet so will be trying from shore as well.

Regards,
Rickdor
Welcome to the site mate!

I'm not sure about how the season affects bait pumping, but if you can, get yabbies, all the fish in the inlet love them. If you can't, the general store in sandy point sells frozen bait and tackle so try some pipis or squid. You could also try flicking some metal spinners around for salmon near the mouth of the inlet around high tide. Better yet, wait for a big southerly wind and chuck spinners along the beach. Good luck

cheers

croe

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”