Has liked: 138 times

Re: Trout lures/flies discussion

Post by Redhunter » Mon May 20, 2019 7:49 pm

April Fool wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 3:03 pm
Redhunter wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 8:41 pm
……………………………………………………………………………………..
An aggressive strike can come from a territorial fish at any time of year that simply hits something because it is in "their" space, or during spawning time specifically in lakes/impoundments when the fish get frustrated because they are unable to spawn. This is why bright colours such as reds and pinks work, because they certainly don't represent anything natural thats for sure.
Do you think it is possible the bright colors may represent the spawning colors of trout and that may then trigger the agression strike you are talking about. Maybe that is what you are saying anyway. I also like using orange when fishing around spawning time as me thinks the fishies may mistake it for roe...or for one of these little critters, the Barred galaxias.
barred galaxias.jpg

Been a while since I seriously targeted trout on lures but the last time I did...I had great results with the following Rapala color called 'bleak'!
f09alb.jpg
cheers
Team Bender
That is all I got!!!!
Maybe! Or considering the frustrated mood they are in, it could just be a case of bright, vibrant colours being far too irritating to them. Colours such as greens and blues are "calm" colours, whereas the brighter colours such as pinks, reds, and yes oranges, are the opposite.
Orange is also a colour that imitates goldfish, therefore carp. A good colour to have in the mix.

With lures, it is not just about colour. There are many other things which also come into play such as length, shape, 1-piece or 2-piece, rattles, action, dive depth, floating/suspending/sinking, along with retrieve, to just name a few. This is a good reason why lures catch more fishos than fish, because when fishos aren't catching fish, they're forever second guessing their approach and presentation. You can never have enough lures...lol.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Mon May 20, 2019 8:27 pm

The only area where I consider myself experienced when it comes to trout is small streams.

Lately for lures I've been running the Daiwa DR minnow as my first choice and then vary the colour with conditions. However, a big part of the reason I did the lure challenge vid was to show that in small streams the exact lure or colour you are using is not the most important factor imo.

For dry flies I generally use a royal stimulator in a size 16 unless there is a compelling evidence for something else, and for nymphs keep it super simple with slim bodied brown or black nymphs with heavy heads. Generally a 16 as well but run a 14 when it's a bit dirty and run these under a dry acting as an indicator (flies with deer hair are great for this as they are harder to 'drown' and often imitate caddis which tend to skate around a bit more so the unnatural drift isn't as off putting for fish)

Haven't done enough time on lakes and rivers yet to have such defined preferences.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Mon May 20, 2019 8:42 pm

Some great info guys.

I'm on a very steep learning curve reading this thread , , , , great thread.

Just a question , , , , I know that trout can eat their young and imitating that can work well (at certain times) and they do this for as a food source. But one repeated notion is sometimes the aggressive hit or irritating the trout or territorial etc. So does this mean when a trout hits a lure for these reasons it is more an attack rather than hunger ????

Cheers, Bug

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Mon May 20, 2019 10:59 pm

Generally - yes, but like all fish, there's always a deeply rooted theory that can be completely thrown out the window on any given day, hour or minute.

In my experience id say the bigger the fish, the more territorial and aggressive, but ive also sight casted big trout and hit them in the face multiple times with multiple lures for no attention.

Another trait ive seen a fair bit is trout swimming from behind to in front of the lure to take it head on. Dont know if that's a hunger or aggressive strike...

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Tue May 21, 2019 6:05 am

Bugatti wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 8:42 pm
Some great info guys.

I'm on a very steep learning curve reading this thread , , , , great thread.

Just a question , , , , I know that trout can eat their young and imitating that can work well (at certain times) and they do this for as a food source. But one repeated notion is sometimes the aggressive hit or irritating the trout or territorial etc. So does this mean when a trout hits a lure for these reasons it is more an attack rather than hunger ????

Cheers, Bug
I noticed when it's an aggressive hit, often the hookup is on the cheek. And when it's a feeding hit, usually on the jaw.
Or maybe just in my head, lol.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Tue May 21, 2019 8:20 am

mazman wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 8:27 pm
The only area where I consider myself experienced when it comes to trout is small streams.

Lately for lures I've been running the Daiwa DR minnow as my first choice and then vary the colour with conditions. However, a big part of the reason I did the lure challenge vid was to show that in small streams the exact lure or colour you are using is not the most important factor imo.

For dry flies I generally use a royal stimulator in a size 16 unless there is a compelling evidence for something else, and for nymphs keep it super simple with slim bodied brown or black nymphs with heavy heads. Generally a 16 as well but run a 14 when it's a bit dirty and run these under a dry acting as an indicator (flies with deer hair are great for this as they are harder to 'drown' and often imitate caddis which tend to skate around a bit more so the unnatural drift isn't as off putting for fish)

Haven't done enough time on lakes and rivers yet to have such defined preferences.
On your video you used dr minnow joint 50mm, better than the single piece? because of the 50mm size compared to 70mm single?
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Tue May 21, 2019 9:22 am

April Fool wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 3:03 pm
Do you think it is possible the bright colors may represent the spawning colors of trout and that may then trigger the agression strike you are talking about. Maybe that is what you are saying anyway. I also like using orange when fishing around spawning time as me thinks the fishies may mistake it for roe
Jim, the answer to your question is YES! In fact for many years in this state it was illegal to use lures that imitate roe when fishing for trout. In the 1950s a lure arrived from the USA called the Cherry Bobber which resembled trout roe with a small blade. It was nearly neutral buoyant so with current it would sit midwater or just above the bottom in an obvious strike zone. When it hit the scene it was incredibly successful, claiming a lot of big trout. It was so successful that people were fined for using it and it was removed from the shelf. That regulation seems to have gone out of the window, I've even seen flies resembling roe which would upset the purists. And yes I have a couple in my tacklebox ;-)

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a2/39/5f ... c8370a.jpg

I have cleaned trout that had fair quantities of roe and alevins in their stomachs and have no doubt they actively seek them as an energy rich food source.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

Return to “Soft Plastics & Lures”