Drying the boat out

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Drying the boat out

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:32 am

Spent the weekend at Portland, the first part of the trip was plan;

Leave Thursday afternoon and hopefully bet the traffic. Well, it took 2 hours to get through the city. Then it was actually smooth sailing until a wallaby decided to have an argument with the boat trailer. Trailer one, wallaby nil.

Friday was a pretty easy type of day, tried drifting to some flathead except the wind made the drift too fast, then went looking for some snapper, but only managed the ever-present wrasse.

Saturday, just managed to get on the water a little after sunrise and headed towards Cape Nelson, Bridgewater and spent 7 hours of trolling with zero results, a few bail balls in the afternoon, except other boats, were on them more aggressively than seagulls. At the ramp, we found out that we should have headed to the shelf. People say the self is a long way, but we did around 120 ks that day anyway. Not many fish were caught that day.

Sunday, unsure about the weather forecast, so sort some local knowledge and we headed out and got to Cape Nelson around 9 am. Not as many boats so we trolled, it as little bit more lumpy than Sat, listening to the weather forecast apparently a cool change was due to arrive at about 1330. at 11 or a bit after the wind started picking up a bit more, with white crests on the waves to about a 1.5 metres, so we turned a headed for home trolling, Eventually pulling in the lures and picking up speed we headed back to the ramp.

The boat ploughed on, through the swell and waves, it was when we turned across the waves to head to portland did life become a little interesting, broaching a few times, and get the nose buried into a wave. The worst part is that there is a thumping great hole where my anchor chain comes out and a few drops of water occasionally gush through that hole. ( I had thought about wrapping some plastic around it, but procrastination is my habit,)

After we arrived at the ramp a few other boats came in as well.

Today I decided to dry the boat out, and there are a few litres of water in the front hold and some very wet gear. There is even seaweed under the front cushion. ( I really must block off the hole next time)

Even the side gear holds are a tad damp. So stripping the all the gear out of the boat. I think how in the hell did all that stuff get in there. wet weather gear (that we don't wear) spare life jackets, odds and ends of clothing, a few bits of tackle that I have been looking all over the house for, :o_0:

ben475
Has liked: 161 times

Re: Drying the boat out

Post by ben475 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:13 pm

interesting story. what boat do you have?

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:47 pm

Already you had a crack mate
Do all people who have anchor winch have that problem when the nose dives?

Gultch78
Has liked: 312 times

Post by Gultch78 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:50 pm

Not if you have a sealed anchor locker with drains
I was a premium member before it was cool #aheadofthepack

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:57 pm

True

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:52 pm

ben475 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:13 pm
interesting story. what boat do you have?
Carribean Concorde

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:55 pm

smile0784 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:47 pm
Already you had a crack mate
Do all people who have anchor winch have that problem when the nose dives?
I had thought about wrapping something around the pipe howse to inhibit the water entry, it's just I didn't get around to it.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:15 pm

Get old thick wetsuit, cut off piece to fit over hawse pipe opening, cut piece in half, work out way to secure neoprene seal, what water then gets in the opening generally runs along the chain and into the anchor weol/compartment/whatever and drains out. Or do similar inside the compartment that diverts almost all the water into the self draining anchor well preventing everything else from getting soaked every second wave.

Return to “Boating”