Garfish fishing

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Garfish fishing

Post by 4liters » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:09 pm

try it and see, you might have discovered a new way of gar fishing
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:16 pm

SteveoTheTiger wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:51 pm
I see them come up to the boat quite a lot.

I have a hand line permanently rigged for Gars in case they do show up, but so far i havent had any success in getting them to bite. They just come up and check out the bait but never take it.

I am using a light float with a split shot, a tiny hook and usually a little bit of squid or pipi (less than the size of a pea).
I use a small slither of fresh pilchard, I also get them into a feeding frenzy with burley ... you have to get them into that feeding frenzy if you want to bag out. with out burley you chances are greatly diminished.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

j_pap

Post by j_pap » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:17 pm

dazz999 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:28 pm
wolly bugger has given you some great tip,s i love fishing for gar,s i learnt of the greek,s and just refined it a bit as wolly said go down and watch who,s catching a lot of gar,s if you dont invade there space they will give you some great tip,s just be polite as for bait i only use silverfish or maggots prefer silverfish but getting harder to obtain okay let,s get on to gear .i like a nice light rod i use 10.6 ft reel just a good 2500 and fluorocarbon leader good quality .waggler float split shotted correctly hook,s size 10# to 14# flyfishing long shank kamasan or gamakatsu . Float stopper.s so you can adjust the depth your fishing till you find where there feeding . Burley is the key not too much just enought to keep them interested youtube plenty of different mixes
Hi mate. What sort of rod do you have for gars? I wanna get one, just sussing **** out

AzCoy7
Has liked: 2 times

Post by AzCoy7 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:26 pm

A 7-foot Jarvis Walker red-coloured rod It's not specifically for garfish, I use it for general purpose.

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:11 pm

hornet wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:16 pm
SteveoTheTiger wrote:

I have a hand line permanently rigged for Gars in case they do show up, but so far i havent had any success in getting them to bite. They just come up and check out the bait but never take it.

I am using a light float with a split shot, a tiny hook and usually a little bit of squid or pipi (less than the size of a pea).
I use a small slither of fresh pilchard, I also get them into a feeding frenzy with burley ... you have to get them into that feeding frenzy if you want to bag out. with out burley you chances are greatly diminished.
Ok. i dont really use any burley as they are already hanging around the boat. Next time i see them i will try to get them excited with some berley crumbs.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:45 pm

j_pap wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:17 pm
dazz999 wrote:
wolly bugger has given you some great tip,s i love fishing for gar,s i learnt of the greek,s and just refined it a bit as wolly said go down and watch who,s catching a lot of gar,s if you dont invade there space they will give you some great tip,s just be polite as for bait i only use silverfish or maggots prefer silverfish but getting harder to obtain okay let,s get on to gear .i like a nice light rod i use 10.6 ft reel just a good 2500 and fluorocarbon leader good quality .waggler float split shotted correctly hook,s size 10# to 14# flyfishing long shank kamasan or gamakatsu . Float stopper.s so you can adjust the depth your fishing till you find where there feeding . Burley is the key not too much just enought to keep them interested youtube plenty of different mixes
Hi mate. What sort of rod do you have for gars? I wanna get one, just sussing **** out
The rod,s called the garfish slayer oops nah that,s what i call it. It,s a shakespeare slingshot 10.6 i think it,s rated at 2 to 5 kilo who know,s how they get the rating it,s just a nice light rod i sold all my course angling float rod,s 20yrs ago i thinnk i payed $55 for it .on a side not if anybody has a course angling float rod pm me

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:02 pm

SteveoTheTiger wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:11 pm
hornet wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:16 pm
SteveoTheTiger wrote:

Ok. i dont really use any burley as they are already hanging around the boat. Next time i see them i will try to get them excited with some berley crumbs.
You're on the money Hornet...
The smell of raison bread cooking away in the toaster is a killer, causing us to get hungry and want to eat something. Similar scenario with gars. They may be hanging around, but unless they are hungry they won't eat. A "little" burley helps get them in the mood ;)
With reference to bait, "fresh" is ALWAYS best as an overall rule with fishing. Don't be shy to rip a skinned fillet off a frog/salmon you just caught, and put a tiny piece on your hook if they are being fussy. Good luck!!

j_pap

Post by j_pap » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:10 pm

dazz999 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:45 pm
j_pap wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:17 pm
dazz999 wrote:
The rod,s called the garfish slayer oops nah that,s what i call it. It,s a shakespeare slingshot 10.6 i think it,s rated at 2 to 5 kilo who know,s how they get the rating it,s just a nice light rod i sold all my course angling float rod,s 20yrs ago i thinnk i payed $55 for it .on a side not if anybody has a course angling float rod pm me
Cheers mate. I was talking to a Chinese dude who sells those ISO rods, was thinking about getting one of those for garies and whatever. See what happens

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Post by e.welch » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:57 am

try mornington ive seen tons around

Return to “General”