Old, handmade spinners

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Old, handmade spinners

Post by ChrisD » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:01 am

Digging around in my tackle bags getting ready for tomorrow's trip to Eildon and came across these two handmade spinners.
My Grandfather worked in the Bendigo ordnance factory during WW2 - the metal spinner blade is actually part of a shell casing - as as the story goes the workers in the ordnance factory made hundreds of these spinners during the war.
I have had them in my tackle collection since I was a kid, used to have a dozen of them but over the years have lost most.
Have never had the heart to cast these last two, in case I lost them as well, but by the same token my grandfather didn't make them to sit in a tackle box forever.
So will add some new hooks and maybe some more wool on the tails and see how they go at Eildon tomorrow.
Attachments
spinners.jpg

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Old, handmade spinners

Post by Lightningx » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:36 am

Nice find mate.
Good luck up there :thumbsup:

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:05 pm

Nice mementos there. Oldie and goodie. Show millennial kids how it's done in the old days!
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

justabloke

Post by justabloke » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:58 pm

They look the goods! Should work well. I remember when I was a kid (about 100 years ago ha ha) my dad had some home made lures that had been made out of rifle cartridges. I don't remember if he or his father made them but they apparently worked well. They were similar to the old Devon Minnow. I think he might've used them a fair bit at Lake Glenmaggie in its heyday ie when it was still filling and the growth rate of trout was phenomenal. Always happy to see some old and improvised gear. Thanks for showing them.

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Post by April Fool » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:10 pm

It seems as though you have made up your mind to use them Chris. If you do want to hang onto them and yet try something identical, get a couple 'hogback' spinners. They are cheap and effective although there can be some issues with line twist.
Cheers
Jim

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:13 pm

April Fool wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:10 pm
It seems as though you have made up your mind to use them Chris. If you do want to hang onto them and yet try something identical, get a couple 'hogback' spinners. They are cheap and effective although there can be some issues with line twist.
Cheers
Jim
I'd do what AF mentioned, get a couple of Hogback Spinners, would hate to lose those old lures seeing they're the only two you have left.
I would be framing them for keeps sake..\

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Post by ChrisD » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:01 pm

Live from Eildon now, have thrown the spinners a few times but after one near snag decided that keeping them is better than losing them.
They are back in the tackle bag now.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:45 pm

I use to make them years ago like that for trout

Return to “General”