New to Fishing - Mordialloc

This is the place to introduce and tell everyone about yourself.
Dahousekat

New to Fishing - Mordialloc

Post by Dahousekat » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:06 pm

Hi there,

My 8 year old son is bursting to go fishing in the Mordialloc area...
Sadly, I don't have a clue how to fish but we would both like to learn.

Any suggestions will be most welcomed :-)

Jo

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: New to Fishing - Mordialloc

Post by Lightningx » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:18 pm

Hi there and welcome to the forum!
Mordialloc pier is a great pier for a variety of fish. I have caught plenty of gars,squid, pinkies and salmons :)

StarrangerAU
Has liked: 58 times

Post by StarrangerAU » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:39 pm

Dahousekat wrote: ....Any suggestions will be most welcomed :-)

Jo
Hello there and welcome,

Mordiallic Pier is a great place to begin the young fellas introduction to Fishing. No special equipment is required, other than your basic rod/reel and a small election of basic tackle. Does the young fella have these yet? If not you, will find the fishing stores (BCF , Anaconda , Compleat Angler) are usually quite helpful in fitting you out with an introductory kit within a budget.

He will need some bait on the day, usually this can be purchased at the Fishing store and kept frozen till needed, or purchased from some service stations on the day. For Mordiallic Pier perhaps pipis or pilchards would be a good choice to use.

I am fishing most weekends, either in the Bay region or further afield, and usually early mornings, I can offer some guidance if that interests you. PM me directly to discuss offline.

Good Luck,
Brett

Kenle
Has liked: 214 times

Post by Kenle » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:59 pm

Welcome mate, grab yourself a small 5 to 6 ft rod and reel with no more than 10 to 15 pound mono line. Tie a double drop rig with size 2 octopus hooks and use small squid strips or pippies. Cast out towards the end of the pier and you should get onto a few with that. Flathead, pinkies, trevaly, banjo and occasional Whiting may be encountered. Goodluck mate hope you and your son hook something.

Return to “Introductions”