Dodgy fuel

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Dodgy fuel

Post by Wolly Bugger » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:32 pm

On tuesday prior to heading out for a fishing trip I topped up the fuel tank from a servo that has a high turnover.

Headed out of Carrum and the motor starts lacking power like firing only on 3 cylinders. Then e it would pick and be fine for awhile the it'd lack power again.

Headed back to the ramp and checked the water trap. Emptied it, it only had a small amount of water in it.

Went back out hoping we fixed the problem and the was running fine but before too long it started playing up again. So that the end of fishing.

Today waited for BCF to open and bought a 22 litre plastic tank filled it with fresh fuel from a diffeirent servo. And no problems the motor ran like a dream all day without a hiccup.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: Dodgy fuel

Post by Nude up » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:20 pm

I had a similar thing a few years ago I picked up some water changed the fuel filter 3 times but the marine mechanic at drysdale gave me some really good advice pull the carbys off. I did and the had green slime in there as did the tank 140 litres of fuel later it was good to go.

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:30 am

Sounds like United fuel

repspec
Has liked: 11 times

Post by repspec » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:21 am

we see this sort of thing all the time.
We recommend sticking with the bigger fuel companies ie Shell, BP, Caltex, 7-11(moble)
Seen too many dramas with fuel from the other guys. It seems to be a combination of poor quality fuels and possibly fuels all containing Ethanol.

Make sure you drain out the fuel that was in there, but also check fuel lines and connections. We have had fuel lines and primer bulbs actually disintegrate on the inside, trapping the pieces in fuel fittings. This allows some fuel through, but not enough.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:04 pm

I had a similar issue with my tinny. A bit of water in the fuel made the rod that goes into the tank from the cap for the fuel gauge rust and went gunky which gunked up the carby. I took the carb off, pulled it apart and cleaned it out. Solved all the running problems.

I use this stuff called Fuel Doctor. You can get it from Supercheap auto. I use it on my big boat as well. I've never had a fuel issue since. I also use the Stabil stuff.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:27 pm

Out of curiosity, would running the premium fuel with the detergents stop these so called gunking up of components?
thats the only reason im always running 98 in my boat..mind you i dont leave the fuel more than a month in between top ups

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:59 pm

If you're running a 2 stroke 95 octane is plenty and if you don't leave your fuel for ages you shouldn't really need to add anything to the fuel.

Using a good 2 stroke oil will help.

Keeping your fuel tank out of the sun is also a good idea

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:08 pm

tank does get some sun unfortunately.
ive always used 98, and i think the difference in price for a 25l tank isnt that much between the two fuels (different story for the big boys)
im using penrite 2 stroke marine oil atm, usually have the mercury stuff which i couldnt get on short notice.
been a while since i took the boat out, time for some fresh 98 i think soon.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:31 pm

The outboard engine branded stuff is made by other companies and marked up. Stuff like Belray and Redline marine/watercraft 2 stroke oil is of much better quality.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:42 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:The outboard engine branded stuff is made by other companies and marked up. Stuff like Belray and Redline marine/watercraft 2 stroke oil is of much better quality.
where do you find these so called proper stuff then..

Return to “Boating”