The beginning of the End

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
Bayrock
Has liked: 34 times

The beginning of the End

Post by Bayrock » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:58 pm

The rape of Africa's last fish stocks has begun. Easy to take advantage of poor countries. This is happening all along the east and west coasts of africa
https://clubofmozambique.com/news/china ... cZi2DrIDYM

Sinsemilla

Re: The beginning of the End

Post by Sinsemilla » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:02 pm

That's sad. Just imagine what the world is going to be like in 50-100 years from now.. Greed is going to destroy this beautiful place we live in.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:59 am

Not good at all

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:27 am

James A Michener wrote two books Alaska and Chespeake, I can't remember which one contained details on how a salmon fishery was decimated by commerical interests.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:04 am

Yea that’s sad indeed...

Mustang38
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Mustang38 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:24 pm

Wow that’s scary. Imagine if they could put all that money and energy into aquaculture.
Surely this must be a better option. I was surprised they talked about expanding( cleaning out) other countries as they expand their fleet with new ships.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:37 pm

Mustang38 wrote:Wow that’s scary. Imagine if they could put all that money and energy into aquaculture.
Surely this must be a better option. I was surprised they talked about expanding( cleaning out) other countries as they expand their fleet with new ships.
Aquaculture consumes huge amounts of small pelagic fish so it isn't a silver bullet. In fact I'm pretty sure food for farmed fish was the destination for whatever that super trawler was targeting here.

A lot of this sort of thing goes on illegally too, smaller countries can't afford the naval radar systems needed to monitor their entire exclusive economic zone, and if they did they don't have the ships to mount an effective deterrent. As a result these long range trawlers can essentially poach fish from closed waters and escape undetected. It's a particular problem in the Pacific Islands and we've even donated and help maintain patrol boats to Pacific Island nations to help stop this sort of thing from happening.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:30 am

Anyone know where the super trawler has ended up?

Chaba

Post by Chaba » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:41 pm

Horrible!

In a similar vein, I'd be concerned about China's multi million dollar investments in Fiji and Vanuatu. These are Australasia's pacific neighbors, and "nirvana" for a large group of recreational fishers. Even those of us who cannot get there for that dream trip understand that these places are pristine in habitat and friendly in population. This will undoubtedly change soon.

Claims are made that these investments, which happen to be primarily marine based, will support the growth of tourism and are intended to bring the larger cruise ships in and thus support the local economy. To an extent, I guess that this is true.
New wharves, moorings, and "passenger terminals" are being built as I bang on about this. Incidentally, the new docking facility at Luganville in Vanuatu can comfortably accommodate an aircraft carrier. Think about that for a moment.

A very simple question has to be asked...... Why would China spend $114mil on a new wharf in Vanuatu unless there was something that stood to be gained? There are three things in my mind that could warrant these investments:

1) Altruistic donation (they want to give),
2) Military strategy (they want to fight),
3) Strategic access to fishing grounds (they want to take)

Only point 1 above is good in my opinion.

My comments above are about China as a country - a financially tuned entity, and not about individuals.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:25 am

Chaba wrote:Horrible!

In a similar vein, I'd be concerned about China's multi million dollar investments in Fiji and Vanuatu. These are Australasia's pacific neighbors, and "nirvana" for a large group of recreational fishers. Even those of us who cannot get there for that dream trip understand that these places are pristine in habitat and friendly in population. This will undoubtedly change soon.

Claims are made that these investments, which happen to be primarily marine based, will support the growth of tourism and are intended to bring the larger cruise ships in and thus support the local economy. To an extent, I guess that this is true.
New wharves, moorings, and "passenger terminals" are being built as I bang on about this. Incidentally, the new docking facility at Luganville in Vanuatu can comfortably accommodate an aircraft carrier. Think about that for a moment.

A very simple question has to be asked...... Why would China spend $114mil on a new wharf in Vanuatu unless there was something that stood to be gained? There are three things in my mind that could warrant these investments:

1) Altruistic donation (they want to give),
2) Military strategy (they want to fight),
3) Strategic access to fishing grounds (they want to take)

Only point 1 above is good in my opinion.

My comments above are about China as a country - a financially tuned entity, and not about individuals.
This situation highlighted perfectly the idiocy of the populist cuts to foreign aid made by our current government until recently. It is harder to condense into a memorable soundbite compared to the populist messages but foreign aid isn't just giving soft toys to starving Ethiopian kids and actually has important strategic elements to it. The Pacific nations were among those who lost out when aid was slashed and that vacuum gave China the perfect opening to expand it's influence in the region. Now we potentially have a Chinese naval base on our doorstep.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”