sandef wrote:What area of Melbourne are u in kestrel
Hi Sandef. I’m in Port Melbourne.
Cheers
Kestrel

sandef
Has liked: 54 times

Re: Live bait suppliers in Melbourne

Post by sandef » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:24 am

Fish-cador wrote:Douglas parade bait and tackle....

365 Douglas Parade, Newport.

Live tube worms - $500 per kilo last time I was there.
this will be close to you

Kestrel
Has liked: 6 times

Post by Kestrel » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:31 pm

Thanks everyone!
Cheers
Kestrel

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:39 pm

CA dandenong have some weird and wonderfulls in their live bait section.
maybe give them a call and see that hell they are..

Kestrel
Has liked: 6 times

Post by Kestrel » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:16 pm

Anyone know if CA Bentleigh has live baits?

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:29 pm

The one on the Nepean highway yea? Last time I was there I saw they had live yabbies.

Danners93

Post by Danners93 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:01 pm

Kimtown wrote:
Danners93 wrote:Compleat Angler in Ringwood has live bass yabbies and pippis which are collected from Venus Bay (or so they say) then frozen. I've used the pippis before and whilst I'd rather collect my own over using them they're still 100 times better than any packaged pippis. They seem to be the next best thing to collection your own (I've bought pippis from Fish shops and markets for bair before too) and they stay on the hook really well. They sell the bass yabbies by the dozen and the pippis by the KG. I'm really sorry but I don't know the price of either. Good luck!
I've never bothered to use fresh pipi. Can I ask, what's the main differences between frozen ones? It's hard to fathom how a simple pipi could be so different when frozen or fresh but I'm sure it is somehow..?

The main difference is just size and strength. A fresh (live) Pipi is almost leathery in texture and will actually stay on the hook. While most frozen ones will simply rip off they're that soft (lost count of how many have just dropped off on the cast). I find with frozen pipis I open the shell and theres so much ice in there the actual pipi seems to only occupy 3/4 of the shell where a fresh pipi seems to take up the entirety of the shell. Plus with all bait fresh out fishes frozen every day. I've been fishing with fresh pipis in between two blokes who are using frozen and caught fish while they havent. Same rigs, really similar setups it just comes down to the bait. Oh and frozen pipi STINKS compared to fresh. Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:57 pm

Danners93 wrote:
Kimtown wrote:
Danners93 wrote:Compleat Angler in Ringwood has live bass yabbies and pippis which are collected from Venus Bay (or so they say) then frozen. I've used the pippis before and whilst I'd rather collect my own over using them they're still 100 times better than any packaged pippis. They seem to be the next best thing to collection your own (I've bought pippis from Fish shops and markets for bair before too) and they stay on the hook really well. They sell the bass yabbies by the dozen and the pippis by the KG. I'm really sorry but I don't know the price of either. Good luck!
I've never bothered to use fresh pipi. Can I ask, what's the main differences between frozen ones? It's hard to fathom how a simple pipi could be so different when frozen or fresh but I'm sure it is somehow..?

The main difference is just size and strength. A fresh (live) Pipi is almost leathery in texture and will actually stay on the hook. While most frozen ones will simply rip off they're that soft (lost count of how many have just dropped off on the cast). I find with frozen pipis I open the shell and theres so much ice in there the actual pipi seems to only occupy 3/4 of the shell where a fresh pipi seems to take up the entirety of the shell. Plus with all bait fresh out fishes frozen every day. I've been fishing with fresh pipis in between two blokes who are using frozen and caught fish while they havent. Same rigs, really similar setups it just comes down to the bait. Oh and frozen pipi STINKS compared to fresh. Hope this helps :thumbsup:
Thanks mate I wish there were a local fresh pipi supplier but until then it's frozen servo pipies (which are honestly the size of 5c coins at times.

Return to “Melbourne Fishing Reports - Port Phillip Bay and Mornington Peninsula”