Wire Gauge for Lowrance?

sputnik

Wire Gauge for Lowrance?

Post by sputnik » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:36 pm

Hi guys,

I am in the process of installing a lowrance hook 2-9 fish finder to its own separate battery. The battery in mind will be a Century Marine Pro 680 (75 Amp hour). I plan on wiring the unit directly to the battery with the supplied inline fuse as close to the battery as possible, and no switches or panels in the circuit.

I am uncertain of two things.

Firstly is this even possible to do and secondly what gauge wire should i run from the battery to the fish finder power lead? From my understanding the hook uses an 18 gauge wire.

In future I may run some L.e.d lighting from the battery but that is it. The battery will be completely isolated from everything else.

Would love to hear some advice cheers.

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Re: Wire Gauge for Lowrance?

Post by skronkman » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:14 pm

Yes possible. You'll need to charge the batter manually with a charger between outings.

Just use a gauge of wire that is at least as thick as what's on the units power lead. have the inline fuse (or another fuse) as close to the battery as possible, like only a few centimetres from the positive battery terminal and keep your terminals covered (like in a battery box). This is not to protect your lowrance, it's to protect the wiring and anything at negative potential that the positive wire might come in contact with (potentially an aluminium hull!).

LED lighting can also be installed on same battery, again make sure you have a fuse (even the same fuse is ok if it has the correct rating for both sounder and lights combined) on the positive terminal, very close and inside the battery box. You'll likely want a switch for the lights, this comes after the fuse.

You will be able to monitor your battery voltage on the lowrance too which is handy.

sputnik

Post by sputnik » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:12 am

skronkman wrote:Yes possible. You'll need to charge the batter manually with a charger between outings.

Just use a gauge of wire that is at least as thick as what's on the units power lead. have the inline fuse (or another fuse) as close to the battery as possible, like only a few centimetres from the positive battery terminal and keep your terminals covered (like in a battery box). This is not to protect your lowrance, it's to protect the wiring and anything at negative potential that the positive wire might come in contact with (potentially an aluminium hull!).

LED lighting can also be installed on same battery, again make sure you have a fuse (even the same fuse is ok if it has the correct rating for both sounder and lights combined) on the positive terminal, very close and inside the battery box. You'll likely want a switch for the lights, this comes after the fuse.

You will be able to monitor your battery voltage on the lowrance too which is handy.
Could you run a thicker gauge wire like 10 gauge from the battery to the fuse then from the fuse to the 18 gauge fish finder cable lead ? I'd be crimping the connections so I don't know if there will be an issue running larger gauge to a smaller gauge or should it be kept the same size of 18 ga all the way through?

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:43 am

The larger gauge is totally fine but please remember to fuse the positive terminal inside the battery box. Jaycar sell a fuse holder with short leads already attached for about $2. This could be used as the jumper to your sounders wire (if long enough) or to your larger gauge wire. Generally speaking, larger gauges are used for longer wiring runs or higher current applications. Going too large a gauge for the application just costs more money.

sputnik

Post by sputnik » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:38 am

skronkman wrote:The larger gauge is totally fine but please remember to fuse the positive terminal inside the battery box. Jaycar sell a fuse holder with short leads already attached for about $2. This could be used as the jumper to your sounders wire (if long enough) or to your larger gauge wire. Generally speaking, larger gauges are used for longer wiring runs or higher current applications. Going too large a gauge for the application just costs more money.

Lowrance include a fuse and fuse holder with the sounder I believe its a 3 amp fuse. The unit draws roughly 1.62 amps per hour. I plan on connecting from the battery a short length of larger gauge wire (10GA) to the fuse holder, the from the fuse holder another long length 2.5m (10GA) to the smaller wire (18GA) of the sounder power lead. Does this sound like it would pose any issues? Also the battery will be kept in a battery box at the back of the boat.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:04 am

Is there any reason you want to connect to a spare battery on its own???
if your adamant to do it that way then look at the batteries that the kayakers use to power their sounders. its a lot smaller and easier to hookup. unless fcourse you already have this extra battery in your boat that you want to use.

the wiring gauge should be fine to be the same as OEM, no need for heavier gauge wire.

if you are doing it for security reasons then the newer lowrance units have a twistlock style connector, they are easily unclipped for storage reasons , mount the sounder on a Ram bracket and its easily removed.

sputnik

Post by sputnik » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:17 am

purple5ive wrote:Is there any reason you want to connect to a spare battery on its own???
if your adamant to do it that way then look at the batteries that the kayakers use to power their sounders. its a lot smaller and easier to hookup. unless fcourse you already have this extra battery in your boat that you want to use.

the wiring gauge should be fine to be the same as OEM, no need for heavier gauge wire.

if you are doing it for security reasons then the newer lowrance units have a twistlock style connector, they are easily unclipped for storage reasons , mount the sounder on a Ram bracket and its easily removed.
Want to have the sounder and any flood lighting completely isolated from the starter battery. So i should be fine to run 18 gauge wire all the way through? I have two rolls of 16 gauge wire will there be any issues using this thicker wire with the 18 gauge from the lowrance plug?

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:36 am

no issues going the thicker wire i would imagine, but let someone who is competent in that answer it properly for you.
i would look into dual battery systems on the boat and wire it properly if i were you

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:21 pm

sputnik wrote:
purple5ive wrote:Is there any reason you want to connect to a spare battery on its own???

Want to have the sounder and any flood lighting completely isolated from the starter battery. So i should be fine to run 18 gauge wire all the way through? I have two rolls of 16 gauge wire will there be any issues using this thicker wire with the 18 gauge from the lowrance plug?
How come you wouldn't put an isolator switch in? ....you can charge both batteries off the alternator which is handy.
s-l640.jpg

sputnik

Post by sputnik » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:15 pm

Mattblack wrote:
sputnik wrote:

How come you wouldn't put an isolator switch in? ....you can charge both batteries off the alternator which is handy.
s-l640.jpg

Dont want to mess with the wiring too much. Im happy to charge the battery before every outing.

Return to “Marine Electronics”