A report about...nothing!

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Re: A report about...nothing!

Post by April Fool » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:28 pm

Same result tonight...one small cod for my mate and nothing for me and the yellas remain absent although I haven’t caught many at this location before. Lots of stars and f*** all fishies! The shrimp are nowhere near as abundant as other years.
Cheers
Team Bender
Remains optimistic despite signs indicating possible apocalypse!

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:29 am

They'll turn up sooner or later, that's at "H" yes? cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

April Fool

Post by April Fool » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:50 am

davek wrote:They'll turn up sooner or later, that's at "H" yes? cheers davo
Yes. We fished slightly further down as there was somebody there where we normally park. They said they had caught some carp and small cod. So...Hein was fishing where I fished the previous night and got a fish whilst I was further down for FA!!! The water looked good though.
Cheers
Team Bender
I will return.
Last edited by April Fool on Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April Fool

Post by April Fool » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:12 pm

Fished for a couple hours yesterday arvo in a local channel. The wind was annoying to say the least! Small yabbies were my choice of bait...or should I say a yabby as one that was all that was needed! It deserved its freedom at the end after completing its tour of duty!
Cheers
Team Bender
No fish were harmed during this session!

April Fool

Post by April Fool » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:07 pm

Headed out for a couple hours Saturday arvo in windy conditions...identical to conditions I endured in my last couple fishless trips. I went to check out another channel which I had not tried before although I was sceptical as I had my doubts about water flow due to recent rain. I was correct in my thinking and the channel was off. Of course the fishies may still be active but the water level drops and I have access problems.

This spot is different to most channels I fish as within a 20 metre radius there is 2 road bridges, a railway bridge, a regulator and a channel that flows into the channel and lots of trees along parts of the bank!
reg 80.jpg
Downstream looks rather fishy!
downstream 80.jpg
Like all the places I fish it is easily accessible and therefore likely gets a flogging but I will return there at a later date. So I went on to 'old reliable'! Plenty of flowing water here!
main 80.jpg
I used yabbies for bait and only had one decent bite in 2 hours. A very exposed spot, the wind was annoying but can not be used as an excuse. I learnt later that 'Dangerous Dave from Nagas' scored a nice yella in the same conditions upstream of where I was.

Despite the poor result, planning for my next trip was underway whilst I was sitting there cathching FA!
cheers
Team Bender
Has no shame!
Last edited by April Fool on Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

davek

Post by davek » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:20 pm

You’re out there,that’s the thing, the fish will come but they might wait until I’m with you, :thumbsup: cheers davo

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:55 pm

Are you allowed to Kayak in the channels ? you could cover long distance trolling by paddle.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

davek

Post by davek » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:17 pm

hornet wrote:Are you allowed to Kayak in the channels ? you could cover long distance trolling by paddle.
Officially, no, but in saying that I have seen it happen, low crossings and regulators would be a hindrance but yes you could cover some water, cheers davo

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:40 pm

Jim - yabbie and cheese ??
I like to try a smorgasbord, but, Darstedly Dave will catch the fish 2ft away
Looking forward to the Codference
Cheers Gra

April Fool

Post by April Fool » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:01 am

hornet wrote:Are you allowed to Kayak in the channels ? you could cover long distance trolling by paddle.
Technically, we are not even allowed to fish the channels! Hiding somewhere in fine print on GMW's website there should be a statement that the channels are GMW property and no unauthorised access is allowed. Their bossman was on local TV last season stating that the channels were off limits for anybody. However, they do not enforce it. They say this to cover themselves when people lose their lives...and some have. This happens with swimming more than anything. Talking to GMW staff...they do not mind people fishing as long as you are not doing the wrong thing like leaving rubbish or vandalising locked gates.

As for the kayaking in channels, I did it as a teenager. But as Dave said, lots of obstacles and technically not allowed. If you were doing it and were confronted by a staff member, they may overlook it but I would guess the worst outcome is that they would just ask you to stop.
Texas wrote:Jim - yabbie and cheese ??
I like to try a smorgasbord, but, Darstedly Dave will catch the fish 2ft away
Looking forward to the Codference
Cheers Gra
The yabby may eat the cheese!!!!!! I know cheese is a successful bait for cod but I prefer using natural baits...despite the fact my catch rate suffers because of it!
cheers
Jim

Return to “Northern Victoria Fishing Reports”