Season Starter.

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Re: Season Starter.

Post by re-tyred » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:11 pm

Well even calmer than yesterday, so may as well give it another crack.
Late start after my morning swim. Crossed the bar at 9am and went straight to where I finnished yesterday. fished around there for an hour in glassy calm. Just the usual suspects, sargent bakers and finger print fish.
Moved up to the east to just inside the 4 mile where there are a couple of isolated rocks. Heaps of bites but again just rubbish.
Then wack and something is on that is fighting too much to be a sargent baker but not really like a pinky. Thinking this is going to be some sort of junk. It started doing mini circles as I brought it up, just like KGW do at times. Then I saw a bit of colour and shape and thought bloody mackeral, but I was wrong up popped a nice size KGW. Woohoo flicked in onboard rather quick as visions of it getting off at the last minute flashed through my head.
Quickly baited up and back down to nothing again. I noticed a bit of fish showing up about 10 meters above the bottom and thought yeah couta are moving in. Sure enough as i brought my line up to check it i was smashed by a large couta, it managed to get off just as I was going to bring it onboard. Well maybe i will catch a few for bait seeing snapper season is nearly here. So dropped my line down about 15 mtrs put it in the holder and attended to my other rod that was on the bottom getting nibbles. As i was trying to hook a nibbler I saw the "couta" rod bouncing up and down, didn't rush just finished with my bottom rig and picked up the wildly bouncing rod. casually wound it in expecting the couta to get off, and up popped a pinky. :P from the middle of the water column. Tried to repeat both the KGW and the pinky incident but no luck so off home for a late lunch.
Attachments
sept2018 inside 4mile.jpg
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:21 pm

That's a nice size kgw mate... 43cm?

Dont think I've ever seen one caught offshore before

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:26 pm

Makes the 35cm Pinky look a bit small. Didn't do an exact measure but it was well past the 40cm and fat too. Couple of decent fillets of it. Get an occasional one offshore just can't seem to get any quantity. Soon as I down size to whiting gear I just load up on rubbish fish.. Mostly get them just off the edge of the rocks on the gravel bottom.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:32 pm

Thanks for the reports...keep them coming!

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:41 pm

The finished product. Whiting and morwong with octopus salad. I caught an octopus too.
Attachments
dinner.jpg

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:49 pm

re-tyred wrote:
smile0784 wrote:Better then cleaning gutters all day lol
or cutting wood which was the other job I had to do :o_0:
Even worse lol

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:52 pm

Very nice

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:54 pm

re-tyred wrote:Well even calmer than yesterday, so may as well give it another crack.
Late start after my morning swim. Crossed the bar at 9am and went straight to where I finnished yesterday. fished around there for an hour in glassy calm. Just the usual suspects, sargent bakers and finger print fish.
Moved up to the east to just inside the 4 mile where there are a couple of isolated rocks. Heaps of bites but again just rubbish.
Then wack and something is on that is fighting too much to be a sargent baker but not really like a pinky. Thinking this is going to be some sort of junk. It started doing mini circles as I brought it up, just like KGW do at times. Then I saw a bit of colour and shape and thought bloody mackeral, but I was wrong up popped a nice size KGW. Woohoo flicked in onboard rather quick as visions of it getting off at the last minute flashed through my head.
Quickly baited up and back down to nothing again. I noticed a bit of fish showing up about 10 meters above the bottom and thought yeah couta are moving in. Sure enough as i brought my line up to check it i was smashed by a large couta, it managed to get off just as I was going to bring it onboard. Well maybe i will catch a few for bait seeing snapper season is nearly here. So dropped my line down about 15 mtrs put it in the holder and attended to my other rod that was on the bottom getting nibbles. As i was trying to hook a nibbler I saw the "couta" rod bouncing up and down, didn't rush just finished with my bottom rig and picked up the wildly bouncing rod. casually wound it in expecting the couta to get off, and up popped a pinky. :P from the middle of the water column. Tried to repeat both the KGW and the pinky incident but no luck so off home for a late lunch.
That’s a nice kgw mate.
You would get a couple of nice big fillets off that one :thumbsup:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:54 pm

re-tyred wrote:The finished product. Whiting and morwong with octopus salad. I caught an octopus too.
That looks very nice :thumbsup:

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:17 pm

Back out again today. Gave it a try down on the beach to see if any gummies around but no luck. tried a few different spots, after an hour headed back out to the rocks and had another go where I caught the KGW last week. It was slow going with lots of doubled headers of Sgt Bakers, a few bull eye gurnard and finger print fish. The couta were out in force as well and just a few mackerel. Couple of hours produced a feed. :banana: 42cm snapper, a nice tiger flathead, a nannygai and the good old blue jacket.
Attachments
4mile sept 2018.jpg

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”