First Reds of the season including my PB!

Big Red's, Pinkies, Pagrus auratus, Melbourne Snapper, the Crimson Tide
STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

First Reds of the season including my PB!

Post by STriplett1997 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:52 am

G'day everyone,

Finally my boat is fixed. Very happy with the new transom, Shane @ Avenger Marine did a great job. Launched for the first time in 5 months yesterday with my buddy Josh on board and it was a cracker day.
imgonline-com-ua-compressed-bx2j2p6bPlt70jgc.jpg
imgonline-com-ua-compressed-g0lF0dAQqF1mL1.jpg
Already with 7 frozen fresh squid from the week before on board we decided to hit up Tyabb for a few fresh ones. I pushed in shallow to 1.5m due to the strong early NW wind and planned to drift back out over the drop. First cast and bang a squid.. already such a great start to the day. We continued the squidding but unfortunately couldn't manage anymore.

Made the decision to boat down to BP Jetty and try snag a few Yakkas & Couta. This is a first for me.. but it was completely DEAD. There is also some construction already going on there, im assuming for this stupid AGL Gas Terminal. :down: :down:

I didn't want to waste too much time so i pulled the pin about 25 mins in. Motored back up to Yaringa where we sat on a mark of mine for 90 minutes with as little as a touch. Usually im not one to move around too much, i like sitting out spots you believe in.

A few days ago we had spoken about giving a mark of mine from last season a go. Reefy, Coral ground with some nice holes in amongst it all. "Lets go to Joes", i had this gut feeling and ive learnt to always trust it.

Off to Joes island we went, going flat stick on a glassed Western Port Bay, so beautiful to be back amongst it. We sounded around for a little while around Joes, but i made the decision to go anchor up on my mark.

Not long in and we had 3 Couta follow a bait back up to the boat. I had Josh keep the bait in the water and immediately i dropped down a metal and started vertically jigging it back up and boom, they couldnt get enough of it. Some more FRESH BAIT :thumbsup: .

10 Minutes later, my rod started to twitch and twizzle and then it buckled! zzzzzzzzz...! I've missed this feeling big time! Put up a great fight for a 3kg fish.
imgonline-com-ua-compressed-rM7AafU7Hm.jpg
After a couple quick photos i cut half a couta fillet and out it went. 5 minutes went by when it buckled and was screaming. Both fish very aggressive takes. It was a great fight and i knew i had a Big fish on, the runs were long and fast as opposed to short zippy runs. It dogged it under the boat for a few minutes and then she broke the surface. Absolutely stoked.. 6kg Red. First trip of the season and on my boat in 5 months. Couldn't have asked for a better start.
imgonline-com-ua-Compressed-YRR2owawTcTx1Oh.jpg
imgonline-com-ua-compressed-ssVUAoH4VlN.jpg
Its going to be a massive season. :water:

Cheers.
Last edited by STriplett1997 on Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Re: First Reds of the season including my PB!

Post by Kimtown » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:56 am

Yeahhh boy!!
That's a mint start to the season and congrats getting your tub back. Bet you're excited.

Fishing wpb sunday?

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:09 am

Kimtown wrote:Yeahhh boy!!
That's a mint start to the season and congrats getting your tub back. Bet you're excited.

Fishing wpb sunday?

Haha cheers mate. Im over the moon with A the fish and B the boat! good past few days.

Possibly, i have another commitment later in the day that might get in the way :(

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:11 am

Cheers!...this report has fired me up

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:38 am

Ripping effort mate. Making me regret choosing PPB last week instead of WP!!

Good to hear the boat is back in action, looking forward to reading your reports!

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:41 am

yepi'mon wrote:Ripping effort mate. Making me regret choosing PPB last week instead of WP!!

Good to hear the boat is back in action, looking forward to reading your reports!
ALWAYS choose WPB. Never PPB :tongue:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:41 am

Woooohooooooo!!! That’s the way mate.
I went out for my first big red hunt last night. Lots of small bites and ended up with a feed of some standard size pinkies. Can’t wait for that buckle and scream though. I feel it’s going to happen soon.
A couple of beauties mate. Off to an awesome start. Hopefully it’s just the start of many more to come for you this season :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

snorkly

Post by snorkly » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:47 am

Great report & also great fish mate, what a start to season :a_goodjob:

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:06 pm

Mattblack wrote:Cheers!...this report has fired me up
I was hoping for that outcome mate. Go get em :thumbsup:

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:07 pm

yepi'mon wrote:Ripping effort mate. Making me regret choosing PPB last week instead of WP!!

Cheers mate, very happy! Always WP !!!!

Return to “Snapper Fishing”