Gummy tips and help.

Gummy Sharks, Mako Sharks, Thresher Sharks, Elephant Sharks, Banjo Sharks, Port Jackson Sharks, Seven Gill Sharks, and more
A-a-ron
Has liked: 32 times

Gummy tips and help.

Post by A-a-ron » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:21 am

Hey everyone,

So every time I go for gummies I seem to be 20-50m off the spot they are, as others are pulling them in, even when I’ve got exactly the same bait. I seems to get smashed by sea lice just about every time even the fresh squid got hammered, is there anyway to keep them away and would it matter for a gummy if the baits got sea lice all over it? Also get hammered by the crabs and even had one tangle in my line last night.

Using a running sinker with a meter or so of 100lbs leader and single size 6 circle hook. Would a float help or would this be a deterrent for a gummy like sea lice maybe?

fishmagnet

Re: Gummy tips and help.

Post by fishmagnet » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:51 am

try fishing around the full moon and using tougher baits such as squid. other than that you can't do much about the sea lice and you'll have to check your baits pretty often

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:06 pm

What area you fishing Aaron? It could be they are in a better spot to intercept moving fish that smell the bait.

Know sealice can be a pain but two boats not far apart would be impacted the same by them

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:34 pm

A-a-ron wrote:Hey everyone,

So every time I go for gummies I seem to be 20-50m off the spot they are, as others are pulling them in, even when I’ve got exactly the same bait. I seems to get smashed by sea lice just about every time even the fresh squid got hammered, is there anyway to keep them away and would it matter for a gummy if the baits got sea lice all over it? Also get hammered by the crabs and even had one tangle in my line last night.

Using a running sinker with a meter or so of 100lbs leader and single size 6 circle hook. Would a float help or would this be a deterrent for a gummy like sea lice maybe?
How do U know they r using same bait? They ur mates in other boat ? Just wondering
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

A-a-ron

Post by A-a-ron » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:17 pm

Sorry I forgot to add it’s landbased. I knew it was same rigs and bait as spoke to the people to see if I was doing anything wrong on the night. Tried full moon and squid last night, still have that issue with sea lice smashing it. They were out in force could’ve counted 50 plus on each bit of bait after I’d pull it in to check after 10-15mins. Seem to have everything right with tide times, bait, areas and what not just can’t land one if I payed them. I’ve been fishing westernport mostly somers, balnarring, Tenby point, stockyard, Lang Lang, merricks, point leo.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:34 pm

Sounds like just some bad luck mate.
It took me awhile to land my first gummy when I started I remember.
I’m sure with persistence it will pay off eventually! :)

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:56 pm

Ditch the 100lb and use 40lb or 60lb, it will make a huge difference.
Lice are a pain, but you will still catch fish when they are around, you just need to fish through them, check your bait after 10 mins, if it's still ok, leave it for 20mins next time.

Gummies will pick up and shake the bait(head shake) to get most of the lice to fall off, if they want to eat it.

I'm going to be heading over for a session, once my father is out of Hospital and I have some more free time, you are welcome to tag along if you like.
I generally fish Balnarring, Merricks and Leo.

A-a-ron

Post by A-a-ron » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:36 pm

Lightningx wrote:Sounds like just some bad luck mate.
It took me awhile to land my first gummy when I started I remember.
I’m sure with persistence it will pay off eventually! :)
Think you’re right, was hoping it wasn’t the case lol but yea I’ll just keep slugging it out and hopefully one day I’ll land one. Cheers

A-a-ron

Post by A-a-ron » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:41 pm

Brett wrote:Ditch the 100lb and use 40lb or 60lb, it will make a huge difference.
Lice are a pain, but you will still catch fish when they are around, you just need to fish through them, check your bait after 10 mins, if it's still ok, leave it for 20mins next time.

Gummies will pick up and shake the bait(head shake) to get most of the lice to fall off, if they want to eat it.

I'm going to be heading over for a session, once my father is out of Hospital and I have some more free time, you are welcome to tag along if you like.
I generally fish Balnarring, Merricks and Leo.
Awesome, cheers for the tip with the leader. I’ve always been told 80-100lbs. I’ll go grab some and switch it over and see how I go.

Good point with the head shakes, now I understand why they do it along with trying to tear bits off.

Hoping your old man is alright soon. That’d Be awesome if i could, thank you. Be great to learn a thing or two I don’t know about them. :cheers:

Hoping to head down to Welshpool area on boat with a mates family friends who seems to land a few big ones. Hopefully that helps gaining some knowledge as well and finally landing a gummy. :thumbsup:

Al03

Post by Al03 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:46 am

Have not tried this method myself, but have heard of people dipping their baits in Kero to ward of the lice. Old Greek bloke I used to know reckons he used this method with good results. Anyone else here heard of this tactic. I am a bit sceptical to be honest.

Return to “Shark Fishing”