Kayaks2fish

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Kayaks2fish

Post by rb85 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:38 am

Anyone used these?

https://www.kayaks2fish.com/fishing-kay ... gJXj_D_BwE

Thinking about purchasing one for fishing lakes,rivers and creeks. Possibly a little bit of close to shore squidding.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Kayaks2fish

Post by smile0784 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:42 am

Bit small isnt it. Only 2.7mt long

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:28 pm

rb85 wrote:Anyone used these?

Thinking about purchasing one for fishing lakes,rivers and creeks. Possibly a little bit of close to shore squidding.
first I don't use one - and wouldn't

the reasons short kayaks are damm hard work to paddle and as a fishing kayak it is fairly limited

small creeks and quite water ways Ok but if you are thinking lakes and rivers - Lakes can be just as bad as the bays if it chops up and wind funnels through the valleys sometime making it less than comfortable ( also just a note more kayak deaths have come from inland waters than the bays and coastal )
and rivers have a flow you may need to head back into - heading down hill is OK but heading uphill again with a craft that has a speed no faster than the river flows is a long walk back
as for squiding on a nice day it would again be OK but you don't wont the weather to turn while on the water - an example a couple of years back one on the guys off Vyak got caught out when a low front came in ( around Altona somewhere ) the front came through 4 or more hours ahead of forcast and he had planed to be off the water well before
anyway he was on a 3 meter kayak and only 100 - 150 meters out but couldn't make progress into the wind where as a 4 meter + kayak would have the tracking ability and extra speed to have got in even if slow hard work -- as it was he drop an anchor and called for help

I've done some miles on the Murray and would use anything under 4 meters long for the trip back uphill same goes for bays and lakes -- can you fish out of a 2.7 meter pool toy of cause but is is more limited than a proper fishing kayak
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

rb85

Post by rb85 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:39 pm

Always good for info cheater cheers. The reason I want short is for skinny waterways this won’t be used in current and only extremely protected locations. Definitely not the Murray or PPB maybe shallows around Ventnor water I know very well.

Haven’t completely made up my mind on length but won’t be doing long paddles even though I’m fit enough.

rb85

Post by rb85 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:41 pm

For proper fishing I’ve got a boat if I was going to spend the money it costs to get a proper fishing yak I’d get a project boat this is more for occasional entertainment.

cantcatchem

Post by cantcatchem » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:47 pm

I had one for a few years, I used to fish in close in PPB and up a few local rivers and lakes and honestly they are fine, very stable and a good fishing yak, I know some advice is not to get one but unless you are going to paddle heaps of Km's out and risk your life then are good for what you require

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:23 pm

Started off in a 3m kayak. Regardless of intentions sooner or later you end up in conditions which make it difficult/dangerous. Soon went up to 4m, massive improvement all round. Even a basic 3.6m kayak substantially ups your safety margin.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:26 pm

laneends wrote:Started off in a 3m kayak. Regardless of intentions sooner or later you end up in conditions which make it difficult/dangerous. Soon went up to 4m, massive improvement all round. Even a basic 3.6m kayak substantially ups your safety margin.
it's a common story isn't it keith
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

rb85

Post by rb85 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:08 pm

cantcatchem wrote:

I had one for a few years, I used to fish in close in PPB and up a few local rivers and lakes and honestly they are fine, very stable and a good fishing yak, I know some advice is not to get one but unless you are going to paddle heaps of Km's out and risk your life then are good for what you require
Yeah I think for what my intended use is it will be ok. If I am venturing out further I would be using my boat. 99% of it's use will be inland creeks and rivers when it's slow flowing and the occasional foray on a few lakes. If I was going to spend $1000 plus on a kayak I would be putting it towards a second boat with a casting deck.

rb85

Post by rb85 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:21 am

Great day for a paddle.

Return to “Kayak Fishing”