Just bought a kayak.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Re: Just bought a kayak.

Post by cheaterparts » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:01 pm

baitworms wrote: Its not that some do the right thing, its uneducated f'wits that think their bullet proof.
Anyway my liver is cleaned I withdraw.
and that's why many of us seasoned kayak fishos don't call new guys uneducated fwits but point new guys to

http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=8

I don't think any safety issue is over looked there and is a chance to learn what we take for granted

checking weather
being able to contact help
being able to re mount a kayak you've been knocked off
dressing to stay warm
and many other safety things

the biggest problem is many buy kayaks from places where the retailer also doesn't know about kayaking and doesn't give any of the right info
to these inexperienced new punters

for example film by Rhino at Altona
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tcqCscAaOY
Last edited by cheaterparts on Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:03 pm

cobby wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
cobby wrote:
smile0784 wrote:
cobby wrote:
If a 5m boat had a 2.4m beam I'd be getting the highest possible extras cover on the private health insurance because by god you'd need every last cent spent on your back in such a boat!
Depends how hard you ride the boat.
I been out in a 2.5 mt swell at bermagui and different day half meter chop on westenport in the 5.2mt quintrex and my wasnt too bad when i got back.
I dont drive as hard as others in those conditions so i didnt find it a problem
But the beam of the quinny is no where near 2.4m. If it was, it'd be an even worse ride no matter how hard or soft you drive it. So bad, that only the absolute dumbest of people would buy one

The 233 Formula has a 2.4m beam, it's also over 7m long! A Haines 565L is just shy of 6m long and is only 2.2m across. sh*t, even the very wide CruiseCraft 530 Explorer is only 2.33m wide at 5.75m long! So again, 2.4m beam on a 5m boat is a recipe for chronic back pain in very little time
Not all boats are made the same though :-D

https://www.polycraft.com.au/model-rang ... re-console
It also rides completely different to the 3 I pointed out.
Most defenitely... But I can gurantee you there won't be many sore backs in the poly. I've never been in any of the others so i can't comment.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:23 pm

cheaterparts wrote:
baitworms wrote: Its not that some do the right thing, its uneducated f'wits that think their bullet proof.
Anyway my liver is cleaned I withdraw.
and that's why many of us seasoned kayak fishos don't call new guys uneducated fwits but point new guys to

http://www.vyak.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=8

I don't think any safety issue is over looked there and is a chance to learn what we take for granted

checking weather
being able to contact help
being able to re mount a kayak you've been knocked off
dressing to stay warm
and many other safety things

the biggest problem is many buy kayaks from places where the retailer also doesn't know about kayaking and doesn't give any of the right info
to these inexperienced new punters

for example film by Rhino at Altona
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tcqCscAaOY
**** that video is a pisser
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:28 pm

Totally agree and the problem is the increasing number of folks out wide in the bay in their stumpy little kayaks, that couldn't point straight in a stiff wind, which is a bit like taking a tinny out into Bass straight chasing tuna.

Then there are the clowns who dont learn and have the coast guard called out a second time.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:37 pm

purple5ive wrote:
cobby wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
cobby wrote:
smile0784 wrote:
Depends how hard you ride the boat.
I been out in a 2.5 mt swell at bermagui and different day half meter chop on westenport in the 5.2mt quintrex and my wasnt too bad when i got back.
I dont drive as hard as others in those conditions so i didnt find it a problem
But the beam of the quinny is no where near 2.4m. If it was, it'd be an even worse ride no matter how hard or soft you drive it. So bad, that only the absolute dumbest of people would buy one

The 233 Formula has a 2.4m beam, it's also over 7m long! A Haines 565L is just shy of 6m long and is only 2.2m across. sh*t, even the very wide CruiseCraft 530 Explorer is only 2.33m wide at 5.75m long! So again, 2.4m beam on a 5m boat is a recipe for chronic back pain in very little time

Most defenitely... But I can gurantee you there won't be many sore backs in the poly. I've never been in any of the others so i can't comment.
It's also 6.1m long. Length v width. The added flex of the plastic also helps compared to alloy or glass. The average boat on the bay (4.5-5.2m long) will have a beam no more than 2.2m. The added stationary stability of a wider boat in that length is counter intuitive to its handling when under way, at any speed

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:30 am

cobby wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
cobby wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
cobby wrote:

It's also 6.1m long. Length v width. The added flex of the plastic also helps compared to alloy or glass. The average boat on the bay (4.5-5.2m long) will have a beam no more than 2.2m. The added stationary stability of a wider boat in that length is counter intuitive to its handling when under way, at any speed
yes, was just mentioning that there were boats with 2.5m beams in a 6m boat that wont break your back, how they perform otherwise however is a different story. but yes the poly flexes a LOT which is what give it the smoother ride
horses for causes i guess.

Return to “Kayak Fishing”