Building in a rural area

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Re: Building in a rural area

Post by Boonanza » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:34 am

I think you need to do a lot more research before you do anything. Even if that means renting for a year to get the feel of the area you are looking at buying. The best thing with rural property is the prices don't rise as much as Melbourne so you have plenty of time.
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

baitworms

Post by baitworms » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:42 pm

In Bairnsdale check out Blay builders.
Near Patties pie heading out to lakes right hand side next to boat yard.
Top builder in area.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:02 pm

Boonanza wrote:I think you need to do a lot more research before you do anything. Even if that means renting for a year to get the feel of the area you are looking at buying. The best thing with rural property is the prices don't rise as much as Melbourne so you have plenty of time.
Absolutely agree with this advice (I've done a rural build and the whole 'tree change' thing...you'd be surprised what you haven't thought of, & you'll only find out by trying it 1st)

Hosery

Post by Hosery » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:47 pm

Which builder were you looking at going through? You can take a plan you like to a different builder so long as you change a few things to make it your own plan

Lajon

Post by Lajon » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:54 pm

I am building in Grantville (as soon as the land titles) and it was approx. 3k extra for out there, however it was waived as part of negotiations. The costs are not usually substantial.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:30 pm

Lightningx wrote:Where abouts were you thinking mate?
Bairnsdale

one2three

Post by one2three » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:16 pm

smile0784 wrote:Went to seen a few display homes today and they said i have to pay a.extra charge to build in a rural area but they wouldnt tell me how much.

Does.anyone.have a idea on how extra it will be or how it is calculated?

You should jump on the Homeone Forum lots of good advice and knowledge.

https://forum.homeone.com.au/

Also allow an extra $5K in your budget to have your own independent building inspector who WORKS for you and not the builder.

Take lots and lots of photos no matter what, even it means nothing to you.
Jack of all trades, Master of none

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:05 pm

Im a all in or nothing kinda guy so either move completly or not al all

Hosery

Post by Hosery » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:09 pm

one2three wrote:Also allow an extra $5K in your budget to have your own independent building inspector who WORKS for you and not the builder.
May I ask why the heck you would even consider wasting 5k of your hard earned on something like that? I'd save the 5k and put it towards extras, landscaping etc.

All these people that think the inspectors only work for the building company to help them out have no idea. Everything has to comply with industry standards and the engineering. And if said inspector is dodgy they will be answering to the vba and have their head on the chopping block.

Plus you can choose your own building inspector for your build nowadays instead of hiring 1 independently

one2three

Post by one2three » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:21 pm

Hosery wrote:
one2three wrote:Also allow an extra $5K in your budget to have your own independent building inspector who WORKS for you and not the builder.
May I ask why the heck you would even consider wasting 5k of your hard earned on something like that? I'd save the 5k and put it towards extras, landscaping etc.

All these people that think the inspectors only work for the building company to help them out have no idea. Everything has to comply with industry standards and the engineering. And if said inspector is dodgy they will be answering to the vba and have their head on the chopping block.

Plus you can choose your own building inspector for your build nowadays instead of hiring 1 independently
You should go to VCAT and see how many issues people have in their build.

VBA is a toothless tiger.

Many sites have engineering issues, slab heave, building surveyors are corrupted.

Make sure you engage a person to look at your contract.

Here a few links

https://m.facebook.com/vicbuildingactiongroup/

https://m.facebook.com/safeashouses.au/

People look for help once they encounter problems, $5K is cheaper at the start than a legal system that cost tens of thousands.
Jack of all trades, Master of none

Return to “Off Topic Forum”