Shimano game spinning outfit?

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Re: Shimano game spinning outfit?

Post by frozenpod » Mon May 28, 2018 4:32 pm

We found the free spool of egg beaters provided slightly better hook up rates.

Worth having one outfit IMO.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Mon May 28, 2018 11:28 pm

Only time I'd have a spin outfit for trolling is set as shotgun in the launchers way out back with a small plastic/slug/stickbait on a 7ft or so rod. And that's only because getting a 30w or 50w screaming off it's tree out of the launchers is a pain in the arse due to the weight of the setup. And if the rod has rollers the potential to bust off if you twist the rod is higher

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Tue May 29, 2018 1:02 am

cobby wrote:Only time I'd have a spin outfit for trolling is set as shotgun in the launchers way out back with a small plastic/slug/stickbait on a 7ft or so rod. And that's only because getting a 30w or 50w screaming off it's tree out of the launchers is a pain in the arse due to the weight of the setup. And if the rod has rollers the potential to bust off if you twist the rod is higher
Having had a marlin take the shotgun lucky I had a 6 foot 2 mate on board who wrestled the the rod and 50 tld out I now run a shotgun rigger and have the rod on the transom where I can reach it

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue May 29, 2018 8:27 am

purple5ive wrote:
smile0784 wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
4liters wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
EXACTLY WHAT I WAS GOING TO SAY :thumbsup:
besides that you already have the terez that you can use to cast.
if your just looking to waste money then just give it to me mate :rofl:
Coming from the bloke who trolled for tuna using a Daiwa BG
ive got confidence in myself and my technique :-D ,
id rather a spin outfit any day than an overhead.

reason i suggested to OP to stick with overheads is because he already has them.
Was thinking of getting 2 game spin outfits for you or other mates to use if we go game fishing

i have my own mate, thats what i take with me when im going offshore, as 4 lites already mentioned, i troll for tuna with my spin gear, and yesterday we had 3 spin outfits trolling (one monstrositity of a penn, one 6500BG and one 20k gossa) and 2 overheads . plus another 2 spins for casting stickbaits.

if your just getting an outfit for others and dont want to break the bank
i suggest a BG8000 or a saragossa equivalent or even a penn and a saltist bluewater 60S/monster mesh 531 or something similar in size which will land a barrel if you get enough line on the reel.
this combo wont break the bank like the other suggested combos, but the expensive ones are certainly nicer to use.

ive compared the gossa and BG side by side, gossa certainly has a nicer sounding drag, BG is defenitely smoother to wind and both have nice smooth drag. gossa holds more line and has higher drag capacity. but thats a bit hard to compare because theres no two that are exact same size between the brands.

if your mates can use the overheads then thats easily sorted, i cant and i dont expect guys that im going out with to have offshore spin gear, so i bought my own even though i know very well it will only get used sparingly
I got other mates that arent over confident with over heads

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue May 29, 2018 8:33 am

smile0784 wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
smile0784 wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
4liters wrote: Coming from the bloke who trolled for tuna using a Daiwa BG

reason i suggested to OP to stick with overheads is because he already has them.
Was thinking of getting 2 game spin outfits for you or other mates to use if we go game fishing

i have my own mate, thats what i take with me when im going offshore, as 4 lites already mentioned, i troll for tuna with my spin gear, and yesterday we had 3 spin outfits trolling (one monstrositity of a penn, one 6500BG and one 20k gossa) and 2 overheads . plus another 2 spins for casting stickbaits.

i suggest a BG8000 or a saragossa equivalent or even a penn and a saltist bluewater 60S/monster mesh 531 or something similar in size which will land a barrel if you get enough line on the reel.
this combo wont break the bank like the other suggested combos, but the expensive ones are certainly nicer to use.

ive compared the gossa and BG side by side, gossa certainly has a nicer sounding drag, BG is defenitely smoother to wind and both have nice smooth drag. gossa holds more line and has higher drag capacity. but thats a bit hard to compare because theres no two that are exact same size between the brands.

if your mates can use the overheads then thats easily sorted, i cant and i dont expect guys that im going out with to have offshore spin gear, so i bought my own even though i know very well it will only get used sparingly
Sounds like you need to get better mates
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue May 29, 2018 8:58 am

4liters wrote:
smile0784 wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
smile0784 wrote:
purple5ive wrote:

Sounds like you need to get better mates
ive got you on camera handling an overhead i wouldn't be so cocky if i were you, thats all im going to say :rofl:

Ricky im more than capable of using an overhead with level wind mind you, i just choose to not use it .

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Tue May 29, 2018 9:21 am

Most big game reels dont have level winds

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue May 29, 2018 9:26 am

So you gonna but the 2 new combos before you head up in a couple of weeks mate?

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue May 29, 2018 9:33 am

smile0784 wrote:Most big game reels dont have level winds
Yes am aware of that.
thats why i struggled on the tuna i got cause there was no level wind on it. went to the shop quicksmart and got myself some entry level spin outfits for this sorta purpose, which is why i suggested them to you as well. up to you how much $$$ you want to spend though.

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Tue May 29, 2018 9:38 am

Plus i wouldn't mind trying to get a tuna or marlin on a spin outfit.

Never done that before

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”