Tips for Gunnamatta

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Tips for Gunnamatta

Post by CarlG » Sat May 12, 2018 7:00 am

Winds; North West is bo11ocks, as it is racing parralel to the beach, North East is perfect, northerly is fishable, round to east nor east. Obviously I'm talking about winds above 10knots here, anything under that, you can fish any direction really.
Lures, whatever casts well. Busted lures from Frank Fernkorn are awesome, lazers are Excellent, as are Gillies baitfish. I would say 40 grams and above for normal conditions, for a number of reasons, but you go to what weight your rod will handle.
Walk, cast, Walk, cast.
He who casts most, wins. Remember that saying when your lure fishing down there, it will stand you in good stead.
I'd normally start somewhat past the steps, work my way up past the first set of rocks on the way to Cape Schanck, and back again.
Look for anything that stands out, edges of gutters are good, patches of wash on calmer days, obviously any dark patches that are moving lol...
Bait fishing, ask guys who know, I only bait fish for gummies down there, so I'm not really the person to ask.
Any detailed questions, pm me.

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Tue May 15, 2018 7:12 pm

CarlG wrote:Winds; North West is bo11ocks, as it is racing parralel to the beach, North East is perfect, northerly is fishable, round to east nor east. Obviously I'm talking about winds above 10knots here, anything under that, you can fish any direction really.
Lures, whatever casts well. Busted lures from Frank Fernkorn are awesome, lazers are Excellent, as are Gillies baitfish. I would say 40 grams and above for normal conditions, for a number of reasons, but you go to what weight your rod will handle.
Walk, cast, Walk, cast.
He who casts most, wins. Remember that saying when your lure fishing down there, it will stand you in good stead.
I'd normally start somewhat past the steps, work my way up past the first set of rocks on the way to Cape Schanck, and back again.
Look for anything that stands out, edges of gutters are good, patches of wash on calmer days, obviously any dark patches that are moving lol...
Bait fishing, ask guys who know, I only bait fish for gummies down there, so I'm not really the person to ask.
with the lures are you using snaps i was just going to use breaden snaps?

CarlG

Post by CarlG » Tue May 15, 2018 8:21 pm

dazz999 wrote:
CarlG wrote:Winds; North West is bo11ocks, as it is racing parralel to the beach, North East is perfect, northerly is fishable, round to east nor east. Obviously I'm talking about winds above 10knots here, anything under that, you can fish any direction really.
Walk, cast, Walk, cast.
I use a decoy egg snap, hitched onto a small barrel swivel.
Only snap we've found that simply won't lock back on itself while casting.

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Wed May 16, 2018 6:12 pm

CarlG wrote:
dazz999 wrote:
Walk, cast, Walk, cast.
I use a decoy egg snap, hitched onto a small barrel swivel.
Only snap we've found that simply won't lock back on itself while casting.
thank,s Carl what size snaps work for you

FishHunter81

Post by FishHunter81 » Wed May 16, 2018 6:50 pm

Wanting to go this Saturday but not sure about SW winds at 25. Not sure if rig will get out to the areas. other wise may stick to piers on ppb side. Does anyone think that wind will be fishable?

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Wed May 16, 2018 7:11 pm

FishHunter81 wrote:Wanting to go this Saturday but not sure about SW winds at 25. Not sure if rig will get out to the areas. other wise may stick to piers on ppb side. Does anyone think that wind will be fishable?
NO

CarlG

Post by CarlG » Wed May 16, 2018 7:25 pm

Brett wrote:
FishHunter81 wrote:Wanting to go this Saturday but not sure about SW winds at 25. Not sure if rig will get out to the areas. other wise may stick to piers on ppb side. Does anyone think that wind will be fishable?
NO
X2

FishHunter81

Post by FishHunter81 » Wed May 16, 2018 7:54 pm

Damn. Thought so. Looks like it will be the piers instead.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed May 16, 2018 9:19 pm

Yea not a good idea mate but plenty of good piers down that way :thumbsup:
Why don’t you give the squid a go?

brybry

Post by brybry » Wed May 16, 2018 10:04 pm

Bait fish down there quite a bit when I’m feeling lazy and couldn’t be bothered walking the beach. By far the majority of fish caught have taken a surf popper (usually lime green, but blue or red have also taken a few). Take a variety of sinkers with you. Although you want to fish as light as you can, the side wash can make keeping a bait in place difficult.

Return to “Gunnamatta Beach and The Back Beaches”