Snapper at docklands

The Fishing Victoria Forum is Australia's leading online fishing forum with comprehensive resources for Victorian fishermen, anglers and fishos. Check out the latest fishing & tackle news, tips, fishing reports and detailed fish information.
barwonboy

Re: Snapper at docklands

Post by barwonboy » Wed May 09, 2018 2:56 pm

went out to docklands today, got there about 7:00 and fishing for 5 or so hours, ended up catching nothing at all, dad used mackeral as bait and i used paddle tail plastics, curly tail plastics, blades, hardbodys and still couldnt get a hit. saw heaps of huge bream but couldnt get them to bite. ah well maybe another time

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed May 09, 2018 3:03 pm

barwonboy wrote:went out to docklands today, got there about 7:00 and fishing for 5 or so hours, ended up catching nothing at all, dad used mackeral as bait and i used paddle tail plastics, curly tail plastics, blades, hardbodys and still couldnt get a hit. saw heaps of huge bream but couldnt get them to bite. ah well maybe another time
Atleast you have it a shot.

Does anyone use.fresh stripped.tuna for bream down here?

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Wed May 09, 2018 3:05 pm

:tongue:
Marty.A wrote:
LINwAd wrote:Don't really know how to attach this image, but this is the average size being pulled out on lures (someone post image if you can, on phone ATM)

No probs done.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 8220671198
Cute fish

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Post by eddyt » Wed May 09, 2018 3:21 pm

The trick with the bream is to go UNWEIGHTED. Small hook with a small bit of pilchard/mackerel/bread and let it very slowly drift down next to a pylon. Let out some slack line and strike if it does anything funny. Fish sps like this too

The other day i also got smoked by a big trevally when reeling my blade in. He just smacked it and went straight into a pylon. Twice - first one dropped the hooks, second one busted me off.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed May 09, 2018 6:54 pm

barwonboy wrote:went out to docklands today, got there about 7:00 and fishing for 5 or so hours, ended up catching nothing at all, dad used mackeral as bait and i used paddle tail plastics, curly tail plastics, blades, hardbodys and still couldnt get a hit. saw heaps of huge bream but couldnt get them to bite. ah well maybe another time
Still you gave it a go mate :thumbsup:
I’ve noticed that often when you see those big breams they don’t take anything. I have only had luck with unweighted yabbies in the past.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed May 09, 2018 6:55 pm

smile0784 wrote:

Never used that technique before have you had luck with it before?

STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Post by STriplett1997 » Wed May 09, 2018 7:46 pm

eddyt wrote:The trick with the bream is to go UNWEIGHTED. Small hook with a small bit of pilchard/mackerel/bread and let it very slowly drift down next to a pylon. Let out some slack line and strike if it does anything funny. Fish sps like this too

The other day i also got smoked by a big trevally when reeling my blade in. He just smacked it and went straight into a pylon. Twice - first one dropped the hooks, second one busted me off.
x2

STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Post by STriplett1997 » Wed May 09, 2018 7:47 pm

Unweighted baits works. Caught 9 trevally with a mate doing this and had one big bream smash my unweighted pillie fillet and take me right round the pylons.

Need to make stuff look natural bro. They’re finicky. Waste of time for pinkies, better off going between black rock - port Melbourne with this wind..

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Wed May 09, 2018 7:55 pm

Lightningx wrote:
smile0784 wrote:

Never used that technique before have you had luck with it before?
Fresh strippie is a killer bait at bermagui.
Only thing the old timers use wuth great success

barwonboy

Post by barwonboy » Wed May 09, 2018 8:10 pm

forgot to add that i was going unweighted, i went to docklands very often last year and i still havent cracked the bream, ill have to keep trying because ive tried everything ive heard of, unweighted bait, crab lures, soft plastics, blades. ah well maybe another time :thumbsup: :water:

Return to “Welcome to Fishing Victoria”