Like your steak rare, not your engines

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
TheGreatestGoat

Like your steak rare, not your engines

Post by TheGreatestGoat » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:09 pm

To each their own, but for me, there's nothing better than a juicy rare steak. Succulent and delicious.

Engines on the other hand, are a commodity best served well done.

When I purchased my boat some 18 months ago, I should have been more careful when selecting the motor. It was in great condition, well serviced. Running well. It was also a well known brand.

It didn't cross my mind that this particular motor was a wash up of a now defunct OMC company. The Evinrude ELAN 35hp.

Had a fair few issues with this motor and took it in to Southside Marine (as covered in a recent thread). Alan was quick to tell me that this engine is as rare as hens teeth in Australia. Checks out, given I can't even find a service manual for it online.

Turns out it's an electrical fault the tune of which is going to be close to $1.8k in parts and labour to fix.

Lesson learned. But, it is what it is, and we move on.

Now it get's interesting. What to do next?

a) Get the new parts and fix it. Hope nothing else goes wrong. BUT, essentially fixing a well known problem in a rare(ish) engine with the plausibility of having more issues in the future and parts being hard to find
b) Buy another engine. Something second hand, easily available, easy to fix. Potentially get something pretty decent for around $3k. Feel the boat is slightly under-powered anyway at 35 so could step it up. Sit on the old engine and scope out ebay/wreckers for the parts over a few months and hope something pops up. Then fix it up and sell to subsidize the outlay of the new engine
c) Do nothing. Put all my fishing photos on the digital cloud. Refer back to them every now and then in a morose stupor. Check weathered piers for the signs of squid ink. Argue with people in the comments of fishing Facebook pages. Occasionally order fish an chips and reminisce on the good old days.
d) ??

Taking all suggestions on their merit, with a preference for avoiding option C.

Cheers,
Goat

Brownie

Re: Like your steak rare, not your engines

Post by Brownie » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:33 pm

Dont have a boat these days but been down that road with a couple of older cars.
B

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:37 am

1 Get another quote
2 Find out what the fault is $1800 for an Elect fault sounds hi for a 35 hp
3 Get suitable parts from an outboard wrecker in Aussie or the USA
4 Have a go at fixing it yourself -If you know/ found the fault
I had a Yammie 4 stroke not long ago.Charging system was working sometimes and sometimes not.Took a few weeks to sort out -A corroded connection in the loom under the dash-What looked like a huge drama ie Many parts for the charging system -Fix was a inline crimp
So dont give up.
I believe that Boat Mechanics are good at Mechanical things but electrics I dont think so-That why there are Car Mechanics and Auto Elects

Tackleberry
Has liked: 289 times

Post by Tackleberry » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:50 am

that motor isn't even worth $1000 let alone the money they want to fix it get another one

they are the 3 cylinder 35 they made and are anaemic for a 35 anyway .
"When the people fear the Govn't, that is Tyrany, when the Govn't fear the people, that is Liberty"

Experience is what you get when **** happens

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:25 am

Mate treat yaself to a Yamaha/Suzuki 4 banger. U won't look back. Throw ya old steak thing outboard on Ebay and be done with it

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:15 am

D- Crowdfund to get the GOAT a new motor or do as others have fake a terminal illness that may get you in trouble though.

repspec
Has liked: 11 times

Post by repspec » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:34 am

id be curious to see what the parts and labour were that equaled to $1800.

yes those motors are average... They were made arount the time when OMC were going under (for the 2nd or 3rd time before Bombardier bought them out)
Dont put good money into a bad project. Look for something like a Mercury or Yamaha in the 30-40hp range, electric start, possibly with trim... Dont buy from QLD...most of them are knackered and have done lots of work and sit around in QLD muggy conditions.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:50 am

Option B. Buy the biggest Yamaha you can put on it, strip down the old engine and sell the parts individually on eBay

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:59 am

Given the motor would have been $3500ish brand new spending half the new value of the engine repairing it doesn't seem like good value.

What parts need to be replaced that effect the tune?

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:17 am

Option B if you have the cash.
buy a cheaper 2 stroke 50 if it will fit the budget and enjoy some air time as well.
a mercury/tohatsu/mariner would be my pick.

i would also try and get some quotes from others, but the evinrudes are known for expensive electrical faults

Return to “General”