Please give me advice

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Jimsfishing5

Please give me advice

Post by Jimsfishing5 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:51 pm

So i have spent almost 50 hours fishing and caught nothing. I have been out about 15 times,sometimes with experienced fishermen and sometimes just with my brother. I have been told that my rigs are fine and so is my casting,i only go early monring (6am) or early night (5pm) becuase i have been told this is the best time. I have fished at about 6 or 7 different spots around the bay and one or two freshwater. Both my brother and sister have cuaght fish on my rod,but not me. A few people have called it “the curse”. My question is... Is there something obvious i am doing wrong? I know its not always my placement,becuase people casting 3m away have caught fish but not me. I have tried lures (hard and soft) and bait (pippies,worms,squid,bluebait) to no avail. Do many people go this long without catching anything?? Is it just my bad luck? Everytime i go out now my parents are like “please just catch a fish”.

Please dont say “just get a boat” i am strictly land based,until i at least catch a few fish.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Please give me advice

Post by Lightningx » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:05 pm

I have had bad luck in the past probably like 10 trips with donuts but have always gotten onto fish eventually. You are fishing at very good times. So you’re saying you haven’t even caught a toadie? No undersize fish? Just absolutely nothing after 15 sessions???

russellh2
Has liked: 1 time

Post by russellh2 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:16 pm

Are you a smoker - tobacco smell on hand/hands?? - If so wash your hands thoroughly before you bait up or get a non smoker to bait for you.

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:20 pm

Are you fishing saltwater or fresh?
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:23 pm

mate not long till the garfish come in so goggle rigs etc

Brownie

Post by Brownie » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:24 pm

russellh2 wrote:Are you a smoker - tobacco smell on hand/hands?? - If so wash your hands thoroughly before you bait up or get a non smoker to bait for you.
Apparently contain an attractant!
http://www.bcf.com.au/Product/Fish-Off- ... 0pk/163818

bilby

Post by bilby » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:43 pm

Get some live earthworms, size 8 hook and lightly weighted running sinker - then throw them in the Yarra around the Richmond area. You will catch bream.

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Post by sloth » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:21 pm

Sounds like bad luck but hard to know without more detail.

I'd say first off concentrate on one or two species and one or two techniques until you get confident with them. Constantly chopping and changing won't help you learn any quicker.

It's hard to know what you're doing but two common mistakes are fishing the wrong places and fishing too fast (with lures).

Fish generally like to hold close to structure so cast "at" something - don't just plop it into the middle of the river/bay and just hope a fish passes by.

You can't fish a soft plastic too slow. Just keep rod tip high, couple quick winds of the reel handle to pop it off the bottom and then let it sink until the line goes slack again. Leave it anything from ten to thirty seconds and repeat.

If you hop a soft plastic grub like that along the bottom alongside a pier you'll get something eventually. There's usually always fish around the pylons of most piers.

MasterBaiter24
Has liked: 36 times

Post by MasterBaiter24 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:46 pm

Hi!
If you want to catch something, head over to stony point pier! It's probably my favourite spot for a feed of leatherjackets which are quite tasty, if cooked right. All you need to do is burley up with basically anything that has a bit of a pong to it (pilly cubes, tuna oil, chicken feed) right next to the pier and just drop peeled prawns on a long shank hook thats about the size of your pinky finger nail (the hook itself) using minimum a 1/2oz sinker - the tide runs very fast next to the pier. I prefer a paternoser double hook rig. My fav spot is the top left of the pier, just dropping down the bait, into the burley slick.
By doing this you are in for a pretty big chance for grass whiting (up to 30cm) toadies and leatherjackets (Once caught a 47cm one by doing this)
Best done on the slack tide
Good luck!

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:38 am

russellh2 wrote:Are you a smoker - tobacco smell on hand/hands?? - If so wash your hands thoroughly before you bait up or get a non smoker to bait for you.
Heard of this but i got 2 mates that smoke and they still catch a few

Return to “General”