Long Weekend Fishing Trip

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
wem21
Has liked: 42 times

Long Weekend Fishing Trip

Post by wem21 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:04 pm

Hi guys!
Spent a couple days on the coast and did plenty of fishing with some mates and others.

Day 1:
We got to Lorne pier at around 7am, and started casting some lures around. It was really damn crowded. A mate caught a salmon on a vibe, while the rest of us came up empty handed (we blame it on the seal). No one was getting any hits or the like, so I switched to some squid jigs, and came up with 2 squid in 2 casts :banana:, dropping a MASSIVE one (45-50cm hood) on the long lift up to the pier. Switched back to placcys but the wind came so we decided to call it a day.
Lures used - Zman slim swimz 1/6th oz jighead, 10g gillies pillies, 1/4oz vibe of some sort, cheapo pink squid jig.

Day 2:
We went to Erskine River for day 2, getting there at about 3 in the arvo, fishing the estuary session. We didnt spend long there, as the bream were super tiny, measuring in at about 5cm, and the bigger models, sitting at 20-25cm couldnt be tempted with a lure. Baits didnt work because they kept getting picked away by the tiny bream. I ended up with a tree branch, a shoe and a 20cm bream, which gave me a run for my money by taking a big run into a very snaggy area. We also went to Painkalac creek, which was the same situation with the tiny bream.
Lures/baits used: Peeled prawns, zman grubz on a 1/6th jighead

Day 3:
On our way back, we hit up cunningham pier and were rewarded with success. Using soft plastics and peeled prawns, we just dropped them off the side of the pier and vertical jigged it. I caught 4 pinkies on a zman slim swim with a 1/6th oz jighead, 3 on 29cm and a keeper on 32cm. My mates, using weakling baits, caught 7 pinkies and 3 undersized KGW. 5 of the pinkies were around the 30cm mark, while the last two were dead on 31cm.
It was getting dark so we called it a day and went our seperate ways. The pinkies were tons of fun on 1lb mono, as we were trying to catch the tiny bream and couldnt be bothered re-spooling although it was a challenge deadlifting them up. Pics ares still on one of those expensive cameras, I should be able to post them tomorrow.
Lures/baits used: zman slim swimz 1/6oz jighead, peeled prawns.

Cheers guys!

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Long Weekend Fishing Trip

Post by purple5ive » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:12 pm

Good to hear, and you did well dead lifting almost anything on 1LB line.
cheers

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:46 pm

Sound like a.interesting long weekend

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:09 am

Sounds like you guys had a fun few days down there :thumbsup:

Brownie

Post by Brownie » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:01 pm

Can't find an emoji to fit this reply, but, OO , that's my eyes wide open and in astonishment, 1 lb!? I'd use heavier to catch yabbies in a farm dam and sow a pair of socks!

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”