11/3/2018 report

Mornington, Mt Martha, McCrae, Safety Beach, Mt Eliza
one2three

Re: 11/3/2018 report

Post by one2three » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:59 am

Lightningx wrote:Yesterday the missus and I took a drive down to Mornington, and while we were there went to check out Mornington pier.
The place was absolutely packed. The guy next to me got one and as he was putting it in a bag an old guy came and casted straight into his spot.
I managed to get one too but then next cast a guy from the other side casted into my spot and tangled my line and after another tangle was enough for me so we decided to leave which turned out to be a great decision.

We quickly headed to another spot not far from there where in the past we have done well with much bigger size squid.
Arrived at around 6:30 and stayed till around 8 and in that time we managed 17 squid between us. Had to leave them biting as we didn't bring our headlights for after dark :rofl:

Will be giving some to the family and am also looking forward to a good feed of fresh calamari myself!

squid12.jpg

squid13.jpg

squid 14.jpg

Cheers,

LX.

Great catch and feed.

Well done.

:-D
Jack of all trades, Master of none

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:58 am

STriplett1997 wrote:It’s a given on a long weekend to be that way. Normally isn’t as bad. I was there Saturday arvo until after sunset, caught a decent bag with a few a bit bigger which was good! Left after the sun went down because of the hundreds of people casting lines all over the shop... you won in the end that’s a great LB feed, good job
Cheers mate.
Yea if I go next time it definitely won’t be on the weekend. Probably not as bad during the week.

STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Post by STriplett1997 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:18 pm

Lightningx wrote:
STriplett1997 wrote:It’s a given on a long weekend to be that way. Normally isn’t as bad. I was there Saturday arvo until after sunset, caught a decent bag with a few a bit bigger which was good! Left after the sun went down because of the hundreds of people casting lines all over the shop... you won in the end that’s a great LB feed, good job
Cheers mate.
Yea if I go next time it definitely won’t be on the weekend. Probably not as bad during the week.

I’m heading down there in a couple hours to catch some bait for tonight, I’ll let you know what it’s like with the amount of people

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:52 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:Nice one mate! some good sized ones in there. Usually always pays to find your own fish!

Cheers, Anth
Thanks Anth!
Too right about finding your own spot :P
Got a few nice size ones much bigger than the tiddly little ones at mp :rofl:

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:35 pm

Lightningx wrote:
dazz999 wrote:nice catch well done what jig did the damage
Cheers dazz.
The white Sephia in 3.0 size did all the damage :)
same 3.0 jig for me

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:49 pm

FishHunter81 wrote:Great LB effort. People were everywhere again today on MP and I witnessed a heated argument about space. Just laughed and fished managing to to catch only 2. Asian lady next to me bagged out with similar pink jig that I was using. Plenty being caught. I thought I would then try towards Mount Martha rocks but I got to the Esplanade and found that road was closed for works. Couldnt access cliff area. I will try on weekend there hopefully the squid are still around there. They are sure running hot as even Frankston pier have been getting them.
Cheers.
Cheers mate and good luck on the weekend. Hope you do well :thumbsup:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:11 am

one2three wrote:
Lightningx wrote:Yesterday the missus and I took a drive down to Mornington, and while we were there went to check out Mornington pier.
The place was absolutely packed. The guy next to me got one and as he was putting it in a bag an old guy came and casted straight into his spot.
I managed to get one too but then next cast a guy from the other side casted into my spot and tangled my line and after another tangle was enough for me so we decided to leave which turned out to be a great decision.

We quickly headed to another spot not far from there where in the past we have done well with much bigger size squid.
Arrived at around 6:30 and stayed till around 8 and in that time we managed 17 squid between us. Had to leave them biting as we didn't bring our headlights for after dark :rofl:

Will be giving some to the family and am also looking forward to a good feed of fresh calamari myself!

squid12.jpg

squid13.jpg

squid 14.jpg

Cheers,

LX.

Great catch and feed.

Well done.

:-D
Thanks mate. Was a fun session :)

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:11 am

STriplett1997 wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
Cheers mate.

I’m heading down there in a couple hours to catch some bait for tonight, I’ll let you know what it’s like with the amount of people
How did you go with the bait? Was it still packed?

one2three

Post by one2three » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:00 am

Hi Guys,

A little off the topic but which squid fishing what is an EGI jig? I know the jig but what is EGI?
Jack of all trades, Master of none

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Post by eddyt » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:49 pm

Egi is just Japanese for squid jig

Return to “Mornington To Dromana”