East Gippsland - NSW 13/3/2018 -

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

East Gippsland - NSW 13/3/2018 -

Post by Kimtown » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:45 pm

Will be loading up the boat, rods, esky and swag and making my way up the East coast leaving on the 13th of March.

The plan is - no plan at all! 2 weeks annual leave and will be mostly winging it, fishing wherever and whenever suits. Likely to do a couple nights at Lake Tyres, then head to Bemm river, Tamboon before eventually meeting a couple mates in Mallacoota on the 17th/18th where we will stay at my friends holiday house. Other than that, I'll be roughing it camping on the banks/sleeping in the boat and maybe rent out a cabin for a night or 2 if the weather turns really nasty. Might sneak up to Eden way after the Mallacoota weekend if the wind looks like it's going to be kind to me, and test the waters offshore.

I have never fished past Lake Tyres before, so Bemm river onwards will be all new to me. Any advice, or tips or places I must try for a fish, feel free to post guys! Thankfully, I am departing shortly before the new moon, which bodes well for me as I love prawning in Lake Tyres and I imagine it would be pretty similar in the following estuaries along the coast.

Also, obviously I'm going to be fishing for over a week - 2 weeks. Most of the fish I catch will be cleaned at the end of the day and straight on ice in the esky in the boat.... 2 things, one: how long can fish be kept fresh on ice before needing to be eaten/frozen, and two: how do I prove to fisheries that I caught what I caught earlier in the week? I'll have a esky in the car as well, but I might not get back to my car at the ramp for up to 2-3 days.

I'll use this thread to update my daily reports (if I have reception/4G) :a_goodjob:

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Re: East Gippsland - NSW 13/3/2018 -

Post by Mattblack » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:03 pm

Living the dream....is the majority of the trip a solo adventure?

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:11 pm

I wouldnt leave fish for more then 2 days in ice in a eski before hard freezing in a freezer.
Could bag the fisg and then write the date on the bag.
If your say camping your way up there i would maining catch and release fish with a pic and only keep if your planning to eat that night or the next night.

What sort of eski do you have and are you planning to get ice every second or 3rd day.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:27 pm

Nice mate!
Enjoy :thumbsup:

Fishbref
Has liked: 41 times

Post by Fishbref » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:01 pm

Look forward to the photos...

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:18 pm

Fishbref wrote:Look forward to the photos...
Same here :thumbsup:

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:55 pm

X2

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:44 pm

smile0784 wrote:I wouldnt leave fish for more then 2 days in ice in a eski before hard freezing in a freezer.
Could bag the fisg and then write the date on the bag.
If your say camping your way up there i would maining catch and release fish with a pic and only keep if your planning to eat that night or the next night.

What sort of eski do you have and are you planning to get ice every second or 3rd day.
2 eskys

1x 70 litre techni ice classic
1x 120 litre evakool fiberglass

The little one will likely stay under my hard lid in the Ute the entire time and I'll transfer keeping fish into that, where as the bigger one will be in the boat and keep all my bait, food, drinks and daily catches in

Will replace ice when required but both could keep ice preserved the entire time if I do all the right things. Do you think prawns would be ok on ice for up to a week or so?? Or should I be looking at cooking them and freezing as soon as I possibly can

Also yes, it's mostly a solo trip besides meeting my mates in mallacoota for the one weekend.

Looking forward to it, although I must admit I am a little nervous about camping on the bank all by myself around a few of these areas lol

silloth

Post by silloth » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:48 pm

just got back today from my annual mallacouta trip, 4 days land based fishing
fished the wharf caught my biggest tailor, also garfish and a flounder
fished gypsy point for 3 small bream, 1 nice flattie up the narrows
entrance closed non tidal also the betka river entrance closed

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin