Fishing Report Cup Weekend - Finally cracked a squid, only 2 others to go

Warneet, Tooradin, Grantville, Stockyard Point, Lang Lang, Grantville, Koo Wee Rup Corinella, Coronet Bay, San Remo
Vargs

Re: Fishing Report Cup Weekend - Finally cracked a squid, only 2 others to go

Post by Vargs » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:04 am

Thanks for the tips. I will get some scales and set my drag to understand what one third feels like resistance wise.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:03 am

Unless your serting for 10 to 15kg rods + rating rods you can use your hands.
I have a 3 to 5 kg rod and 7kg braid. So i set the drag to it start to pull off when the rod bends 1/3 to 2/3s. So no chance of the rod breaking

If you hook up to a big fish you can adjust it at the time but could just le the fish run a bit or just hold the spool to stop the fish from running.

If using braid good idea to have the drag just loose enough you can pull it out with your hand so you slice your hand on the braid. (Done that twice now)

STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Post by STriplett1997 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:20 pm

I'd crank up your leader mate. 60lb minimum. 20/30lb mainline braid, 80lb shock leader and 60lb main leader is what i use, i find black magic leaders are strong, thin in diamteter and always do the job never had it break. As for the drag, you want there to be enough pressure for the hook/hooks to set when it goes to run, and change it accordingly during the fight if you need to.. i usually back the drag off as its getting a bit closer to the boat so the hooks don't pull, depending how big the fish is. you never muscle in a fish out there in western port.

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:22 pm

STriplett1997 wrote:I'd crank up your leader mate. 60lb minimum. 20/30lb mainline braid, 80lb shock leader and 60lb main leader is what i use, i find black magic leaders are strong, thin in diamteter and always do the job never had it break. As for the drag, you want there to be enough pressure for the hook/hooks to set when it goes to run, and change it accordingly during the fight if you need to.. i usually back the drag off as its getting a bit closer to the boat so the hooks don't pull, depending how big the fish is. you never muscle in a fish out there in western port.

Hey strippett
Do you use 30lb braid then 80lb as a shock leader / wind on then 60lb as your trace line?

Why such a increase as wind on if your trace is only 60lb?
Just curious.
I only heard of such difference on game set ups with main line 24kg with 200lb wind ons when traces for marlin are mornall anything from 100 to 300lb

STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Post by STriplett1997 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:58 pm

I use 20lb braid then a heavier shock leader than my main leader which is done by braid to mono knot, main leader always 60lb mainly because of the by catch + fighting the bycatch in a raging current. Seems to work well, catching decent fish so not gonna change it :thumbsup:

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:12 pm

STriplett1997 wrote:I use 20lb braid then a heavier shock leader than my main leader which is done by braid to mono knot, main leader always 60lb mainly because of the by catch + fighting the bycatch in a raging current. Seems to work well, catching decent fish so not gonna change it :thumbsup:
If you get the fish stick with it.
I was just curious
On snapper rods i use 30lb braid with 6mt 40lb mono wind on to a snap then my traces of 15kg

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:05 am

Awesome work! I am yet to catch a squid too!
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

Return to “Warneet To San Remo”