Fishing Report nice afternoon out - plus dodgy hooks..

Warneet, Tooradin, Grantville, Stockyard Point, Lang Lang, Grantville, Koo Wee Rup Corinella, Coronet Bay, San Remo
STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Fishing Report nice afternoon out - plus dodgy hooks..

Post by STriplett1997 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:21 pm

Took my girlfriend out yesterday late morning and into the arvo for a day on the water, was a great day. Warm, sunny and like a sheet of glass.
imgonline-com-ua-compressed-gYtCQiLwTrUJ4GuN.jpg
Motored out to my favourite squid spot on Quail and within the first 5 minutes we had 3 bait sized squid which was enough to get fishing.
imgonline-com-ua-compressed-XJtYijc6ls0dsL.jpg
Then the plan was to anchor up on the very last of the outgoing tide get the rods rigged up and burley in. As soon as the water went still 1 Whiting straight away then quiet for 5 or so minutes, then as the boat swung around and the tide just started to faintly run.. the whiting went nuts, unfortunately for a very very short window but we managed to boat 6 Whiting no record breakers but they both have two fillets at the end of the day.. very tasty fillets. Unfortunately i lost a very big Whiting during the fight just as he saw the boat, no action after that, guessing he spooked the school. Great fun on light rods and braid, makes me wanna start fishing for them full on and forget the Snapper! After that nice bit of action i took up the whiting rods and we put out two snapper rods with fresh calamari cut into rings. within 5 minutes my rod started bouncing with that vicious snapper attack, waited for it to load and boom hooked up, at first i thought it was just a little pinky, it gave a decent first run when hooked but it wasnt till i got it half way to the boat that it started to put up a fuss.. a nice small 2kg Snapper, great eating size :thumbsup: , we also caught a couple pinkies that we released so they'd grow bigger, and few other bits of rubbish like PJ sharks and a Banjo. Not a great day with Reds but certainly beats not being out there, a great feed. I think she'll be coming with me more often now. A mate of mine suggested i try these hooks for snapper to save a bit of money and reassured me they wouldn't bend and do all the things you don't want them to do, Mustard Penetrator Ultrapoint suicides. After using them this time i definetly won't be using them again. I normally use Gamakatsu's but thought i'd give them a go. LOOK what the 2kg fish did to the bottom hook.. if it was any bigger i don't know if i would have boated it. Might be more expensive to buy Gama's and get less of them but its worth it. :water:
imgonline-com-ua-compressed-Jm6dTnOOV3L8y.jpg
imgonline-com-ua-compressed-Howvw39mSC1lhVk.jpg
Last edited by STriplett1997 on Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Re: Nice afternoon out - plus dodgy hooks..

Post by Kimtown » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:32 pm

Nice fish mate, get the whiting on squid too? or did ya use pips for them?

and yeah, nothing but gamas for me when chasing snapper/gummy and basically anything else with size.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:44 pm

Have to be happy with a day like that.

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:58 pm

Kimtown wrote:Nice fish mate, get the whiting on squid too? or did ya use pips for them?

and yeah, nothing but gamas for me when chasing snapper/gummy and basically anything else with size.
Cheers mate was a red hot hour. I believe in pippis for Whiting it never lets me down, or bass yabbies if I'm at shallow inlet or invy. Sometimes tenderise a bit of squid and put it on the hook tho. Gamas without a doubt superior, strong and sharp.

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:59 pm

Mattblack wrote:Have to be happy with a day like that.

Was great mate

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:14 pm

Nice report mate.
That’s what it’s all about!
Enjoy the feed :thumbsup:

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Re: Fishing Report nice afternoon out - plus dodgy hooks..

Post by dazz999 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:16 pm

nice catch i liked the mustad penetrator 2/0 only caught small pinkies 35cm etc had no problem but if there bending like that on 2kilo fish might have to change

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:24 pm

dazz999 wrote:nice catch i liked the mustad penetrator 2/0 only caught small pinkies 35cm etc had no problem but if there bending like that on 2kilo fish might have to change
Cheers. Yeah we caught some pinkies on them and it was fine but for the Snapper I'd personally go with Gamakatsu, strong no way they'll bend like that

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:36 pm

Well done mate

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:37 pm

Try bending another hook in the pack just so its not a single issue

Return to “Warneet To San Remo”