East vs west

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

East vs west

Post by Kimtown » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:46 pm

So I've been told I need to take a mandatory 2 weeks annual leave from November to March, so 2 weeks off in march it is.

I've decided I will load up the boat and head solo to tour our magnificent country and fish all the different locations along the way.

There's two clear and obvious choices in my mind. Head east to Eden, and fish the Gippsland lakes, Tyres, Bemm river, Tamboon inlet, Mallacoota and perhaps even up to Merimbula... OR go west of Melbourne into S.A, fishing the likes of the Great Ocean Road, Portland, Robe and maybe all the way to Augusta or even Whyalla...

Obviously any of them trips would be amazing fun and great fishing, but I'm stuck and can't decide. At the moment I'm leaning towards Eden since my cousin has told me how good it is for fishing and scenery but I'd love tone else's opinion that has done either!

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: East vs west

Post by purple5ive » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:55 pm

Edit

Sorry got my fellow boat owners mixed up.

East coast has all the good estuaries if you want to target bream, flathead, estuary perch, tailor and trevally.
Another bonus is Lakes entrance, Cape Conran, Malacoota, Eden and bermi are along the way for offshore / bay stuff if you want.
Last edited by purple5ive on Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:07 pm

If i had to choose i say bermagui. But im biaist. I love it there

benders
Has liked: 169 times

Post by benders » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:13 pm

I have spent quality time at both coasts but if I had 2 weeks I would choose east coast. Reason being it is just a bit nicer to look at and camp sites are just a bit nicer. I love the west coast and surf and fish it as much as I can but I can do the best bits in a long weekend or a week.
Just one opinion though.
Either way, you win.

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:20 pm

I'd say to head East mate, along the NSW coast, especially if you've never been that way before. A beautiful part of the world. The fishing is awesome, with access to some great estuary systems, along with great offshore fishing. Yes, the scenery is also special. Merimbula, Eden, Narooma and anywhere in between are all worth considering. Try to avoid school hols period if possible though, as these places can get quite busy. What boat are you taking along?

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:00 pm

What time you're going and what boat you have determines where.

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:24 pm

I'm fishing out of a 4.85 savage baycruiser, so offshore will be limited to perfect conditions, but I'm more than confident taking it offshore by myself when it suits, no problems.

It will be in march, like i said in the OP, a fortnight before Vic school holidays, and a month before NSW school holidays, so should be quiet as anything!

sounds like East is definitely a winner though!

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:00 am

Lakes entrance,lake tyers,mallacoota then Merimbula short hop to Eden the fishing is endless

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:13 am

Alright it seems it's unanimous in east coasts favour... thought it would be a lot closer tbh lol

East it is

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:57 am

Alright my cousin has found out he can just get the 2 weeks off in march too so he's going to jump on board. He's thrown a spanner in the works and has suggested maybe a weeks reef charter off darwin?

So now it's east coast vs charter. These decisions are too tough, can't I just do them al? :(

Return to “General”