Edencraft 6.0m Review/Report

Born2fish

Re: Edencraft 6.0m Review/Report

Post by Born2fish » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:45 pm

scott__henning wrote:
Born2fish wrote:Have u been fishing corio way as of late i think u have been anchoeing next to me 2 times lol or ur mate has ? Im in a teal colour poly
Nah have only fished Welshpool and Apollo Bay. Must've been another boat
Ah ok dead same boat mate

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:28 pm

scott__henning wrote:
Sinsemilla wrote:I'd love to hear more about the autopilot scott. What situations did you use it in?

Cheers, Anth
The offshore uses are great, point in a direction and cruise or troll on a dead straight line without having to touch the wheel, makes watching the sounder or the spread much easier. Even in swell or rough conditions it keeps you going straight so you're not having to constantly steer.

Even inshore when sounding the edge of the channel you can use it, and there is a little dial you can twist to change the heading so you don't have to re-set it or anything.
Sounds good. I'd love to not touch the wheel and constantly be correcting while trolling. Does it automatically correct your direction if wind and swell are pushing against you?

So you just mark a point ahead of you or where ever and it just heads straight to that point?

Anth

scott__henning
Has liked: 1 time

Post by scott__henning » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:39 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:
scott__henning wrote:
Sinsemilla wrote:I'd love to hear more about the autopilot scott. What situations did you use it in?

Cheers, Anth
The offshore uses are great, point in a direction and cruise or troll on a dead straight line without having to touch the wheel, makes watching the sounder or the spread much easier. Even in swell or rough conditions it keeps you going straight so you're not having to constantly steer.

Even inshore when sounding the edge of the channel you can use it, and there is a little dial you can twist to change the heading so you don't have to re-set it or anything.
Sounds good. I'd love to not touch the wheel and constantly be correcting while trolling. Does it automatically correct your direction if wind and swell are pushing against you?

So you just mark a point ahead of you or where ever and it just heads straight to that point?

Anth
Yep it's constantly correcting your course. The track on the GPS is just a dead straight line afterwards.

You can either set a destination, or just head in a specific direction ie 266 degrees.

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:04 pm

That's very interesting Scott. I fish with a mate with an eden craft, but has a 250 on the back, couldn't praise it enough, completely different to your review. Maybe its set up, two 140's vrs a single 250 is a huge difference in regard to balance. I'd even go as far as saying complete opposites.
He's bringing his boat back to Melbourne for the snapper season, we normally launch out of st Kilda.... can arrange a meet up if your mate wants to compare ?? but as mentioned, completely different set up by the sounds... Mates one came out of Tasmania from a commercial fisherman, had it for about 10 years now......
I know one thing he commented to me was that the more you load it up,( he has a hard top fitted) the better it performs, hence their preference from abalone divers and he's had quite a few big boats, and recons nothings performed out wide, especially in rough conditions than what he has now. I've not been out wide with him yet, hopefully this season.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:25 pm

scott__henning wrote:
cobby wrote:Does it have trim tabs Scott? If not, tell your mate to get them asap. Really calms down the banging and handling when going 'slow' in chop. If it does, then it's a motor trim/tab level issue, with more use and better idea of correct positions the boat won't bang anywhere near as much. That said, once you're used to tin, glass does bang in a different much more noticeable way (and vice versa when used to glass).

Clears, get him to grab a heap of bottles of rain x and some plexus cans. Every few weeks apply with rain x, when really dirty (usually once a month or longer) clean with plexus followed by more rain x. They'll be as close to solid perspex/glass as you can get. As for water entry, little bit of that self adhesive rubber seal along the bottom edge of the clears helps immensely, won't stop all water, but most.

As for fitout, that's the first negative I've heard about Davey marine. I've never been a fan of cabin doors, nor sound systems
Yeah he's got tabs. We've done a lot of fiddling and have yet to find the right amount of trim for the best ride, but at those lower speeds it doesn't seem to matter how much trim, the nose won't come down far enough. I think it might be a bit to do with having twins, and the weight is a bit of an issue. Anyone who buys a boat like that without trim tabs would be mad I recon, without em the boat would be all over the place.

With regard to clears. They are easy enough to see through but doesn't compare to the near 180 degree viewing angle of the glass hardtop, but that's just me being picky. Think something has to be done about sealing them though yeah, a lot of water comes in under the bottom of the clears.

I can't fault the fitout in terms of quality (save the cabin door issue), but yeah just the positioning of some aspects are a bit weird I thought.
Definitely a weight issue, or the motors aren't propped right. I'd be putting weight up front, and maybe look at new props too. Sounds like it falls off the plane to quick and won't get back up. Either the above, or just drive it harder so the boat isn't in the water to bang...

First port of call is the rubber seal strip along the bottom where the clears clip on. Doesn't help the spray deflectors trap a lot of water above them too.

Layout is personal. That said, having anything but a recessed epirb/extinguisher at anyone's knee level is ridiculous

scott__henning

Post by scott__henning » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:46 pm

blacklab99 wrote:That's very interesting Scott. I fish with a mate with an eden craft, but has a 250 on the back, couldn't praise it enough, completely different to your review. Maybe its set up, two 140's vrs a single 250 is a huge difference in regard to balance. I'd even go as far as saying complete opposites.
He's bringing his boat back to Melbourne for the snapper season, we normally launch out of st Kilda.... can arrange a meet up if your mate wants to compare ?? but as mentioned, completely different set up by the sounds... Mates one came out of Tasmania from a commercial fisherman, had it for about 10 years now......
I know one thing he commented to me was that the more you load it up,( he has a hard top fitted) the better it performs, hence their preference from abalone divers and he's had quite a few big boats, and recons nothings performed out wide, especially in rough conditions than what he has now. I've not been out wide with him yet, hopefully this season.
Yeah interesting eh. I do feel like it's got a lot to do with the weight at the back. We are going to a refuge trip in November with a heap of other Edencraft owners, so that will be a good trip to compare the ride, and/or how others drive it and might change my mind on the ride, but we will see.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:20 pm

Firstly getting the best out of every boat is not insignificant. Motor height, weight balance, propping can make a massive difference.

I have been in a older one fitted with twin 115 2 strokes. It was essentially a freshly a Haines V19R with a bolt on pod and extra glass. Good boat built super tough but they are not the softest riding boats but stable and safe. (V19's have never been know for a super great ride)

From what I have been told the current edencrafts have quite a few changes to the older ones so my experience might not be relevant. For example the transom has been changed to a flat back full moulded hull extension similar to cootacraft where as the older ones had bolt on pods.

Just my opinion what you describe in terms of ride s somewhat common of heavy duty built boats. The haines V19R was a 550kg hull weight the new ones from Edencraft are double that. Add a much bigger motor extra fuel and the weight vs the displacement is very different from the original design. With the extra weight they sit a lot deeper in the water and need a lot more speed for the hull to lift and work correctly. Too slow and not enough lift and the hull doesn't work well. Yes you need some weight to keep the hull in the water but too much is also an issue.

I suggest your mates gets rid of the suzuki props IMO they are garbage. (Great for every ounce of efficiency though)

I couldn't believe how much of a different in handling change the zuk props to a mercury mirage plus, truly a night and day difference.

Talk to an expert first but with the weight of twin 140's I would be looking at the mercury Revolution 4's.

scott__henning

Post by scott__henning » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:35 pm

He's looking to change the props out yeah, not sure what he's got lined up though I'll have to ask him. Thanks for the info

Geff577

Post by Geff577 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:28 am

I had issue when I purchased a used boat some of which is posted in the link below.
Weight balance, motor height and proppeller have been changed. I too have a suzuki 4 stroke and changing to mecury proppeller was well worth it.

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=17811&start=10

Good luck getting your new boat working right it will be worth it in the end.

Return to “Boating”