Another good session in tannin waters...

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Another good session in tannin waters...

Post by meppstas » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:26 pm

Another good session in tannin waters..

Another forecast for wind and rain on it's way I headed off to the small tannin waters for a few hours to see if I could add a several more trout to my season tally.. The weather wasn't all that bad when I left home apart from it being a little breezy (8 kph) but not enough to put me off from the fishing. The water level was a bit on the low side when I arrived not that it was too low to fish, it just wouldn't want to drop any more than what it is at this stage. With the drier months not all that far off I won't be fishing these small tannin waters for much longer unless we have some backup rains throughout the the trout season..
IMG_4736 (Medium).JPG
Nice medium flowing stretch of water..
This trip I'm using a new Daiwa Yogiri Sushi Prawn 4F hard body lure, being a bream lure it's just something I want to try it out on the trout.. The first couple of runs there wasn't a sign of a fish and I was thinking perhaps this may not the lure to use on them today. I decided to stick with it a while longer and it was the right decision, the next three small stretches of water gave up three browns from four takes. This bream lure works well on the trout after all which was good to see, I only bought a couple of them so the Sushi Prawn lure will be used again seeing as the trout fancied it..
IMG_4739 (Medium).JPG
First shot using the Daiwa Yogiri F4 sushi prawn hard body lure
IMG_4742 (Medium).JPG
First brown taken here..
IMG_4738 (Medium).JPG
First brown of the day..
IMG_4745 (Medium).JPG
and another nice brown..
There were several stretches of shallow runs that I had to bypass as they were just to low and wouldn't be holding trout any way. The tannin water was much lighter today now the weather has settled down again, but that will change over the next couple of days as there is 10-20 mms of rain forecast for Thursday.
Now back to the fishing, I stuck to fishing the deeper (600-900 mms) runs because I knew they would be holding trout, and they were there. The following ten runs fished I caught and released nine more browns from eleven hook ups. These were all beautifully coloured well conditioned wild browns and they didn't hesitate to take the little Sushi Prawn hard body either.. The wind really picked up as I fished the last two stretches of water so I called it a day. Just on three hours spent in the river and with an even dozen browns caught & released it was time well spent once again as it always is...
IMG_4754 (Medium).JPG
Solid brown picked up here..
IMG_4755 (Medium).JPG
Beautifully coloured & well conditioned brown..
IMG_4741 (Medium).JPG
Number 11 for the session..
IMG_4767 (Medium).JPG
Two browns caught here..
IMG_4761 (Medium).JPG
Last brown caught..
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Re: Another good session in tannin waters...

Post by mazman » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:30 pm

Some plump fish there adrian. That is one of my favourite colours in the yogiri range.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:15 pm

mazman wrote:Some plump fish there adrian. That is one of my favourite colours in the yogiri range.
It certainly did the job Alex, those ghost brown ones you put me onto still do a great job on the trout too.. just a shame Daiwa discontinued them..
Glad I picked up the last 12 that Daiwa had in stock.. I was lucky enough to get them for $11-00 ea & free postage.. These two I picked up for $14-95..

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

Paulanderson
Has liked: 51 times

Post by Paulanderson » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:48 pm

Great pics as usual Adrian and I see the bright red spots are back.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:57 pm

Another great report Adrian!
Sounds like a very successful session.12 browns caught. Not bad at all! Glad to hear the new lure worked well for you!
As always very nice pics. Thoroughly enjoyed he read :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

JS270
Has liked: 1 time

Post by JS270 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:07 pm

Love the report and pictures , may have to head up into the streams before it gets to hot here and the snakes and fire danger take the fun from it :-)

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:13 pm

Thanks guys,
Paul this little river is a light a tannin colour as it gets now and will stay that colour until we get more rain when it will be like black tea again.. The red spots are always on the trout in all the permanent tannin rivers here in Tassie..

Lx that little lure was very successful that's for sure.. very impressed with it and yes I was pretty happy with catching & releasing twelve trout on the
day too..

JS270, the snakes are already out and about down here, been pretty alert when walking through the dead wood and grass near the river banks when I've had to get out the river to go around the log jams..

cheers
Adrian

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:40 pm

Come on Adrian. Your post is killing me.

Good work as usual. Another trophy this year for you

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:03 am

Some nice sized browns there, good work!

I love catching trout on hard bodies. Those clear brown hard bodies do the trick in tannin water for sure.

Anth

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:05 pm

Fish-cador wrote:Come on Adrian. Your post is killing me.

Good work as usual. Another trophy this year for you
I'm working on it "Fish-cador".... need to lift my game though as it's been a slow start to the season so far due to poor weather.. :(
Have only managed to catch & release 113 trout so far this season in 18 trips since the first trip on 7th August..
cheers
Adrian

Return to “Tasmania”